Counting the days until Spring!!!! | FerrariChat

Counting the days until Spring!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 22, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #1 FerrariFrank1, Jan 22, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I just got off the phone with one of my Brothers who lives in Phoenix,AZ. They are enjoying Sunny days,in the 70's,while we freeze our butts off! I guess it's not That far off. We've almost made it through January. February is a short month. March...well,March in Chicago usually sucks. But,maybe April will start giving us some Driving weather,at least.:) (And Bob some warmer weather to start re-assembling.:) )
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #2 FerrariFrank1, Jan 22, 2004
    Ahh,yes! What could be a prettier site than some Beautiful Ferrari's Framing the Chicago Skyline!!! (Well,Tod might have something to say about that! :) )

3. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Every day of this puts us one day closer to warm weather, all I need is one warm weekend to get the chassis painting done. For the reassembly my small heater is more than I need.

See everyone soon

4. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Speaking of Tod,is he in Florida?

5. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    No, i'm back.... I was in Texas most of this week though.. It was cold down there, now its warm down there and cold here when i got back...

I am really itching to get my baby out, i have the Tubi on order now... I am looking at enlargening my garage and i saw some lifts too, they are only about 2k in price, cheaper than the Tubi...

I was at the Boat show tonight, hmmmm..... I like those cool deep V boats... You know, Baja, Fountain, Eliminator... I didn't see a Cigarete though.... It took me a lot of control, that would be cool to have one of those, but it would take away from Ferrari Days... Can't have that!!!

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Indeed. I want to get one of those garage lifts myself. Can't beat 'em. Makes working on your car alot easier. Especially if you're a Fat guy like me!:) (I'm working on that!) But,I saw a few vendors at the Chevy/Vettefest last November,and got some info on a few of them. They are very reasonable,and will pay for themselves after awhile,anyway. Well worth it!!

7. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Nice picture guys....a 308/328 gathering? :)

8. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    Tod:
    I have a 4 post lift that I installed in my garage in 96'. The 308 is stored and serviced on it. My wifes car parks underneath. Works great, never a problem. Make sure you get one that has chain drive not cable. Mine has pneumatic cylinders that activate the safety "dogs", the main lift is electric/hydraulic. Power is 230/1/60 although you can also get 115 volt. Raises the car in about 45 seconds.
    The lift is made by Bend-Pak in California and is about $2,500 delivered.

Dave

9. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Thanks Dave,

I'll have to check them out. I have seen both two post and four post lifts. I was wondering about the two post lifts, if its posible to open your car door without banging it into the post? Doesn't the four post lift by the tires? What if you want to take the tires off?? Thats why i was looking at two post lifts, they lift by the frame of the car, not the tires... Maybe i'm wrong here??? I'll have to check Bend-Pak out and see...

Also Dave, what heigth is your garage?? When i redo mine, i'm thinking of putting the cieling hier, like maybe 12ft?? Right now it's 9 ft... Sorry about my bad spelling, its late...

10. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #10 Dave Bendl, Jan 26, 2004
    Tod,
    2 post lifts are designed for service work, and not for long term storage. 4 post models are designed for long term storage + service. A "jack tray" is available as an option. The jack tray can be slid front or rear along the ramps and supports floor or bottle jacks for tire removal. This can also be done with a jack on one of the ramps.
    I have 10.5' floor to ceiling height. With the 308 on the lift's highest setting gives 64" clearance for my wifes car underneath. I do advise extended loading ramps as with the low ground clearance of a 308/328 when loading or unloading off the ramps you can scrape the bottom of the rocker panels. I extended mine using 2x12's.
    Unless you have a 24' deep garage, and the lift is all the way to the rear, garage door clearance can be a problem when in the full up position. Have the garage door tracks installed so the door follows the roof joists, so when the door retracts, there is plenty of clearance between the door and the car's hood.
    Here's a partial pic of mine after installation.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Does Mrs. drive a Countach? (Just kidding!!!! It's the lowest car that I can think of :) )

12. Dave Bendl

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    She has her beloved Stratus, and if she ever hit the lift posts hard enough, the 3000# 308 above will flatten the Stratus to the height of a Countach. I have all the posts hilited with bright safety tape just for that reason.
    Dave

13. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    Hey Dave,

Checked them out, nice... But i may be a little nervous about storing my car with the lift up. What if the pump or the pressure in the hydraulics go out??? How stable is it to the floor??? I printed out thier manual and it looks like the bolts go about 4 inches into the concrete??

How long have you had yours for??? Any issues with it??? Did you install it yourself??? Easy???Hard???? Looking at the manuals, it looks fairly easy to install, after you get all the holes drilled into your garage floor... Also, are there any city laws on having a lift in a residential garage???? I guess i'll have to check that one for Carol Stream....

Tod

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I've also seen some lifts that have "rails" that you drive the car on to. Then,it lifts up like a Scizzors lift. Just hook it up to a compressor. So,it's not a permanent thing,and can be moved. But,I don't think that you can park a car underneath it. When I was a Teen,I had it made. My Step Dad had an Auto repair shop in Berwyn,that had a few Lifts. And,ofcourse,Pneumatic tools. So,working on cars was a breeze. Gotta have those pneumatic tools to break those old bolts free. And,we had a High School buddy who had a "Pit" in his garage. But,those were made Illegal,I believe. Not sure what the deal was with his...Grandfathered in? But,he told us not to spread it around that it was there,just in case. But,it was great for fluid changes,exhaust work,etc...