1 Day in the ENZO on the Autobahn! | FerrariChat

1 Day in the ENZO on the Autobahn!

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Eilig, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I just spoke with the boys in Germany and they were able to get their insurance situation figured out for renting their Enzo this year. The only way it was possible for them to get this thing insured for rentals was to increase the deductible, like, way-high -- to $150k. But at least it's now do-able.

Anyway, the cost of the rental is $15k per day. I told them too rich for my blood, but then stopped to think about it. Assuming one could even buy an Enzo for list price (around $670k), the sales tax alone would be about $47k. Then you've got a 200 mph car in the US that you can't legally drive even into the triple digits on a public road.

So, for less than 1/3 the cost of the sales tax alone, you can rent the Enzo for a day, drive it ALL-OUT on the Autobahn in Germany, and basically own it for one day. All said and done, not a bad option actually. I'm giving serious consideration to doing it.

Interesting story they told me while talking, by the way. So far only one customer has driven their Enzo. It was Daimler-Chrysler CEO Jürgen Schrempp. Apparently he called them last October, having heard they had the car, and wanted to drive it. They told him it was not yet available due to no insurance coverage. But he insisted, and told them "if I wreck it, I'll buy it." So they delivered it up to Stuttgart and he spent a day driving the Autobahn and apparently had many good things to say about the car upon returning it.

2. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ohhhhhh man. Makes me wish I was in Germany. They also have F40 F50 and a 288 GTO to rent dont they.

3. Tyson

Tyson Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2003
    Idaho
    How many miles/kilometers are you allowed?

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    That's the question

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    It comes with 100 free kilometers. If you drive over, you pay more. Looks like I'll be paying more. It will take all of 20-30 minutes to drive 100 kilometers on the AutoBahn. But OOOHhhh what a great 20-30 minutes!

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  7. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
  8. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast

Seriously bad idea. 15k to rent the car, 30/km and you've got a 150k deductible looming over your head? No thanks. I'd rather BUY a 360/550 and have it shipped over.

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I dunno ...If he doesn't damage the car and they give him back his $150, 000 , its okay.
    Anyone who's willing to do this has to have the money because you never know what it can happen.

But in the other hand like you said ''I'd rather BUY a 360/550'' is a better idea. The car is yours forever!

But if he has always dreamed of driving an Enzo for a day and thats what he really wants ...go for it. He's going to have one great experience.

The important thing.....Just make the right choice and always remember you can buy a Ferrari with that money (I'm saying this because I don't want him to regret it later.)

10. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    I think the people who will rent this are music video and movie people who need it for one or two scenes. Otherwise it's not worth it.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'll just wait for my customer come by with his in the summer. Saves me 15k and I don;t even have to pay for gas..who said being a mechanic sucks:)

12. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Tom can I send you an e-mail because PM doesn't work.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Sure can JohnT

14. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Seriously, can anyone say that they could drive the car and the fear of wrecking it wouldn't overwhelm the fun? I remember renting a Saleen Mustang as my first time in a really fast car, and they gave me such a stern warning about scraping the air dam I was too paranoid to enjoy it like I should have.

Unless you have $150k in pocket change if some idiot rear ends you, I seriously question if I could enjoy the car. Now, if an owner gave it to me for a day to use, I could drive the hell out of it because he'd be so rich he'd worry more about me than the car if I wrecked it. It would be like if my son wrecked my Lotus: I can always get another car but I just have one son.

Ken

15. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    My thinking is that if I had that kind of cash to rent an Enzo I would probably know or be able to get in touch with a friend of a friend who has an Enzo. Then I would work out a deal that would probably get me good seat time for little $$$.
    Of course the caveat of "you break you buy" would still be in place.

But you could easily see production companies antying up for promos, shots, films, etc...

16. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i think it's a good idea... If you rent it and wreck it, you're out $150,000... If you set something up with a friend for some "seat time" and wreck it, well then... You've bruised a friendship and in some cases, a friend is worth far more than $150,000...

Not that i EVER hope their NNO gets wrecked, i just think that's the best way to go if you have the money to spare but can't afford to own one...

17. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Way to pricey IMO .

18. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    On the same vein but less $, what would you rent for a week in Europe - a Stradale or a Gallardo and why? They're the same $.

19. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    you mean enzo? i dont get the NNO thing.

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Des
    This isn't a problem. Friends have insurance, you have insurance. At this level insurance covers you for any car you drive. (In the US. In Europe it's a bit more complex but you can get worldwide cover)

21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'd go with the Stradale. The seats in the Gallardo are just way too uncomfortable.