Mercedes going the way of BMW? | FerrariChat

Mercedes going the way of BMW?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Auraraptor, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  2. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #2 Auraraptor, Jan 26, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #3 Auraraptor, Jan 26, 2004
  4. C. Losito

C. Losito Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2003
    Metro St. Louis
    Full Name:
    Chris Losito
    That looks like a picture of the new SLK that everyone at mbworld.org is drooling over. I do NOT like the front end treatment at all, and I would be even less impressed if they do that to the SL. To each his own, I guess. As long as they don't screw up the CLK or the CL, I'm not gonna complain.

5. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #5 Auraraptor, Jan 26, 2004
  6. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    IMO it would be an improvement over the current SLK if it didnt have that same werid nose droopy thing. I am not saying I like the current SLK (hate it) but this one looks just as bad.

7. CCarlisi

CCarlisi Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Christian
    Note the caption: "here's a good shot of what the 05 SL COULD look like... "

I don't think those pictures came from Mercedes.

8. Moving Chicane

Moving Chicane Formula 3

Dec 15, 2003
    SoCal.
    Full Name:
    Dan
    These "new" SLK photos have been in the car mags. for months now, not new news. Cars on the road with that nose on already.

That S class photo is only about the third I've seen, sort of large Audi A6 looking.....

9. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Thje SLK looks horrid. The front of the new S-class looks very Honda Accordish.

Damn, I've always enjoyed Mercedes but lately they've been sliding down the quality slope pretty fast. Looks like they just took a wrong turn on to ugly street as well.

Time to go old school. My vote for best modern benzes are

1)1995 E500
    2)1995 E320 Cab
    3)1989 560SL
    4)1992-1999 S500/600 coupe or sedan

I love the looks of the current SL. I was eagerly awaiting the SL600 until I drove one. There's more damn plastic in the new benzes than in a Toyota.

10. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  11. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler

Forgot that one. Also a great car and IMO still formidable looking.

12. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    I saw pictures og the new S class comiong out and it looks terrific in pictures.

13. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

The new SLK......if it really ends up looking like that.......well, it will help resale on older ones IMHO.

If that's really what the new "S" will look like.....all you have to do is buy a Nissan Altima and put a nose bra on it to disguise the front end......it'll look the same.

14. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    I think its kindof sad where their going. I've always admired how mercedes stayed away from some of the flash in the pan trends (like the retro look of today) and did their own thing. Heck, they kept the same basic body style for the SL for more than 15 years. When I was 16 I only wanted one car, a 560sl. I bought it and loved it for what it was...one of the true new classics. I could have got a '90 or '91 (different body..actually different everything) for just a little more, but I just thought the old body style was too beautiful to pass up.

15. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    E500 is a great car but needs more suspension tuning to bring it in line with the XJR/M5 of the same year.

At least we know there's two if not three design studios using a little too much white powder. :D Now its Audi's turn!

Sunny