Anyone know of a P47 around? | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a P47 around?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by racedecknc, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Ok, if you don't have one, do you know anyone in the NC area that might? My father in law was a crew chief on them in WWII and I'm trying to suprise him with a visit to one. He's getting up there in age and not up to walking around your average airshow, so I'm trying to arrange a private visit.

Thanks for any leads,

Ed

2. carl63_99

carl63_99 Karting

Oct 22, 2001
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Maybe in Off Topic.

Have you tried the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston, Texas?

Confederate Air force in Midland, Texas?

Good Luck, man. I wish Dad was still here.

4. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    P47s were made right here in Evansville, In. Know that dost help you any just a bit of trivia. But perhaps the Air Force Muesum or whatever its called in Dayton Ohio might have one.

5. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    sorry, I meant to put this in OT

Ed

6. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's right, "Commemorative" Air Force, more PC.

Still, MY flight jacket blood chit still says, "If found unconscious, revive with a mint julip, and hide him from yankees." FWIW

Am I now "collectible"?

7. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Impala, buddy I'm worrying about you man. That avatar!

Have you been taking your meds???

Call that sweetie in, for some stress relief!

Signed,

Relaxed in Houston

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    haha i know i was worried it might be to much for this site. I think im going to change it.

9. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    I'm trying to find the closest P47 Thunderbolt to me here in NC. Anyone know of one at a local museum, or one that travels airshows on the East coast? My Father in Law was a crew chief on one in WWII, he's been in better health, and I'm trying to put together a day trip for him.

Ed

10. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    was he in the mighty 8th

11. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    There must be one on the east coast because i saw the same one perform at 2 airshows in NY and saw it parked at a static airshow in brooklyn. I cant remeber the name of it, but it will come to me probably.

12. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Nope, he stayed at Wright Field. He also got to work on the early jets during development, etc.

He's got a box of documents/ old photos that I hope to go through with him soon. Cool stuff.

Ed

13. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    A registry of P47s is maintained at http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/registry/p47registry/p47registry.html

There's one in New York at the Cradle of Aviation Museum: http://www.cradleofaviation.org/exhibits/ww2/thunderbolt/index.html

And one in New York at the American Air Power Museum: http://www.americanairpowermuseum.com/

One in CT at the New England Air Museum
    http://www.neam.org/

There's apparently only 9 or so left flying, so your choices are limited. The rest seem to be in England, Texas and California.

Hope that helps.

14. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Oshkosh
    Wright-Patterson
    Atlanta AFB Museum<<<
    CHINO CA!!! There are loads of guys with racers and regulars, loads of the p-51s from the Reno Air Races are there, like Strega, Dago Red, Rare Bear was there for a while... Also check Burt's (NO LAST NAME NEEDED) hangars.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Good shooting, Tillman!

Impala, it was scaring me and I went to services YESTERDAY.

Just so I can someday say, "This Ferrari was owned by a lil' ol' man, that only drove it on Sundays. (To church, or Texas World Speedway!)

All the little kids come by to see the "race car", as I leave.

16. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Racedecknc

Check with the Commemorative Air Force in Midland, Texas. They do different shows around the US and many of their planes are flown to these different shows. Check their schedule, it just might include the one plane you are looking for. You can go to their website and it includes a schedule of events and where. I saw it in Midland several years ago for their October airshow.

Best of luck,

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    we have a 8th airforce museum here in savannah ga, my grandfather was in with them while he was stationed in England. i will see if i can leave work early enough to get over there and find out if there are any close enough to see. i take my grandfather to our museum twice a year ( he doesnt remember things too well so its really fun for him EVERY TIME)! best of luck, its a great thing for you to do. i think they have a website like the mighty8thairforcemuseum.com or something , ill go looking around, this could be fun for me too!!!!!

18. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  19. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    It looks like the guys have given you some good leads. Keep us posted as to what you find out. My grandfather flew a P-47 Thunderbolt in Europe so the planes will always have a place in my heart.

Still have lots of photos and his pilot log books. Interesting to read about missions and the things that were going through their minds at that time.

20. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

21. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks so much for the leads, guys. My mother in law just doesn't "get it" about his fondness for his "glory days" of wrenching on the Thunderbolt. I've been by the "Mighty 8th" museum several times, without stopping. Maybe that will be the closest. The guy at the Tyco airport in Titusville usually has some interesting restorations in progress, but he's too far away at this time.

Thanks again!

Ed

22. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    Believe it or not "Trade-a-plane" has a complete one for sale in the Warbirds section a couple of months ago. I think it has come out of a museum somewhere, maybe Central or South America. I can PM you my log in if it helps.

23. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Yep could not remember the name, the SR-71 there is a fake, they say it is real, but I know Titanium alloy skins, and that and the drone, ain't it. My uncle retired from the AF at Warner-Robbins. Not a big museum, but good for kicks, I believe what you are looking for is just inside to the right in a 'diorama' of sorts.

24. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    If you get to Oregon, check the Tillamook Air Museum. They have one P-47, two P-51s, a P-38, and a host of working, flying machines, not museum queens.

http://www.tillamookair.com

Regards-
    Steve