New gearbox oil on the block? Royal Purple? | FerrariChat

New gearbox oil on the block? Royal Purple?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The past year has seen some very lengthy threads on the right gearbox oil to use in our 308, 328, and other F-cars' transmissions (gearboxes and differentials).

There was a fair consensus forming around using Redline 75-90 NS, in some cases with a little differential "slip" additive added to prevent differential "chatter."

In the past months I've read a number of posts referring to Royal Purple.

What is this stuff? Anybody use it? Is there any research that compares the properties of Royal Purple (RP) vs. Redline?

2. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
  3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Michael,
    I too am curious, and have seen the threads over at the "other" site. Based on JRV's experience, and others, it appears to be a winner. I am betting that the formulation, is somewhere "in between" the Redline standard gear oil (with the slip additive) and the NS (no slip additive) products, as Royal Purple states it is suitable for both applications, that is; limited slip differentials, AND synchromesh transmission. But I am just surmising from what I have read and heard...

4. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    AGIP 75 90 LSX
    you can get it in liters now, easier to pour has the ls aditive in it, made in Italy, made for our cars! nuf said just added it and bought the shirt :-0

the dog with six legs is a friend to man with four wheels

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Whew,
    After rereading all those threads, I must add that I HAVE since developed a slight bit of limited slip "chatter" (using Redline 75-90 NS)(or at least what I think is; as I may be incorrectly diagnosing it). In any event, I added 1/2% Redline limited slip additive to my gear box and noticed it seemed to help some. I have also been told that I should take the car to a parking lot and drive in reverse making a tight right, then left turn (several times) to work the lubricant into the limited slip plates. My car is is not back from the shop yet (new fuel injectors) but when I do, I will try this.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fantastic to hear the AGIP is available in liters... That I think was a top chouice. The Shell stuff that Ric Rainbolt uses is also a top choice, but I think is only available in 5-gal buckets?

7. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I don't know about this specific product, but Royal Purple has a very good reputation.

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You'll note that Ferrari recommendations coincide with F1 sponsorship ties!

Shell falls both before and after the AGIP years!

I have used RP for a long time. It works.

9. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I just put Royal Purple in my Celica. $10 a quart! Yikes!