TRX Wheel | FerrariChat

TRX Wheel

Discussion in '308/328' started by markrolf, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Does anyone know the best place to get hold of a 308 wheel - new or used, it's for the spare!

It's going on my euro 308GTBi, so needs to be a metric TRX wheel.

Thanks,

Mark

2. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    apart from Ferrari uk, try europarts, douglas valley or superfomance, or keep looking on ebay you may get lucky

3. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Thanks Andrew will do !

4. Ferrari_co_uk

Ferrari_co_uk Karting

Apr 16, 2003
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Langfield
    Hi Mark,

We have plenty of New OE TRX wheels for the 308
    #117000 - TRX Wheel 165 TR 390 FH-PR - £199.05 + VAT

This can ordered securely online at www.owners.ferrari.com or you can contact me directly.

Best
    Mark

Simon99 likes this.
  5. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Try T.rutlands in Atlanta for used.

BigTex likes this.
  6. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I need a set of TRX wheels for the 308 QV I just bought to take it back to the original spec. If you still know where I might find some, I'm all ears.

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Post is very very old - they still stock them new but at about £ 500 each ! https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/part/search?SearchText=117000

And then its about four hundred quid a tyre from Longstone

You've been told this before but 16 in was an option on that car and a far cheaper solution (using the replica wheels)

8. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I am struggling with a choice.

With the BBS wheels shown that a previous owner has installed, it was immediately obvious to me before buying that car that I was going to go back to the original 5 spoke design.

I have 3 options:

- The original TRX wheels and tyres. The most expensive option. And the hardest to get. TRX wheels are rare. But being aluminum, old imperfect ones can be repaired. At a cost. And the tyres are 5x the 16" option. An upside is matching the original TRX spare and the (unlikely) flat rear tyre will fit in the spare location.

- Original Ferrari 16" rims. Also expensive and rare. Being magnesium, they cannot be repaired. I would be lucky to find a set. If perfect, probably more than TRX's. But tyres are cheap. Downside? Not the original equipment matching the spare and a rear flat (Unlikely) won't fit easily in the space location. The passenger has to walk home! ;-)

- Aftermarket 16" lookalike Ferrari rims. Inexpensive. Gives you the original look. Doesn't match the original TRX spare. Practical and inexpensive, but not original. Don't turn up to a show and shine.

I am just starting with the first option. Original. As it rolled off the factory floor. As I find out what the availability is like, I might go for one of the other options.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey likes this.
  9. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I found someone who may have refinished TRX wheels for around half what you mentioned. I am looking into it. Will keep the thread updated.

I still don't even have the car yet...

10. Dr. Charles Cheeseman

Aug 30, 2019

11. Dr. Charles Cheeseman

Aug 30, 2019
    Simon,
    I am currently looking for a second set of wheels for my Euro 308QV that will allow me to buy better tires. Could you please furnish specs (offset, in particular) for those BBS wheels on yours? Or, does anyone else knows the allowable range of offsets to use on a 308 Grateful Thanks!
    Cheez

12. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Charles. Sure, I will find out. The car is not with me at the moment but I do have my friend Carl staying with me and if anyone would know about the specs, it would be him. I will get back to you when I know.

13. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Again Charles. After talking with Carl, it seems the answer to your question, particularly the offset, would require that I remove one of the front and one of the rear wheels to measure the offset. Unless it happens to be stamped on the inside of the wheel. We are currently in hard COVID lockdown again - For the 4th time - here in Melbourne, so I cannot visit the car until that is over. Where are you located?

14. Dr. Charles Cheeseman

Aug 30, 2019
    Sorry for the long delay in answering - I should pay closer attention to F-Chat! If you’ve solved your original wheel problem, would you like to sell me those BBS wheels that were on your QV? I’m in Daytona Beach, FL, so freighting them might be challenging, but thought I’d ask.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

15. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Hi Charles. No luck on finding excellent condition TRX wheels. I will keep my BBS wheels until then. But I will keep you in mind. Cheers, Simon

16. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #16 Auraraptor, May 2, 2022
    Last edited: May 2, 2022
    Your BBS wheels look lovely and the tires selection is infinitely better then the TRX options. I remember a time when you cannot give TRX away because of how little they were valued (and are frankly dangerous with age / even a little dry rot… they become cement blocks)

Personally would only use TRX for shows / meets…any actual driving would keep your BBS or other standard filament option…but hey I used to use 575 18s with road race tires on my old 328, so well…I’m biased

308 offset is low teens usually. They all interchange with early 328 (concave / pre abs design). 328 16s used to cheap aluminum alternative / upgrade for 308s.

PS Many models of BBS wheels of that era list the offset under the cap / next to the wheel lug recesses…. You may not need to unmount the wheel, just take off the cap and see!

17. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Thanks for the info. I am only chasing a set of TRXs for originality. The original TRX spare is still there. The BBS wheels that the original owner put on have grown on me. I actually prefer the look over the original and many people have complimented the wheels for their 80's styling.

Auraraptor likes this.
  18. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    If I ever get the TRXs, I may end up keeping the BBSs. I just had my first track day at Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit. It's a fast track. Burning up TRX tires around that track, at 4 times the price of 16 inch tyres, starts to get expensive.

BTW, the best part and the final chapter of the story is that I took my spouse to the track day. She decided to drive. Went with an instructor in the first two sessions, but after that, she went by herself and loved every minute of it. That's her in the photos.

A happy ending! :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Rosey and Auraraptor like this.
  19. ragtop1

ragtop1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2006
    Ontario
    Full Name:
    Larry Warren
  20. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I am only interested in wheels in excellent condition. The cost of refinishing them makes ones with damage not really worth anything.

21. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    Hi

Dont fall for the miss imformation that there are better tyres for your car than the TRX. It is not correct. There are tyres that are better for modern cars than the TRX, but they have a very different chassis set up to your car. At best you may foind a 16" road tyre that is similarly as suited to a 308, and that would be the Pirelli P7.

What came first the chicken or the egg?

Am i only saying this because these are the tyres that i sell - or do we sell these tyres becauise they are perfectly suted to super cars of this period?

more detail on tyres on here https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/ferrari/308.html

I also find the idea of fitting replica wheels so you can get cheap tyres interesting? you can buy a replica of a 308 made out of an MX5 that is cheaper too.

22. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Utter nonsense. Are you also putting biasply tires on your older cars.

23. Simon99

Simon99 Karting

Jan 4, 2021
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The primary reason for me wanting to find TRX rims is to restore the car to the condition in which it left the factory.

That really is the extent of it. Originality. Yes, I am aware that a customer could have ordered 16" rims as a factory option, but my car did not come with them. The evidence is that the spare is a TRX rim. In any event, I have BBS rims and these were never an option.

There is one other consideration and that is that 16" rims are different widths front and back. Only the front size will fit under the hood. The hood was not made to fit a 16" rear. So if you get a flat on the rear, with 16" rims, your passenger will be walking home. But that is a distant secondary consideration.

The truth is, I am happy with my BBS rims and the new tires I put on them, which I felt very comfortable with at a club day down at Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit. If I had the much more expensive TRX tires, I would probably save them and run the 16" rims anyway.

The sad part is that I am aware there was a time when you couldn't even give TRX rims away. They'd make a nice hose reel. As a consequence, nowdays, an immaculate set appears to be hard to find. Especially the lower production Euro spec ones.

miketuason likes this.
  24. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
    of course. I'm not an idiot. i dont want to ruin the handling.

Would you fit TRX on this?

not all cars are the same. some cars suit some tyres better than others. and this is generally down to what they were designed with in the first place.

25. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

The 308 was never designed around TRX rims and tires. It had 14 inch rims and michelin XWX or something originally and 16in were an option for a QV. It was only Ferrari doing an silly deal with michelin when they were providing the F1 team rubber. Too bad it was not Pirelli.