High Mileage Ferraris | FerrariChat

High Mileage Ferraris

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by FAMILY MAN, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    How many of you Ferraristi have " DRIVEN " your cars over 50k miles ? I owned a '92 348ts from 3/94 till 12/97 and logged over 55,ooo miles. I drove it everyday <when it wasn't hospitalized> and I loved it.

I still hear to this day that Ferrari owners don't drive their cars. Drive them ... they run better.

Please reply ...

2. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Well lets see. I have put to date about 884 miles on my 308 that I have owned for about 12 or 13 years. The 250 GT has about 100 miles on it since I bought it six years ago. I have a Lumina Van with 250,000 miles on it that I have owned for five years. Does any of this count?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Sounds like alot of fun. Are you serious?

DL

4. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I thinkk my 64 330 GT 2+2 has about 60something thousand on it as best as I can calculate.

5. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    I am about at 44,000 miles on a 97 550.

6. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    ROCK ON!!!!

DL

7. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    you might have seen my 1998 Ferrari 355 Spider with 102,000 Miles. Drives excellent and runs stronger than any 355 I have driven. I'd say the car runs like my Challenge car. :)

BTW driven by an 80+ year old man for the entire 102,000 Miles.

Martin

8. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I hit 50,000 miles in my '89 328 a few weeks ago! :)

9. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    My 348 has 56,000 mile on the clock. It will be getting many more miles put on it soon as I quit being a lazy butt and put the engine back in it.

10. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** I believe that putting the engine back in would be a plus ! I owned a 1992 348ts which had 59,640 on the odometer when I sold it in 1997. So they are good for 1oo,ooo plus miles and why folks don't drive these cars is puzzling to me. They drive Acura NSXes and Vettes. What is the matter with a Ferrari ? Don't believe the myth that Ferraris break when driven ... actually, they get better with miles and age.

11. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** RIGHT ON keep it up !

12. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Ernie Im ashamed! Get that engine back in and come down to Crystal Cove again! How can you be lazy with a perfectly good Ferrari just waiting to be driven in the garage :)

13. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    LOL Jordan. My wife is even putting the preasure on me. But it will be back on the road very soon.

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    The answer is simple and you already know it. If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Thats the short version.

Oil change: $125-150

Tires every 12-18 months: $1200-1500

Changing the belts/performing a major service because the factory can't design a car with a service interval like an NSX and Vette: Priceless

Sad, but true. A high performance exotic car does not mean you need to spend two or three times (or more) the amount on maintenance as the competition.

If Jaguar can design a tempermental 5.3L V12 that revs to 8,000rpm with stiffer valve springs, dual coils, and revised intake on stock internals and go 200k+ miles in 1971 with 300bhp+ and 300lbs+, and cost half as much as a Ferrari V8 in maintenance, isn't it about time one of our favorite car manufacturers invests in R&D? I'm stupid with my money but I'm not that dumb yet ;)

Sunny

Edit:

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

That's got to be one of the most annoying catch phrases in recorded history. If that were really the case, then you wouldn't have the obvious demand, and desire, for ind service outlets that, lo and behold, charge less -- if everyone that owned one, could "afford it" then why are owners seeking out ind's for service? The informed populous of owners obviously believes that they're being charged more than is reasonable; isn't that why they'd search out another option?
    The real truth is that Ferrari doesn't design the cars pragmatically (causing services to be unneccessarily complicated; i.e., engine out, etc -- the 360 service panel is a step in the right direction, thankfully, but long over due.) Or, if you're going to build a car that MUST have an engine out, then, well, make it something that only happens once, say, every 100k miles a la the NSX.
    Further they've often used inadequate componenets in systems that should have near infinite service lives (anyone remember the 355 header cracking problem? ). Last but not least, is the practice of ripping their customers off with absurd parts prices.
    Ferrari charges one-off prices for generic compoinents. There's no real defense that ferrari can offer, other than the simple fact that they've got a monopoly on the parts and services (for the most part) and can charge what they like. The enginnering and materials used in the street cars is not revolutionary, nor is it exotic and the replacement prices for the parts involved aren't justified; therefore, you've got a (large) population of people too scared to use these cars b/c 1., they're worried about the hit on depreciation on account of "high miles," and 2., even though the car is $150k plus, the fact that routine services run from 3k (360 15/30k w/out clutch) to 8k (550, testarossa, etc) require a strech in compassion from even the most loving of owners.
    It is also, not coincidentally, why people don't drive the cars all that much, and where the all of the "well... my car's got 3k miles, but it's 10years old, it doesn't need belts or a major yet" justifications come from -- this then leads to a bunch of underserviced garage queens, that when they do go into "general circulation" take a small fortune to get running again, but will, no doubt, have a series of teething problems -- as all such things will.
    And the "race car for the street" excuse isn't a good one. Anyone that's been in/driven a purpose built race car understands no street car is ever a "race car for the street." Ever.

16. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Hubert, I totally agree. If we can credit Ferrari for doing one outstanding thing with their engines, its being light weight/high revving. I'd sacrifice a little bit and revs for reliability. I'm sure a lot of Ferrari owners would too. My F-car when I'm ready will be a high mileage queen. Chances are, if its gone 50k+, it will keep going vs a 10k or 20k miler which might be lucky to reach 50k without several majors.

When some F-chatters and I were leaving the Newport Concours, we saw a vintage Ferrari with over 70k miles on it in the parking lot. It had bugs and rock chips all over the front, it was a car that was actually put to use and a little rough. I was overjoyed! Pure irony the best car of the show, aside from Jim S's Boxer, was the "rough" one in the parking lot.

Sunny

17. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    #17 klfpaul, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  18. klfpaul

klfpaul Karting

Apr 7, 2003
    Murrieta, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin Paul
    #18 klfpaul, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003

20. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** I saw a 1971 Daytona Coupe parked on the grounds of ROAD ATLANTA once and curiously I looked inside. Wheather it was a US spec or Euro spec ... it is still used regularly and not sitting on "death row" inside a dark garage.

21. FAMILY MAN

FAMILY MAN Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    ** This may help ... The Daytona had 99,ooo on the odometer.