First Drive: 360 CS | FerrariChat

First Drive: 360 CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by bjc138, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjc138

bjc138 Karting

Sep 2, 2002
    DC
    Full Name:
    brian
    Visited my Ferrari dealer on Saturday and was handed the keys to a new black 360 CS. This car had a teflon type paint hardening treatment that brought up the colour fantastically.

Off to lunch: Key in, push the start button (too cool), pull the trigger and we're off! This cars rips through the revs like a motorbike and bounces off the rev limiter in what seem like milliseconds! The trouble is, once you reach 5000 rpm the 'real' music chimes in...and oh, what a sound. You find yourself keeping the pedal pinned just to hear the noise when ...blink...rev limiter...time to grab the right lever and hope that the police are deaf and blind!!

Sadly, had to stop to eat. Then off we went again, this time through a 1km tunnel. As we approach, I slow to 40kmh (in an 80) in the outside lane. Queue building behind, lane clearing ahead and then...floor it! Holy sh*t, it wails like a banshee, Ferrari music bouncing off the walls of the tunnel, brake lights on every car in the right hand lane not knowing what the hell that shreik is!! You guessed it, rev limiter again, grab another gear out into the open air less than 150 meters from the exit, stand on the brakes (at a seriously illegal speed), pull on the left lever (the downshift is soooo special) and we're almost stopped: 75 meters *before* the entrance! Whatever has been written about these brakes cannot convey their stopping power, especially when you apply the same pressure that you would normally give to haul a 550 down from these speeds!

Having traded-in my MV F4 motorbike for my CS (due in a few weeks), I can safely say that the directness of the steering, the high-speed gear shifts will be back with me soon...in 4 wheel form, can't wait.

-- Brian

2. Gman

Gman Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 15, 2003
    York, PA
    Beautiful car and it sounds as if the police will be just waiting for your delivery! Where are you writing this from?

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    I WANT! Sounds like you had one hell of a time.

Can you comment more about the ride, handling, stiffness, shifting (any issues?), etc.?

--Dan

4. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Oh, man, it looks so sweet in black...

BJ, congratulations on taking one out for a test spin... Sounds very cool... We're all very envious... Please keep us posted on when you get yours... :)

5. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Great story! That is quite a special car :)

6. bumboola

bumboola Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2003
    Brian,

Do you have any more pictures of that car, including the interior? It's crunch time on my order and I'm trying to decide on a color combo. If you can e-mail the pics to me in hi-resolution I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Great write-up!
    Did the new owner know you were "bouncing off the rev limiter"?
    When my new CS comes in, I hope it only has delivery miles on it.
    BTW, which dealership allowed this and when I'm in town can I take your CS for a short spin?

8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Great write-up, thanks for sharing.

My question is: How does it feel in terms of acceleration and power, seat of pants, versus a 360 Modena? Does it feel tremendously quicker?

9. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Oh dear,sorry to hear you had to sell your MV F4, i have one my self and have placed my £500 deposit on the new F41000.Shame you could not keep them both especially now proton have bought MV so your bike like mine will be the last of the true Italian MVs. Anyway fantastic car dude.

10. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Yea, sorry to hear about that. I beleive the 360 and F4s are arguably the best designs Italy has to offer in 4 and 2 wheeled vehicles. The day I sell mine is going to be a very sad day ;)

The black/red Stradale(with red calipers) and stripe looks fantastic imo. I saw the below car first hand last week and was very impressed.

Scott

11. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hmm,

The pick got bounced out.......file too big.

12. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    when i was at the factory last month i saw a black stradale with black/red alcantara seats. it wasn't the more typical red seats with black trim like you see in the stradale brouchure. instead it was mainly black seat with red trim pieces (reverse of the seats in the brouchure). this combination looked GREAT. this car also had a red lower dashboard and red brake calipers. it did not have a stripe though. IMHO the stripe looks awesome on the black stradale...but i also like the stripe on the rosso scuderai stradale :)

13. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    great story! CS looks awesome in black. oh, and gotta love the D110 in the background.

14. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    **** me stupid, I love it!

And I want one. Looks killer in black.

Best!
    Ben.

15. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Can you tell us more about that? The luster of the paint looks very different... very appealing. And if it resists dirt better than standard clearcoat, could be a phenomenal upgrade. Is that some factory option? Or some aftermarket thing?

16. cohiba_man

cohiba_man Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2003
    Canada
    Full Name:
    John
    I would love to hear about this teflon coating as well.

17. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    I love black cars, but it is a nightmare to clean them because less than one hour after your work it comes dirty. That is why some weeks ago I looked for any way to keep my car clean and shiny for more time. I have the solution : a teflon-like treatment based on fluoresin, a chemical application who is a mix of different molecoles ( http://www.swissguard.ch/en-us/defa...tprotector.html ).

The result is fantastic : I clean my car in less than 1 hour, every 2 weeks. I clean the car with standard soap and a sponge, I rinse it with a lot of water. In 3 or 4 steps. Then I dry it with a special silicon scraper and a microfibre towel (the water is very hard here -calcium- the drying must be done quickly).

Then even the car is shiny for many days, even if it rain. The part who come dirty firstly if the back of the car because there is less wind friction.

Less than $500, no more wax, more time for driving (or for my wife/kids), shiny black car, happy face!

PS: a black 360 CS should be my next car...