Is it okay to brag a little on my kid?????? | FerrariChat

Is it okay to brag a little on my kid??????

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Just a proud dad I guess.

A couple of weeks ago I posted how fortunate I felt my son was because of all the exotic cars he had ridden in and been in by the age of 13. Also, some of the really neat car people had had the opportunity to meet. I still believe so. But on to something different.

At the age of 4 he told us he wanted to play violin. Of course we said, "sure son, whatever you want". When he was 8 he reminded us that he still wanted to learn the violin. My wife checked around and found a home school violin program in our area. She got him set up and going in private lessons. He seemed to progress well. This year we started him back in public school and they offer no string orchestra program but only band. So, he decided he wanted to do that along with the violin. So, he picks up, now get this, TUBA!! And kept on playing violin. In November he tried out for the Lone Star Youth Orchestra in Irving Texas and landed the lead 2nd violin.

Last night we attended his first ever concert (recital) in which the audience has paid to attend. He was second up on the program and played a solo of J.S. Bachs, Bouree. He is the youngest member of the orchestra which is comprised of mostly 15-18 year old students who have been playing their instruments for roughly 7 to 10 years on the average. He played the piece totally by memory, as I believe any soloist should. None of the other individuals and ensembles in the orchestra did this. His private teacher showed up at the last minute, delaying practicing with his own Baroque string quartet in Dallas just to hear his recital. He said that he felt the performance was excellent with very good feeling. Our son just needs to work a little on his stage presence he says (I agree with that).

Needless to say, we are proud that he is pursuing a dream that he has had from such a young age. If he can remain that focused, just maybe some of you will hear of him some day. BTW, they did cut a CD of the performance last night so I am going to get my copy autographed. You just never know...............................:>)

Jordan.
    I am sure you can appreciate his enthusiasm for music. I am sure you have felt and continue to feel the same feelings yourself.

2. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    it's perfectly all right to brag on them.

When you realize how much time goes into raising a kid (or kids in my case) you should take time to tell everyone when you're proud of them.

3. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Congratulations !!!

The Porsche magazine "Christophorous" recently did an article on a famous NY violinist who drived 911's. He apparently is quite wealthy and merely in his late 20's as a result solely due to his musical ability.

I wish your son all the best !!!

4. Dave Radu

Dave Radu Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    San Jose, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave Radu
    Congradulations to your son and your family. Achievements like this are always a family effort.

Here's wishing to continued success,
    Dave

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Congrats! That's wonderful.

6. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

#6 gabriel, Jan 27, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    >Is it okay to brag a little on my kid??????

Are you kidding? Of course it is! When I posted a pic of my son on the TR wheels that I was selling, someone replied something about a "Ferraridads", instead of a "Ferrariads" section. :)

Congratulations!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Congratulations Audiguy! You really do have a lot to be proud of in your son! Playing a solo is hardly an easy thing to do. The few times Ive played a solo with an orchestra, I felt like passing out on stage from a mix of fear and excitement :) Playing with an orchestra is one thing...when the audience cant really single your own sound out. If you make a mistake, nobody will know who it is! When your soloing, thats another story :)

8. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jordan,

I know what you mean. When I played French Horn I played in a Horn choir and when my solo part would come up the pit of my stomach felt like I had a brick in it and I would hyperventilate. Not my kid. He walked out on the stage expressionless, waited for his accompanist to be seated and ready, nodded to her that he was ready and away they went. About four minutes later they finished, he achknowledged the applause, bowed to the audience, waited for his accomanist to stand and together they exited the stage. I asked him later if he was nervous and he said not until they got off stage and then he began to shake. He never showed it on stage. And, he was the only soloist all evening who played the piece by memory.

I guess time will tell what his real maturity level is. In his spare time, when not playing violin and tuba, he can be found at the Gamecube console defeating all the different levels of the games he plays. I guess that is the normal kid part.................................

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Congrats James!