fiat x19 | FerrariChat

fiat x19

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Prancing_Horse, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Can i get some links to info about this model

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Start here or here.

Great little cars. Slow, but fun, and will certainly teach you about Italian engineering ;)

3. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
  4. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
  5. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    thanks for the info

im tryin to find one that doesent have so many miles on it

6. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Great little car. They were actually built with the idea that the US would implement higher crash safety requirements. The requirements never came to be, but the car is really well bulit (from a safety aspect!)
    Good info here on Fiats in general. A must for Fiat/Lancia owner:

http://www.flu.org/

7. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Sam is right on about the safety of the X/19.
    I hit a bus on the highway in my X(hydroplaned) . Anyways not hurt an drove it away with the help of a prybar to pull the front fender out!
    That is why they are pretty heavy for such a small car.

8. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    the only thing is that i dont know where you can get them fixed

9. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    also,

to anyone that has an alfa spider,

where did you get your car?

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

A Chilton's guide and some metric tools takes care of most of it. They're pretty simple cars.

If you're not mechanically inclined, find out who in your area works on Italian cars. It may take some calling around, but there's somebody around who knows how to fix the cars. The mechanic will also probably know about the cars for sale in your area.

In fact, you should start by finding the mechanic, then the car, because you should have the mechanic check the car before you buy it. It'll save you a lot of money and effort.

Beware the following: leaks in the coolant tunnels under the car (you have to run hoses to correct that, it's a pain) and cracks around the top strut mounts. Both indicate a car that's been abused.

11. ForzaFerrari

ForzaFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 25, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Waldo
    I really love those cars! Was a member of a Dutch Una Barra Nove Club for some years but never drove one :( perhaps in the future...
    Here is another nice site:

www.x19club.com

it's in Dutch, but I think you can also view it in English!

12. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Beware the following: leaks in the coolant tunnels under the car (you have to run hoses to correct that, it's a pain) and cracks around the top strut mounts. Both indicate a car that's been abused.[/QUOTE]

Tillman is right. Look for rust (rot through) first in hidden area (eg floor boards) and strut mounts etc. Everything but bad body rot can be fixed at a "reasonable" cost.

13. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    When I started looking for a Spider, I joined the Alfa digest (www.http://www.digest.net/alfa/). Shortly after that, one of the digesti posted a notice that he was selling his Spider. A few e-mails and phone calls and a one-way train ticket later I had it. But in the intervening time I had also been regularly checking ads on cars.com, eBay, and some other on-line ad places. I've since learned that it was an anomaly, but I was able to look at five spiders in one weekend, four of which were within a short drive of Chicago.

If I had to do it again today, I would start with the classifieds on the Alfa Romeo Owners' Club web site, and if your local chapter has a newsletter, they probably have ads there too. The Chicago group posts them on their web site. Unless I was buying something with the intention of doing a restoration, I would want to buy it from an enthusiast; there are too many little things that can go wrong from neglect. Note: regular people treating an old Alfa like any other car constitutes "neglect" for these purposes.

Good luck!

Chuck King
    86 Alfa Romeo Spider