Racedeck Flooring | FerrariChat

Racedeck Flooring

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by ntol, Jan 24, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Hey guys I am seeking some advice on how we could better serve this market with our Racedeck or other modular flooring products.

We have been a sponser for over a month without any success. We are open for serious and honest professional advice.

Is this floor a product that interest this market?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think it's a great product - I need to get out & measure the garage & take some pics for a quote.

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, here's my opinion.

first off, i'm an owner (kiwi). i did my garage a couple years back and think it's a great product, so i have a positive bias towards this stuff.

most of the people i talk to find this particular solution to be far too expensive. these tiles work out to $3.00 to $3.25 per square foot with shipping and all that jazz. that ain't cheap. it means a two-car garage will run you $1500 to $2000. not short money for a "garage improvement".

it's substantially pricier than the average DIY epoxy effort.

and it's not substantially less expensive than going with a ceramic or the like tile effort.

imo, the market for these things is very focused. it's guys willing to spend money on their garage who want to DIY and want to do weird patterns and/or plan to move it with them when they move.

i went this route because i originally planned to do some wacky patterns that would become a resale liability; and i wanted to be able to take it with me when i moved.

hope this is helpful.

doody.

4. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    #4 sduke, Jan 24, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I only have my own buying experience to relate if that is of any use.

I completely remodeled my garage during the summer of 2003. I did extensive research on all of the possible flooring that would be functional as well as attractive. I am a Toyota technician by trade and my floor had to meet my expectations in regards to stain resistance and durability. My final choices after investigating every option I could find were U-Coat-It epoxy, RaceDeck, and StarQuartz Tile.

The approximate pricing for each on a 20X20 garage

U-Coat-It $585.00
    RaceDeck $1100.00
    StarQuartz $5400.00

Each option has definite strengths and weaknesses.

The U-Coat-It floor is the cheapest, has excellent durability, is easier to use with a lift, but is labor intensive, (especially if you have oil, grease, or other chemical stains already present. Prep for the epoxy is the key to good adhesion), not removable, and can be slick when wet. (not good with oil and antifreeze) Few color choices available in real quality floor epoxy.

The RaceDeck is the next cheapest I looked at, but was still double the price of epoxy. On the pro side the color and pattern choices are huge. The floor is totally removable, and you can change the pattern if you get tired of it. The floor is very durable. Even a floor jack didn't scratch the samples I received. The textured surface is nice and grippy, and oil doesn't faze it. The floor provides some nice cushioning for your feet if you stand on it for long periods of time. The cons for me were that my garage has a step at the front that made a smooth, continuous floor impossible with RaceDeck. The main part of the floor could be RaceDeck, but the front part still required another floor covering. My garage also is not a size where the RaceDeck tiles will fit exactly. Either gaps are left at the walls, or the tiles have to be cut to fit. The cut edges of the RaceDeck are NOT attractive. Tiling around a lift presents a challenge.

The StarQuartz was VERY expensive. But it was also gorgeous. The sample tile was a high quality synthetic tile that was impervious to everything short of nuclear holocaust. A large color selection and different sized tiles made for real design flexibility. The cons were EXPENSE!!!! The price of $5400.00 did NOT include installation. I was unprepared to attempt a DIY project with the price of a mistake so high. A lift poses no problem for StarQuartz. The compression standard on the tile means you just tile the floor and bolt the lift down on top of it. The Starquartz would have been a more viable option for me if I was going to stay in my current home for a long term. I don't see myself being here after a few more years. Plus the price of my home doesn't justify that kind of expense which cannot be recouped at sale.

I don't know if my story is helpful at all. Each person has a different circumstance and needs. I went with the U-Coat-It mainly because I was familiar with it, and the price was just a lot lower. If I was more successful in my occupation, the RaceDeck or StarQuartz would have been my choice.

I guess you could say I took the Wal-Mart path, when I preferred the Neiman-Marcus path.

Here is a pic of my floor. I like it pretty well.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    ntol - I'm not in the market for one at this time, as I am in an apartment. However, were it not for your ad presence in F-Chat, I would not have known that your product would be what I will put in my garage when the time comes. With that in mind, think of your ads in F-Chat as being an investment that will pay it's dividends.

6. dinodude

dinodude Rookie

Jan 19, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Glenn Stephens
    I appreciate that you have chosen to support FerrariChat. If I am representative, you definitely are close to your market. I recently finished the floor of my 2400 sq ft garage with 2 part epoxy simply because of the cost. The epoxy was a lot of prep work but I recruited some friends and it wasn't too bad. I am considering doing the primary work bay in racedeck for looks and durability.

Bottom line - I love your product but IMO it currently is too expensive for mass appeal in large applications. I am sure at some point in the future I will buy some.

7. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Thanks for the feedback...we aren't planning on going anywhere. This is probally the coolest message board that I personally frequent. Anyone is welcome to keep posting on this thread...it is appreciated and good to hear that the product ranks very high with everyone.

But...can too expensive and Ferrari be used in the same sentence? (haha) just a little joke.

8. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Hey, don't forget we have to pay Ferrari sized maintenance bills! :D

9. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    I purchased approx 1500 sq ft of RaceDeck which I was going to use in my own garage. After putting down the first few tiles, I was disappointed with the sound and feel of the product under foot. Very "cheap" feeling which the folks at RaceDeck said would go away with the use of a carpet or some other liner under the product to dampen out the noise. It's not a bad product and probably one of the better interlocking tiles.

I went with epoxy (actually Criterion's seamless product which is sold by the same guys that make Starquartz tiles) in the workshop and Porcelanosa's Ston-ker tiles in my detail and storage bays.

10. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    The reason Marlboro advertises on the Ferrari F1 cars is not so that people will run out and buy a pack of smokes, but rather to keep the name in peoples mind and to maintain their brand.

I think there is a lot of value in having racedeck stay in peoples mind through ads here. I first heard about it on the Viper club when someone from Racedeck posted. Prior to hearing about it and hearing positive comments, I would never have considered a plastic floor could be durable enough to work in a garage. Then I saw a guy at a tradeshow using Racedeck (red and gray tiled) and it looked really nice. So I figured I might give it a shot for our tradeshow booth. Then I saw you advertising here and now "racedeck" is a name I know. Having seen the product and walked on it, I really like it. And I will probably be a buyer for my business in the next year, and probably a buyer for my home in the next couple of years. So I think the ad is working in that respect.

The thing I would say is that Rob ought to make the ads more prominent, because actually until this thread happened, I didn't even know Racedeck sponsored the site. I am conditioned to tune out all advertising, so the only ones I do know that advertise are Sodacom and the plasma TV place (because the pic of the TV caught my eye).

11. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    ...and the plasma TV place hasn't been a sponsor for 8 months now. :)

I tell all the sponsors they need to be active on the board. That's where they can get the most value. Even if making the banners larger, I don't think that's going to cause more people to visit their sites. However, if the sponsor is active, if a few users try the product, if those users come back and discuss it... then I think a sponsor gets rolling. When most of the users know your name and know what you do, then they'll continually bring you up in threads and also off the site when your product/service is applicable.

I also hope that the FC user community gives our sponsors the first chance for their business.

12. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Our biggest sales to date have been to motorcycle shops. If any of you here have a bike that you like to show off, a 4X10 section of color matched (or contrasted) tile for your bike looks real great trimmed out. Its less than $175, also, so its not a huge investment.

Ed

13. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I am planning a complete garage redo in the spring, though I am not really a do it yourselfer, it looks to me like racedeck may just get my business. I just have to find someone willing to install it.

14. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Carnut,

It really is a DIY project in that if it starts to go wrong you can pick it up and start over again. I did my floor with Kiwi about two years ago, it's a three car garage and after gettting about one car's worth done I decided I didn't like the pattern and that it wasn't lined up right. I took it apart and started over. It still looks great today, even better in the spring when I can power wash it.

Just one thing- a set of good knee pads should come with every order

15. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron

Absolutely a do-it-yourself project – VERY easy to install and remove – I use an underlayment material designed for floating laminate flooring. This eliminated the “sound and feel of the product under foot” issues stated previously in another reply.

16. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Question for the guys at Racedeck:

Do you currently or are you planning to have a discount for FerrariChat members? I think the product is nice and it resonates well with this community and it would be great if you guys offered a promotional discount for us!

If so, I can think of at least half a dozen to a dozen guys who will line up to buy your product.

Thanks,
    Byron

17. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Can someone elaborate on this "feel?" At the dealership we had a section of plastic interlocking tiles to display one car and walking on it was annoying, clack-clack-clack. If the tiles had a rubberized bottom that would go away, but these didn't. They also weren't very flat in relation to each other, giving it a kind of "rolling" look, which contributed to the sound. I don't know if they were Racedeck or not, but I would never buy them whatever they were.

My next garage will have a textured finish, sealed and clean.

Mark

18. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Our promo is no shipping. The tiles come in boxes of 48 sq ft and weigh close to 45lbs per box. Shipping can get expensive and in most cases this will save you guys a couple hundred bucks.

Plus we are in North Carolina so there is no out of state sales tax.

However...I have answered a couple of emails and I want to start a buy in discount.

If we can get a few orders going and the total is over 1,000 sq ft I can discount the floor from $3.75 sq ft to $3.49 sq ft... No Shipping!!

Take some measurements, and if some of you are wanting to put down a design, the best way is to get a sheet of graph paper and draw it out. That way you can say I need 30 yellow tiles, 32 red, 25 black and I can help you figure out how many trim pieces you need.

How does this sound to everyone? I would love to get some out and have you guys posting up the before and after pics. I also like to use those on our website. What better way to showcase a Ferrari.

19. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    damn straight!

i got about halfway done with my garage when i realized i had stupidly picked the wrong line to be the straight line and had to back it all out. i guess i shouldn't drink so heavily when doing home improvement projects :). totally not a big deal though. wildly DIY.

i cannot. i have kiwi tile and think it's great. it's right on top of the concrete. no excessive noise. i think it feels great - even in bare feet! the floor is much warmer (not on the cement) and it definitely is more comfortable to stand on for long periods than concrete (i guess it's got some give - i dunno).

doody.

20. ntol

ntol Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Clemmons, NC
    Full Name:
    Neil
    By the way...We are a Kiwi Tile dealer also....so if anyone is interested in it I would be glad to help. Visit our website at www.carolinasealcrete.com. I will waive the shipping for f chat and f chat friends.

The tiles sell for $3.59 sq ft and $3.29 over 500 sq ft.

21. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I just remodeled my garage and considered your tile but instead decided to go with 16"x16" porcelain tiles. I wanted a more "upscale, showroom" look.I also didn't like the fact that with racedeck , when you hose down the garage the water seeps underneath. With the porcelain, I also made the base board using it. Also it was cheaper per tile.

22. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    fwiw, this is why the "open" tiles that kiwi sells and racedeck also seems to have now are great. especially if you get weather where you live (eg: snow).

i too don't like the idea of solid tiles - it seems like a liability.

the problem with any ceramic etc. tile that is laid in mortar or adhered to the cement is that it can come up with moisture, etc. (the shower in my master bath is a gazillion 1" tiles - what a freakin' nightmare!). these let the the water evaporate.

each spring i vaccuum the kiwi with my shop vac to get the sand up. and wash it (the white tiles do get dirty) with soap and water. no problemo. but it's also no biggie to separate big chunks and drag 'em out into the driveway for a power-wash either.

my two drachmas.

doody.

23. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Water sitting on top of the Racedeck will sweep/blow/mop out. There will be some that gets through the cracks, but it will drain out to the edge of the floor/ out the garage doors as if there was no covering on it. Its pretty much a non-issue, IMO.

Ed

24. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As I stated before, love the product - but, to address the post above -
    Purchased my race deck tiles from a web store for $3.49 -
    no shipping -
    no discounts -
    advertised price -

how about a better deal for us Ferrari owners?

25. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    #25 rossofiorano355, Jan 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    my racedeck with wood base
    Image Unavailable, Please Login