How do you assemble a 328 headlight switch? | FerrariChat

How do you assemble a 328 headlight switch?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Morrie, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    The plastic knob that rotates cracked, so I epoxied it and hope it will hold. I have the ball bearing and understand that you hold it in place with grease while sliding the knob back on. This doesn't look like it will be easy.

Then I found a small spring on the floor of the car. It's adout 1" long and 1/8" in diameter. Did this come from the switch, and if so, where does it install?

If it didn't come from the switch, I'm real curious where it did come from.

Alternatively, does anyone know where knobs can be obtained? From what I can tell the switches are no longer available and have to be rebuilt and are very expensive.

Thanks

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    If he doesn't reply to this thread soon, search for "Verell". He has the knobs and all the answers.

3. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    This site is great for spare parts :

https://www.owners.ferrari.com

I've ordered rubber trim, console knobs, battery cover nuts, springs, etc. for my 328. All with great results.

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I seriously doubt you'll find the headlight switch parts at FoUK. They're unobtainium. Contact Verell.

5. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    If the 328 switch is anything like the 308QV, then the spring does go under the ball bearing. On the 308, there is a recess w/i which you place the spring. Try to hold the bearing in place with the tip of your finger just as you slide the knob over it. It will still work w/o the spring, but the spring makes for a more positive feel when to rotate the knob to the on/off positions. It's a little tedious, but not too bad--good luck. As other chatters note, Verell has made up some knobs .

6. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Morrie, if the 328 switch is anything like the 308qv, the spring fits into a recess ( it's an obvious spot-a hole-- on the switch). The bearing goes on top of the spring. Try to hold the bearing on top of the spring with the tip of your finger, depressing the spring into the recess as you slide the knob over it. As noted in other replies, Verell has made up some knobs.

7. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    OOPs--sorry for the dulication! I'm used to the old site and when i didn't see my name at the top of the topic, i assumed it wasn't recorded. Anyway, there it--twice. I'll be glad to repeat it again too!

8. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your help. This board is a priceless resource.

I'll try to put my epoxied one together, but I'm not confident that it will hold. Sounds like one of those things that requires three hands.

If I'm not back in 48 hours, send a search party...

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Morrie,
    You've got eMAIL.

Was out of town, for several days & just saw your eMAIL.

Yes, I have a mold for the 328 headlight twist knob.
    It produces an exact duplicate of a factory knob.

The 328 knob that I used as a master had about a 2mm long ding across a couple of the fine grooves that run along the length of the knob. I had to manually fill in the ding & restore the grooves before making the mold. The result is a small unevenness in a couple of the new knob's grooves. You have to be looking for them to spot them, but just felt you should be aware that it's not cosmeticly perfect.

Additionally, While the knob has impressions of the original icon
    markings to guide you, you will have to paint the icon markings on it
    yourself.

If you want me to make you one, please send eMAIL saying something like:

"I'm ordering a 328 Headlight Stalk knob. Please send it to me at
    (your shipping address).
    Send the eMAIL to:

[email protected]

Regards,
    Verell

BTW, Doc is correct, the spring goes under the small detent ball. I've found that you can use a small piece of wooden dowl with a slight cup whittled into the end to depress the ball & hold it into place while slipping the knob over it. If you examine the hole in the knob, you'll see a flat section with grooves along each edge. It's easiest if you slide one of the grooves over the ball.