Brake discs for Ferrari | FerrariChat

Brake discs for Ferrari

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by velocityengineer, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocityengineer

velocityengineer Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hello everybody,
    I wanted to take the opportunity to introduce the Girodisc line of high performance brake discs to you.
    Girodisc is a California based company, run by a pair of engineers.
    They have produced very high quality direct replacement discs for many sportscar applications. The discs are race quality castings made in USA, and the hats are aircraft spec 6061 aluminum. The mount hardware is all aerospace, high strength and heat compatible. They are zinc coated so there will be no rusty edges or inner faces.
    The discs simply replace the OE disc with a lightweight, better cooling, 2-piece version. the intent is to have a disc that is better for track days as well as being fully compatible with the stock car.
    The best part is that the disc for the 360 is less expensive than the heavy OE disc! and when the iron disc wears out, you only replace that part and save the aluminum hat section, which is even cheaper still!
    The factory discs are simply cast iron castings, they are not made of special materials or forged on Mt Olympus. I am including a picture of a Ferrai 360 fitted with the front discs.
    There will be discs available for the Testarossa, 512TR, 348, 355, 550-575, and the F40.
    Check out the website at www.************

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Looks like you left my car out... Oh Well!

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I believe it is against the user agreement to 'spam' ones products so to speak if you are not a sponser. No problems, just please understand that the sponsers to this site pay for such. Thanks and have a great day.

...I think I am just bitter since I am putting 18in rims on my 328 and am looking for slightly larger rotors that would fill the gap better than the OEM ones....but you dont offer any rotors for us 328ers... :)

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I also its against proper etiquette to promote a product on your first post. Maybe your too nice Auraraptor, but I have a serious problem with this guy. Maybe I'm not seeing the entire picture.

So velocityengineer are you a sponser here? If so, I welcome you and apoligize for any bad blood, if not, I urge you to either contribute to the forum with your comments and even better, also become a sponser.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Auraraptor,
    Here's a pic on set I had made last year for my 308 with 18" wheels. The project got delayed because of some engine work I was doing, but I should get them on the car this winter.

6. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Very nice Mike. Where from and how much is all I have to say. :)

7. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    Thanks for the post, sounds very interesting. I will keep your info when its time to replace my discs.

Ernesto

8. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Velocity engineer,

Tell us more about your company. Those who don't want to hear about people who have products for Ferraris can hit the delete button. I'm in Torrance, Ca. Where are you? I have some great Ferrari race projects I would rather not one-off myself. Are you guys into making stuff with limited future commercial value? Most owners are OEM'ers.

There is a huge difference between a "hey guys here is something available" and continual advertisements in the wrong place on this board. If people want to advertise then they pay as sponcers. It is is Rob's board he can do what he wants but I for one am happy to hear about non-Oem products.

9. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    1400 / pair? Ouch!

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This is Eric Dahl, he has inquired about sponsorship and is interested. Eric goes way back with FC and users like Chris Parr doing Brembo stuff at his previous job.

11. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So the OE discs from Brembo are more than $1400/pr? Sheesh, I had no idea.

12. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Auraraptor,
    The disks are from true chioce and were $300 each. I had coleman make the hats, they where $250 each. I still need to figure out what I'm going to do about calipers....that's what's nice about just buying a kit, someone else already did the thinking and planning, it also usually works out cheaper by the time you're done.

13. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I see, velocityengineer, I am sorry, I relize I have jumped the gun a little too soon on you. I hope you forgive me. Best of luck in making your product well known!

14. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Can you tell us why your product uses 6061 aluminum for the hats while the challenge rotors use 7075 for the hats?

15. velocityengineer

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hi Mitch,
    We considered several materials for the bells.
    7075 is the correct material to use for endurance racing purposes specifically. It is a stronger alloy than 6061. However, it does not machine as clean and discolors with anodizing, which is why it is always a yellow-green color.
    For a roadcar, and even one that sees track duty, 6061 is more than strong enough. It colors well, and the cost is reasonable. One of the goals of the discs is to keep the cost within reason. Ferrari challenge discs cost $800 or more.
    I hope this answers your question. Thanks for asking.
    Eric

16. velocityengineer

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    A picture of the Ferrari 360 disc set.

17. cmparrenzo

cmparrenzo F1 Rookie

Mar 3, 2002
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Chris Parr
    HI ERIC!

Glad to see you on here! YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME ON FCHAT!

Chris Parr

18. velocityengineer

Nov 8, 2003
    Globally
    Full Name:
    Eric Dahl
    Hi Chris,
    Glad to hear from you.
    A friend of mine who engineers for Porsche USA in the day and I decided to open a company and fill a gap we saw in brake discs. After we saw that Ferrari wants $900 a piece for OE F360 rotors, we knew we could do better.
    Now we are making discs for everything from Subarus to Lamborghinis!
    How is that F40?
    Did you get the turbos upgraded? Let me know when you will be running in California again. Take care.
    Eric
    Oh, and a pic of Girodisc on a 360...