antifreeze | FerrariChat

antifreeze

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fastaone, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    Hello ferraristi
    Imp concern on the overflow of antifreeze on my 1983 308 GTS,
    I found that after a 30 mile ride, I saw antifreeze coming out the overflow as soon I killed the engine, the temp. Gauge did not run hot while I was driving, I checked the expansion tank and it was at list half way full. Did I have too much antifreeze? Did anyone have this same problem?
    Thanks in advance
    Peter

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Do you bleed your radiator quasi-regularly?

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Faulty cap. Replace.

4. JeffMN

JeffMN Rookie

Jan 18, 2004
    I can't speak for 308s specifically but that's normal in alot of cars. The cap lets the fluid into the jar at a certain pressure and it gets sucked back in when the car cools down.

-Jeff

5. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    I replaced the water pump about a month ago, that was the last time I bleeded the radiator.
    About the radiator cap, it was replaced 2 weeks ago.
    How much antifreeze should be in the expansion tank?

6. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    There should be a figure (or two) in your OM showing the recommended "cold" level -- something like 6 cm below the cap (check the "liquids" section in Chap 1 and the "cooling system" in Chap 3).

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    I believe that the level of coolant in the tank shouldn't be more than between 2-3 inches from the neck. Be sure to bleed the radiator as well. Sometimes you need to do it a few times to get all of the air out after a service of the cooling system.

8. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Definitely try bleeding radiator 1st, and it may a take a few times. I had same thing when water pump was replaced in my Mondial. You're also probably down on coolant after it pizzing out overflow tube.

9. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

I would check the cap again.

Most of the time some anti-freeze coming out is normal after topping the system off.

But since you have changed the cap, lets look at it.
    Sometime ago,even ferrari had a problem with a supplier and got caps that didn't seal for the testarossa. It was like 1 or 2 MM too short.

Good Luck

10. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    IME, you need to fill the reservoir only up to the seam that goes around the middle, which is about 2 inches down from the top. Use a mixture of about half anti-freeze and half distilled water, and stick to the same color antifreeze that is already in there.

You also need to periodically bleed the air out of the cooling system by running the car up to temp, turning the heater levers to heat, and then opening the front (radiator) bleed screw until the air is out of the system (with the engine running and with the radiator cap in place). Some people do this when the car is parked on an incline, I don't seem to need to. However, I do need to bleed quite regularly.

If it still burps whe you turn it off, then you should replace the cap.

Kind Regards, Chris

11. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Same problem too until I realized I added too much coolant; I believe its 6cm from top (where cap seats). I bought a small T-square ruler and cut it at the proper coolant level, so I just put it on the refil neck and add coolant until it touches the ruler.

No problems since.

12. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron