Is anyone in the business of racing? | FerrariChat

Is anyone in the business of racing?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by 62 250 GTO, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I am looking for a career change and I have always loved motorsports. I would be interested in driving/teaching/organizing events or schools and pretty much anything to do with racing in general. Does anyone lead this kind of life? Or can anyone offer advice?
    TIA
    I'm in Halifax N.S Canada and of course I would be willing to relocate for a good oportunity.
    Neil

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    62...If I were you, I would use the web to find every track / school in the country. Call each one and find out who the decision maker is. Tell them what you want to do and that you would relocate. With the clear enthusiasm of your post, I bet you will find several interviews if you hustle.

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    It's a tough business. When you have extremely talented people that are doing it for the love of it and not the money, it's hard to compete if you need to put food on the table. Many instructors are pro racers that instruct on their off weekends. Whether you want to drive or manage, the best route is always to make money elsewhere and go about your racing like it's a hobby.

You can end up with a million dollars in racing, only if you start with two million. :)

4. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    You mean sitting here eating a sandwich won't get me anything? WTF's up with that! I have to make phone calls? Ahhh, that sounds hard.
    Good idea, I'm not even sure I know what I want though. I thought about this for the first time last night.
    Perhaps attending a driving school would be a good idea, so I know how they are taught.
    I know about the history of racing and sponsership and event planning etc... so I believe I have a foundation to begin with. Now if I can only get Michael Schumacher to write me a letter...

5. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Fair enough, I'm not thinking about starting my own school, or even my own racing.com business. Probably start working for a company, learning the way things are done, making contacts, etc... I really do love racing, it's the only sport I have stayed with and the only businesslike venture I am always excited about. Getting my foot in the door maybe tricky {I could always start as a custodian and work my way up} but when I do, only my dedication and ability will be my limit.

6. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Panoz has quite a few schools at different tracks around the US and they are the ones that Audi uses for its "Audi Driving Experience". You might check out www.audidrivingexperience.com and check out the Panoz link.

Also check out Bondurant and Skip Barber. They are all good.

I know that working for the schools is not just track time but a lot of the nuts and bolts of operating a business. Like you said, attend one of the better schools and see what they do. It will at least give you some direction on how you might like to approach it.

I have been to Barber three times and attended three different Audi driving clinics with Panoz.. Barber was a lot of fun because the first instructor I had was Dorsey Schrader and the next was Terry Earwood. Terry is a blast and Dorsey a hoot...........

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have looked into Skip Barber, just as a racing school a few months ago, it looks like a tight ship.

I will examine the other places in the next few days. Looking at ideas from others and improving them is something I've been doing for awhile now. A problem may be my last name... I don't know a racer or a team with the name Mackay on their door. Contacts are key in any business structure, racing... more so?

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    MacKay may not be on a door or fender but he (JIM) was a very good sportscaster. Maybe that would help, along with just a smidgen of talent.