Web Browsers / IE, Netscape --- MOZILLA | FerrariChat

Web Browsers / IE, Netscape --- MOZILLA

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Doody, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i read with amusement some stats (link posted in another thread) about the browser type and operating systems that folks are hitting fchat with.

for those of you still using IE5, uh, c'mon now, the upgrade is free ;)

even better, i thought i'd take it upon myself to put some good words (REALLY good words) in for the latest version of mozilla:

http://www.mozilla.org/

and if you're into tabbed browsing (and lord knows WHO ISN'T!?!?!?!) you MUST (MUST!) download this extension:

http://white.sakura.ne.jp/~piro/xul/_tabextensions.html.en

the Tabbrowser Extensions are nothing short of magical. they're work to set up, but now that i've got it done, i can sift through megabytes of web sites in nearly zero time. it's amazing.

for the geeks in the crowd (ESPECIALLY the tab-browsing geeks) you definitely owe it to yourself to check this stuff out.

doody.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I'll try that out - I've been an Opera "World's Fastest Browser" Fan for a long, long time. I can reopen 20 "tabs/pages" at next session. None of that oversized "Open new window" (read:browser) crap.

3. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Mozilla nuthin'............I use Godzilla!

4. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    would you mind posting a screenshot? also is there a search bar that you can use?

I am enjoying my google bar that also blocks popups

5. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    screen shot attached. google does not have a toolbar for mozilla, but these guys don't sit back and take it. you can see a google toolbar in the screen shot - there's an extension that includes it - even more functional than in IE6 (i use it in IE6 all the time).

i've customized the crap out of all this, so this is "my look". give it a download and check it out for yourself. it's free!

my only complaint at this point is that IE lets you put toolbars side-by-side to save screen realestate. mozilla does not appear to permit that (though you can collapse them, as you can see one is collapsed in the screenshot).

mozilla blocks pop-ups. you can block stuff OR with the tab extension stuff you can just have them open in another tab (which is what i do). the other cool thing is you just mouse over a tab to switch to it. if you've got a dozen tabs open it saves hassle. you can also navigate them with your scroll mouse, etc. etc. --- the level of customizability is insane.

doody.

6. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Long time Mozilla user here.

7. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Just downloaded/installed this sucker - downloaded tabs - (no sweat find & install), closed browser, reopened (to make tab extensions take effect) - Changed appearance via Preferences, closed browser (to make appearance take effect) - reopened. Total time invested, 6 minutes, tops.

In other words, easier n' yer sister.

8. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I use Opera, but I still use IE at school (where I am now) because I have no other options here.
    My home PC seemingly didnt like IE so I was forced to find a new browser, thus, Opera. I love the Tabbed browsing and how you can see how fast you are browsing.

9. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ok, i'm in, i hate having my bar thingy at the bottom always filled up with new windows

10. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    wow, this is pretty awesome. Can i un-instal ie now?

11. ralessi

ralessi Formula 3

May 26, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Rikk
    Pretty cool, thanks - I may give it a try here pretty soon

12. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    Ok now that I realize what tabs can do for you I've switched as well. But is there anyway to change the way tabs are sorted. I have a set of 4 tabs as my home set. When I open mozilla they come up just fine, but I want to change the order. right now they are in alpha oder, but I want my usual hompage to be first and them the other tabs how do I do this?

Thanks

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    brian - yes, download that tab extender thingy (the second link i posted) and once you've installed that you can drag and drop the tabs to reorder them.

fwiw/fyi - i can't get quicktime to work with mozilla properly. bummer, but hardly a crisis.

doody.

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    anyone know how to make the favourites sorted by name?

btw, Brian, how do you make more than one page your homepage?

15. Brianjonesphoto

Brianjonesphoto Formula Junior

Dec 2, 2003
    Seattle Wa
    Full Name:
    Brian Jones
    I can drag and drop them, but when I close the program and come back to it the order has changed back.

Doody what version are you using? Where can I find the google toolbar for mozilla?

open new tabs and pull up the pages you want. then go to prefs, set current group as home page.

16. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Opera sucks.

17. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Doody - to resolve your Quicktime problem, go here
    http://www.apple.com/trailers/

Pick a flick
    Choose resolution

You'll be prompted to update your Quicktime software

It'll do everything for you, etc. - once everything is done, just exit browser & log off net, shut down - restart. Restart is primarily because of the here-there and everywhere update package that is Quicktime 6.5. Everything should be hunky-dory.

I appreciate you keeping us abreast of this most recent version, particularly the "tabs" aspect - otherwise, I'd have passed - having been spoiled by Opera. Just as Excellent - Either is 50³ times better than IE.

18. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    thanks a lot brian.

anyone know how to alphabetize favourites?

19. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Hit "Bookmarks" - "Manage Bookmarks" - from there, best way to learn is learn as you go. I'd detail more - but gotta fly...

20. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    ok, thanks for the pointer

21. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
  22. DropGems

DropGems Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Atlantic City, NJ
    I use safari for mac. It's better than IE imo.

23. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i have a mac too - i run them side by side on my desk and i find safari far slower than ie6. i don't think it can hold a candle to mozilla (i haven't tried mozilla mac yet).

apparently the upcoming new version of omniweb (february?) is supposed to be stunning - i'm hoping it's nice.

doody.

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Getting a little cabin fever, eh, Dude man? I was thinking bout you snowbirds the other day as I was crusing down the road...

Dr Sunshine

25. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    don't make me get on a plane and come down there and beat you, doc ;)

yesterday it actually got "nice". it hit the mid 20s and the wind stopped. i was outside about 22:30 and remarked to myself "hey, it's NICE out!".

somebody kill me. please.

NB: be careful of NEWSMONSTER. it's an RSS reader. it screwed up my mozilla good (at least i think that's what did it).

also, when an XPI asks you whether you want to install it for all users or just one, choose one if you can (ie: nobody else uses your computer). it apparently installs it into your user directory (assuming you've set up a profile) rather than in the mozilla directory. so if something screws up mozilla on you and you have to re-install mozilla, your XPIs are kosher - no need to reinstall.

doody.