Anyone with experience at Midwest Auto Group in Dublin OH? | FerrariChat

Anyone with experience at Midwest Auto Group in Dublin OH?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Tomf-1, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Greetings to all. I am a recent newcomer to the F-chat community. Last week, I bought a 512TR from a dealership in the Columbus area and I am considering doing a 30,000 mile major service done by Midwest Auto Group in Dublin, OH. Can anyone share their history and experience in dealing with these folks?

Also, the car last major service (engine out, new clutch and ect...) was done by Algar in 99 but since then, the vehicle has only been driven approx. 1,500 miles. Should I perhaps wait to add another few thousand miles? The PPI was done prior to purchase and it passed with flying colors. Thank you so much for your help.

2. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Well I don't know about Midwest Auto, but congrats on your new car and welcome to the board :)

3. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    M.A.G. is about 3 miles from where I work. Their focus is on German cars (Audi dealer, among others) and I have heard no comments, good or bad, about their Ferrari service.

If you are keen to have work done in Columbus, one place to check is George Evans on Morse Road. I have heard some folks who highly recommend them, and at least one person here who had some bad experiences, so it would be worth a check out for yourself.

Another local option is the place in Westerville associated with Dennis McCann, and yet one more is the Lamborghini dealer in Marysville, which is 15 miles away.

So ... you have lots of local options. Since I do all of my own maintenance myself, I can't speak for one vs. another, but if you have some specific questions perhaps I, or other locals, can chime in.

Cheers - DM

4. teachdna

teachdna Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2001
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Robbins
    I’ve used them for the last three years, spent some 9k there in the repair department and I would give them an average mark. They’re not bad and are pretty honest, charging only for what they think you need. Their majors usually come in a little below the national average. They certainly aren’t going to take you for a ride in terms of finding things wrong that aren’t really wrong-unless they make an honest mistake.

On the other hand, they’re not great at diagnosing problems if they aren’t run of the mill. So…. You could do worse and you could do better. The bad part, of course, is that you pay for the time it takes them to figure out the problem, even if they haven’t really figured it out! But I’m sure that’s the case at most dealerships where the mechanics have to justify their time to the manager.

I would use them for the 30K major as they’ll have access to all the updates and relatively easy and rapid access to parts as well.

Welcome to Ferrari ownership!
    Regarding your particular car, it doesn't sound like it needs a major right now: why not wait until it sorts out in your hands and you can get naggling things fixed?

5. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Gents,

Thank you so much for all your inputs.
    You are remind me of why I love Ferrari and take part in this community. I will have pictures posted soon.

Tom

6. davequick

davequick Formula Junior

May 27, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    Dave Quick
    I bought a '02 BMW 5 series and an '03 MINI from MAG.

Why don't you just check out:
    http://www.evansauto.com on Morse and NJB Associates (New Albany area)...

If nothing else just to talk to them and talk about price for service. Ask about shop insurance (if anything were to go wrong with the engine after a major for instance, etc.).

Evans: Evans owns an F40 and works on a lot of cars. I last talked to Tim Reed on teh ferrarilist.com chat list and he worked there at that time. Maybe speak to him or George Evans (owner) if he's around.

NJB: Jack Babbitt is owner, Craig Reed does the work I believe.

My personal impression of MAG's Ferrari area was they were annoyingly snooty and uninterested in a driver/owner and that put me off. At the time I was interested in selling the 328 and buying maybe a 330GT2+2 (since then I have changed my intentions to a 456GT) and they had ZERO interest in talking to me..

Anyway - YMMV.

Enjoy,
    Dave Quick

7. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks, Dave

I have talked to Jack B. They are priced similar to MAG. I will give the other place a call tomorrow. About your treatment by the MAG folks, it's disappointing to hear. One would think these high end dealerships understand the demographic of their clienteles better.

Thanks for the valuable input. Best wishes to your 456 endeavors.

Tom,

8. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    TomF1

I would say that M.A.G is very dependable and average priced.....I've had good experiences with them......not GREAT, but good. Jack B. is the way to go, IMHO. He is extremely nice, very experienced, and very honest. I respect him as a person and as a mechanic..........I can't say ANYTHING GOOD about George Evans..........ANYTHING...........AT ALL!