Any 60s Cadillac experts here? | FerrariChat

Any 60s Cadillac experts here?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Texas Forever, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Okay, this is real shot in the dark. Does anybody here have any knowledge of what to look for and what to avoid in a late 60s Caddy? Particularly like a 66-70 DeVille convertible? DrTax is thinking about going way off the deep end here...

2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    1959 would like nice next to a Camaro.

3. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    oops !

look

4. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Ah, Ralphie, if you only knew what I have in mind...

5. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    Some had a 472 cube engine, some had a 500 cube torque monster. Since both are gas guzzlers, might as well look for a 500. But I think the 500 cube engines came along in the 70s. Don't forget the steer horns to bolt onto the hood.

6. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Damn, somebody been talking! Actually, I was kinda thinking of a wing on the back...

I'm thinking though that the 427 motor was pretty reliable, yes/no/maybe?

7. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    All the Cadillacs in the 60's were "demolition derby strong". Very good cars. I personally like the 63, 64, 67, 69 versions.

I can assure you this is an impulse purchase and you will regret it.

Get a Chrysler letter car.

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Ahh I can see it now. Dr. TAX in "Fear in loathing in Houston,TX." I know of one that maybe of an interest for you. I'll get the details and a photo. The car does need work though.

9. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    dr tax, i believe there was a nice 1966 with a 472 here for sale cheap, i believe its a convertible as well. ill do some digging before i go to work. parts are actually getting easier to obtain with the 'net. they are fun, safe but are huge and gas milage is worse than a more modern " fun" car.

10. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    from our local tell n sell paper, may not be the year you are looking for, this is a current ad ....
    "1972 caddillac coupe deville, strong 472, 400 turbo trans, ready for paint, lots of new threads( ? ) 85% restored $1000.00 912 685 3920 metter ga."
    i have to work overtime on a customers aircraft project this weekend, i am willing to call for you if you like to get more info, i will travel there and look at the car for you IF you are serious, but it may have to wait until saturday afternoon. i can call today if you like. sorry if its not the right year, i read this ad last thursday so the year of the car was a little foggy. happy hunting. michael

11. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    #11 whart, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey Dale: i grew up with these cars in the sixties; my father got one every other year; unfortunately, he traded the 59 convertible for a 61 sedan, but we also had a black 64 convertible which was very dean martin. They are tanks. I lose interest after 66, because the fins after that year become boxed in; these things are also huge, and driving them is more like yachting. But having said that, i know there are a few dealers that specialize in the marque. The other car from the period is the 60 Chrysler Imperial. Black, of course.

To wit:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #12 Texas Forever, Jan 28, 2004
    Ralphie, you're getting close. More like Fear 'n Loathing in Pebble Beach. Thinking about all the straight roads between here and there, I'm pondering shipping the Maranello beast and driving an Enzo Cadillac out to Pebble. It's gotta be a convertible. I can slap on a $500 Rosso Red paint job, put on some shields, Ferrari flags hanging from the longhorn hood ornament, maybe a wing, put a cooler in the back, drop da top, like da man said:

Well I was rollin’ down the road in some cold blue steel,
    I had a blues man in back, and a beautician at the wheel.
    We going downtown in the middle of the night.
    We laughing and I’m jokin’ and we feelin’ alright.
    Oh I’m bad, I’m nationwide.
    Yes I’m bad, I’m nationwide.

Easin’ down the highway in a new cadillac,
    I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back.
    They sportin’ short dresses, wearin’ spike-heel shoes,
    They smokin’ lucky strikes, and wearing nylons too.
    ’cause we bad, we nationwide.
    Yeah we bad, we nationwide.

Bill, I'd love to find an early 60s version; but they have gotten expensive! Hell, they're almost as expensive as a 30k service on a Ferrari!

Carreaper, I appreciate the thought, but it's gotta be a drop top or I can't groove it.

I might sell the car once I hit the land of milk and honey and drive the Maranello back. Or, I know, maybe I'll enter the car in the RM auction. Or, better yet, doesn't Pebble have a hot rod judging. Oh baby, come to Daddy!

ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr "Cadillac Jack" Tax

13. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Add a carbon fiber wing to that Caddy. It will be the next best thing
    to you know what.

14. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    Dr. Tax,

I like the way you think. Hunter Thompson described the car you need in the first chapter of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Make sure you travel with your attorney and a trunk full of mind altering substances :)

Hope to cross paths in Monterey.

Erich

15. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!

Erich, sigh, it has been a while since I read the original F+L in the Rolling Rag. Can you remind me what kind of car it was. Memory has a funny way of fading...

And yes, all us F-Chatterboxes should meet up in Monterey.

16. DMC

DMC Formula 3

Nov 15, 2002
    WI/IL
    Full Name:
    Dean
    A friend of mine has a '65 and '66, both convertibles. The '66 he has is perfect, white with red leather and black top. I like the '65-'68's. The '69 got rid of the stacked headlights, which I prefer. That's a nice '68 in the picture.

The engine was a 429 until '68, when they went to the 472. Both used a 4-barrel Rochester carb, pretty stout engines.

No real problem areas that I'm aware of, however, the engines did change from year to year and between series, so some research is needed before rebuilds.

The Cadillac-LaSalle Club is online at http://www.cadillaclasalleclub.org/

17. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    I believe the car is a big red caddy convertible with a white top.
    Or maybe it was a white caddy. Anyway you are on the right track for the road trip to heaven.

Erich

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Chiming in here, but I remembered the engines as 472 CI in lieu of 427.

I had the Eldo in 1976 with the 501 CI in it.

Man, I wanted two of those babies in a speedboat or something!
    What a motor. It would do front wheel burn outs.

19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Dr. Tax, you planning on doing a homecoming parade or something?

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    #20 Texas Forever, Jan 28, 2004
    Allan, I figure that if you can put together the world's fastest art car. And if our pals in New Orleans can gin up the world fastest po-lice car (see below), I can cobble together the Enzo Caddy to drive to Pebble Beach.

A lot of folks here have been asking, "WWED," (What would Enzo do) about various issues. Well, my quest is to figure out WWEHD if he had ever built a 19-foot long car. I mean this is America, right? There is a lot of open road between here and Califorina, yes? And you and I are Texans, correct? You love ZZTop, for sure. So the answer is obvious -- A long, red, drop top, Caddy with a motor that just won't quit. Come on, I'm right ,aint I?

DrTax

21. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    And the best part is, you won't need a room!

My Eldo was like driving your living room sofa down the highway.

And when parked on the beach, facing the waves, with fog rolling in off the Gulf of Mexico, stereo on, and a thin layer of sweat on the sky blue leather upholstery...... well, my 21 year old daughter is named Renee.

You going to Pebble? We can convoy!

22. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Uh... yeah... this here's the Cottonmouth, Red Rider... with the Psycho Billy Cadillac... and that's a negatory on the cost of dis here mochine...

23. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
  24. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    It must have been something in the 50's and 60's to cross the country, alone or with family. Sitting in your Cad, Chevy, Ford...whatever. Driving on those new freeways, seeing all the wacky sights in those strange states. We have lost something I tell ya'. Who has time for extended pleasure anymore?

25. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Too funny, in the early 80's an old friend and myself bought a '69 Coupe de Ville with a zillion miles on it. We used it to tow our ski boat (472 CI engine if I recall correctly).

I can remember coming home from the lake on those 105 degree Texas days with the A/C running and the radiator would be boiling over. This thing really impressed the ladies. :) Then it became my airport beater car when I began traveling extensively. I couldn't afford radials so I put a set of bias ply tires on it... what a handling fool it was! It would really drift through those turns sliding on all 4 bias plies. I actually had that thing for about 5-6 yrs...