Polishing ------------ | FerrariChat

Polishing ------------

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tonyh, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Does anyone use an orbital polisher and if so, what's the finish like ? Thinking of buying one as doing it by hand takes forever.....
    Tony

2. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    i have one and use iton my everyday car, but i wouldnt on the 355. But thats just me. The polisher i got from halfords for £30. Its great and a good labour saver.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Any reason you don't use it on 355? I would be looking to buy one for use on mine!

4. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    just me i suppose fella, its good but i wouldn't trust it on the ferrari. I think i'm one of those sad types who prefer to do it by hand. God i feel old, even if i am only 30

5. stevep

stevep F1 Veteran

Jan 19, 2004
    Geordie Land
    Full Name:
    steve
    oh and unless you are very careful you get polish all over the rubbers and windows!

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Cheers Steve.....
    if only there were a quicker way of doing it by hand, so to speak...... !
    Tony

7. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Tony,

I don't think you'd get the finish you're looking for with a machine; not because it'd scratch (but it might-Ferrari paint is quite soft in my view, and might be susceptible to swirl marks) but also because as Stephen says, it'd get polish in all the gaps, seals etc.

Robert.

8. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Tony

i alos have the Halfords one nad use it on everyday cars but not the 355, always worried there will be that spec of grit!. my experience is that they do give a deeper shine but they remove a lot of hte polish so it doesn't last anywhere near as long

9. ric355

ric355 Guest

Dec 21, 2003
    I'm with the don't use 'em camp. Use your hands, you are much more in control of what's going on.

As already mentioned, a spec of grit under a polisher can do a lot more damage than the same spec under a cloth.

Also, 'swirl marks' are by their very nature produced by a rotational motion. I've read stuff on the web from detailing experts that a bonnet-to-boot on horizontal surfaces and floor-to-roof direction on vertical ones produces the best finish. You can't do this with an orbital polisher. I've also read that bonnet-to-boot on the vertical ones is good.

Orbital - hand or machine - is not good. Think of it this way - to fill in swirl marks with glaze/wax you need to move across the marks rather than along them (make sense?).

Treat your Ferrari like a woman - use your hands and enjoy the curves!

Edit - I should also add that I've put into practice what I've read and it really is amazing what finish you can get. The key is to glaze before wax, and use a real glaze/wax rather than a cheap polish from Halfwits.

10. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    if you use a machine, go with "random" orbital.

11. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Tony

I have a bodyshop polisher (£100 from machine mart) this does give a really really good finish and make's polishing neglected paintwork real easy, but the finish is just not as good as doing the complete zymol thing by hand (should take at least a full day to do properly!), as well as the splatter from the wax (and you cant really use the zymol carnuba type wax's) its really difficult to get into the nooks and crannies. in short great for cleaning up a daily driver but bugger all use for doing a good job on a Ferrari (unless you need to agresivley polish faded Trossa mirrors)