I got the carbs back on (308)--and--SHE STARTED!! WOOHOO! | FerrariChat

I got the carbs back on (308)--and--SHE STARTED!! WOOHOO!

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had a triumphant moment tonight, where boy mechanic became teenage mechanic (but not quite man).

After having the carbs rebuilt by Pierce Manifolds, I got 'em all back on and gave them a baseline mixture adjustment.

I spent some time adjusting the throttle linkage, fuel pump came on line, then changed tone--carbs were full, car was ready to start. Three pumps of the pedal (I now know that this gets some fuel in there for starting, from the accelerator jets).

I started her up and... She started to fire! BOY did it sound horrible though. Well, it was like 30 degrees and she hadn't been started in a month and a half, so I can understand. I had to hold the throttle open a bit to keep around 1500/1800 RPMs for a few minutes, then she started to warm up.

I saw some white smoke, coming from I believe the rear header, and then got out of the car to check on it. I had just put some oil in, and I think some may have leaked out after the funnel tilted over, onto the header--this is my theory. It's happened before.

While I was checking on this, yes, the car idled on her own for a while... Barely... At like 6/700 RPM I'd say, but she was idling. My guess is, tomorrow, once I sit there for a while and warm up (with manual throttle), it'll get to a sustainable point where I can begin adjusting the idle.

Thanks to you all for all of your help. I feel more confident with, more attached to, and more appreciative of the car than I've ever been before...

Now, tomorrow's the sync process! Which opens up a new can of worms... More threads to come :)

2. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Woo-hoo indeed!
    Sounds terrific - it is a great, great feeling, isn't it? :)
    Looking forward to your updates!
    best
    rt

3. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Good job - you can do it. You da' man!

4. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    Great job Mike. At least it's cold out, and the heat from the engine will feel good while you are sync-ing your carbs. I did my first carb sync in 98 deg Texas heat! <Note to self: sync carbs in winter...>

5. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Now that is a fantastic point that I hadn't yet considered... Warm my hands by the nice warm engine!

6. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Congrats on the first start.

Are you a chickensh!t like me? I surrounded the car with fire extinguishers.

It was about 40deg out when I recently sync'd mine, so I was quite warm and cozy leaning over the engine.

If you can get a steady idle, you might twiddle the mixture screws first. If some or all of the cyls are off, you'll find this will raise the idle speed substantially when you get the mixture somewhere near right. Also, it's hard to do a sync if you've got some cyls missing.

On first fire, mine ran like crap and settled into a 600rpm idle. Adjusting the mixture brought it up to 2000rpm with the throttles in the "Dr. Mike" position. That's why I had to back off the idle screws some.