How many miles per outing ? | FerrariChat

How many miles per outing ?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by parkerfe, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    How many miles do you usually drive your Ferrari each time you drive it ? For me, I usually drive my Boxer at least once per weekend and drive it around 100 miles+ each time. When I drive it during the week I will only drive about 50 miles or so.

2. SeaBayR

SeaBayR Karting

Sep 15, 2003
    On the Chesapeake
    I drive my 348Spider almost everyday, 5-10 miles and on longer, busier days its 30-40 miles a day.

I just shoveled 4" of snow so it looks like a Rover day....at leaset untill it melts on the roads.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I try to drive my car at least 30 miles each time I fire it up and get at least a little highway time in. I want to make sure that it is totally warmed up and cleaned out. :)

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    So far this winter I have been able to take it out just once a month but because of my location (read:'in the sticks') I usually put at least 100 miles on it getting to the activity and coming home.

During the summer the average is 150 to 250 because of trips to Canada and Pacific Raceways south of Seattle.

From April to October of last year I put 3,000 on the car driving just to weekend activites and shows. No daily driving involved.

DJ

5. MARQ

MARQ Formula 3

Feb 9, 2002
    East Coast US
    Full Name:
    Marq
    'bout the same formula as you, parkerfe:

Weekend 75-100 miles (minimum)
    Weekday 30-50 miles

6. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    When I had my 550, my commute was 70miles aday plus errands, like 90.
    Weekends, well on weekends I have another car.

7. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    I take my 328 out at least once every week. (Yes, here in the NW there is dry pavement at least once every week, but don't tell the rest of the country that)!
    It is always a source of a big smile in anticipation, naturally. I make sure it gets completely warmed up, some freeway driving, and always a bit up on the tach to 6-7 K, just to make sure there is no carbon lurking around. And even with the cold weather, I run the A/C for about 5 minutes.
    Any advice on other steps that should be taken?

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I drive the 328 about 4-5 times per week. Sometimes it is just to work which is about 10 miles each way.

9. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Pakerfe,
    This subject is also interesting to me. How's your 512BBi?

I was told by Ferrari salesman that the short trip (less than 10 miles) is not good for my 328, as carbon will build up. (Another "don't" was upshift at less than 3000 RPM) I don't know this is true or not, but it makes sense. So that is what I am following nowadays. If the trip is less than 30 miles, I don't take 328. He also said that the traffic congestion, stop-go-stop-go, is not good for my car as it will overheat easily. I heard some stories about Ferrari catching fire in Tokyo's congested traffic, so if I get stuck in traffic jam, I take some turn & take longer way to keep the car running.

Yoshi Ace

10. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Until a couple of weeks ago, I was doing 250-500 each outing. Then my son had a car <lets just say> issues and he is borrowing my wifes car, my wife is borrowing my SUV and I am driving the F355 daily <Oh, the pain of it all>. Now my daily trips are about 20 miles.

11. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    22 to 60 each time.

12. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills

Mitch let the kid drive it every now and then, it will do wonders for his self esteem in the long run.

13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Well, lets see: 3 years ago he totaled my Q45, and last year he wrecked his own Camry. At this point, I think allowing him to drive the F355B unmonitored is "not wise".

14. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    About 25 miles once a fortnight - but more (a lot more) after the Winter...

I try to give all the electrics a work out, but am still running in the engine after its rebuild, so no more than 4000rpm for now...

John

15. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    I try to take my Euro 308, at least once a week, usually on the weekend when the weather is dry, for 25 to 75 miles.

16. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I drive every weekend, Saturday and Sunday. About 200 miles per weekend.If I'm particularly stressed from work, I'll go for a spin.That's the great thing about Miami, weather is never a concern.

17. airbarton

airbarton Formula 3

Nov 11, 2002
    Kennesaw, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Chuck Barton
    The only time my car does not get driven is when I am staying home. My 348 is my primary transportation so it goes almost every where I go. There are only 2 cars in our household and my wife drives her car to work every day. My car can be a bit of a pain when you need to carry stuff, not much trunk space. You also have to watch where you go because some of the roads are not real Ferrari friendly. Otherwise, the car is a pretty good daily driver.

18. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    My Saturday early morning "fun runs" are usually around 60 miles.