speedometer | FerrariChat

speedometer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by fastaone, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    A new question..Is it possible that the odometer is recording in Kilometers and the speedometer is in miles on my 1983 GTS EURO

2. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

NO, most likely, the speedo is in Kilo and the faceplate is one for MPH.

I have seen this on some Euro conversions.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have heard of that on this list. The speedo face is rescreened or refaced, but the gearing and odo are left alone. I think it was mentioned that this was done to many of the 512bb's that were converted for the USA. Should be easy enough to check. Get out on the freeway and use the mile markers to check the speedo and odo.

Dave

4. fastaone

fastaone Karting

Jan 9, 2004
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Peter F
    Well yes I did that, I took a 32 mile drive,(Done that before with my BMW)and the Speedo read like 56, so I think you are rite , that tells me that 76900 is actually about 47000 miles I only have the car on the street 3 months I guess that’s good news
    Thanks all
    Peter

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    And then when you do a CarFax, you can turn up all kinds of descrepancies. Some people will do the math and record the mileage as actual, real miles, while others will use the odo # assuming they are miles. So the car paper trail over the years could read something like: 2 years ago - 30,000; 1 year ago - 20,000; this year - 40,000. I've seen this a LOT on imported cars, especially ones from Canada.