Heated Driveways | FerrariChat

Heated Driveways

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by whart, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Well, our driveway is still a construction site until next spring, when i plan to have a nice pavered driveway installed, along with improvements to the facade of the garage. In the process, seeing how nasty winter has been thus far, i am convinced i need a surface heating system to melt the snow and ice, particularly since spreading salt ( I hate salt) and running a plow over the stone pavers will destroy them.

So, who has what systems, what are your experiences in terms of effectiveness and reliability and what research on contractors, pricing, design, etc. might i take advantage of, as a result of your hard-won knowledge? Thanks in advance.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bill, warmzone.com seems to do indoor-outdoor surface heating...

If you go here you can click this link to see a bunch of questions you might have about heated driveways...
    Here's a 4-page PDF document about heated walkways, driveways, etc.
    The Radiant Panel Association has some information on heated driveways as well...
    Also, Homestore.com has some information on heated driveways here...

...and of course, for your reading pleasure, Halfbakery.com has an article on "eletric driveways", etc....

3. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    :O I didn't know they made something like this! Thats really amazing, I need one.

4. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    My parent's had electrical heating elements laid in a concrete driveway 20+ years ago. The concrete had to be thickend to prevent it from cracking with the heat/cool differences, and it sucked a lot of electricity. It was a manual system with a light-switch inside the house to flip on and off the heater elements. It took quite a while to heat up and was best used just as the snow started falling. I remember hundreds of dollars a month for a 20-30' driveway, and we'd typically just crank on one side and it followed just the tire tracks.

Overall, a waste of time, imo. But it did work. It was a one-off solution, made on the spot, so who knows what's really out there.

5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Des:- you are either quite knowledgeable, or an able web researcher. WarmZone is one possible supplier. Fact is, even with modest installation costs, i seem to be looking at 30k dollars for a system. But, the alternative of having cobblestones plowed or salted seems even worse. And, Tjocoby, i think these systems have come along way; but a neighbor has one, put down in the sixties, that works like a charm.

6. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    My uncle has one, installed probably 20 years ago. It was an electric element in the driveway. It worked for about 6 years then it just stopped, presumably from a short that is inside the driveway. Bummer. I remember it was $$$ to run and it needed to be turned on as soon as the snow started or else it could not "keep up".

I am heartened to learn that they have better alternatives now. I too wanted a nice driveway, but there was no way paving stones would be able to be plowed. This seems to to be the solution. I would guess the glycol/water mix works a lot better and more efficiently than the electric kind too. Anyone got one and can comment?