Enzo Ferrari's son at Morosso Cavallino | FerrariChat

Enzo Ferrari's son at Morosso Cavallino

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by titanium360, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    #1 titanium360, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
    Yes indeed. Here at the end of race day at Moroso with Maurizio Parlato (Pres. FNA). It put a tingle down my spine!

3. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    IGNORANT QUESTION HERE.BUT.....WHY DIDNT HIS SON TAKE OVER THE FERRARI EMPIRE?? ANYONE KNOW??

TIA,
    BRUCE

4. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    #4 Old Guy, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Bruce, he still has 10% of the company's shares.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Ultimately, after Enzo's death and the sale of the balance of the shares to Fiat, Piero owned 10% of the company, with Fiat holding 90%. I have no idea how many shares Piero has retained. Among other things, he is the Director of Ferrari Engineering, a part of the company which handles outside projects (similar to Porsche Engineering).

7. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I saw him also.

8. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    I THOUGHT HE OWNED SOMETHING.....HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIS DAD....

THANKS OLD GUY, ELI..

BRUCE

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    BTW, in Staceman's picture, that's Michael Louli and Nika just behind Piero's head (in the distance).

10. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I saw him in the lobby of the Breakers on Thursday and said hello to him. He recipricated and said "Hello how are you." Seemed like a pretty decent fellow from just that little exchange.

11. udalmia

udalmia Guest

ummm ok is it the old guy or the young guy

12. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    In the photo I posted, Piero is on the left. The guy in the center (blondish hair) is Maurizio Parlato, President of Ferrari/Maserati NA. The other two drivers are Chuck Wegner and Jim Fuchs.

13. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
  14. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    He is an adopted child!

15. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    he didnt inherit a grater share in the company beacuse he is "illegitmate (sp)", His mother was Enzo's long term mistress, Enzo wanted to keep him out of the limelight until after his wife died (rather tha upset his wife who had lost her only son), so he therefore wasnt around officially when Enzo had to sell out partially to Fiat in the late 60's

16. dogue

dogue Formula Junior

Sep 2, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Terry
    I also saw him that day, but did not have the guts to ask for a photo with him.

Wings,
    Your post implies that Piero was not actually Ferrari's son and the resemblence is coincidental. I believe that Piero was the illigitimate son of Enzo and his mistress and was only adopted after the death of his wife. From the photos posted he is definately Ferrari's son.

This is taken from "the Secret Life of Enzo Ferrari" by Richard Williams. From all that I have read it is accurate.

"Ferrari already had a wife, Laura, and a long-term mistress, Lina Lardi. The volatile Laura had given him a son, Dino, a promising engineer whose death from muscular dystrophy in 1956, at the age of 24, sent Ferrari into a period of somewhat operatic mourning. By the gentle, undemanding Lina he had a second son, Piero, who was not permitted to carry the family name until Laura's death in 1978, when he was already 33. Having spent decades in social obscurity, Lina now lives, along with Piero and his family, in the big dark house in Modena where Enzo and Laura made their home."

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That's pretty close, but I believe Dino died of some type of chronic liver disease, not muscular distrophy.

Pierro has done an excellent job with gracefully handling what surely was not an easy social status.

He is, at this time, the only direct lineage of Enzo, and has a son, named Enzo!

18. staceman

staceman Karting

Sep 23, 2003
    At Home
    Full Name:
    SGT
  19. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Staceman, I was reaching for the airplane company.

They are featured in Forza I think, this month, with the airplane this site was discussing last month with the shields on the tale. It has the little front winglets and rear facing turbo props.

I think Pierro is doing okay.

20. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Speedy, Pierro's grandson is named Enzo not his son. Pierro's daughter kept her famous name when she married, which I believe is sometimes the custom in Italy. She then had a son which was name Enzo Ferrari.

21. Santini

Santini Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2003
    North Carolina
    Cool thread.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks Debbie!

He was pictured with him at the Factory 50th celebration, I think.

Did you meet him? He seems low key, a "behind the scenes" guy, like his father sometimes preferred, to achieve his goals.

Thanks to the Florida crew for posting some great pics for those of us who couldn't attend.

23. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    I did meet him in 94 and he seemed to be a very low key kind of guy.

24. cmf

cmf Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Mid-West
    Full Name:
    Charlene
    Hi there. Where you able to go down to cavallino? Do you know Jim Fuchs?

25. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    At the Cavallino Jet reception, while we were waiting for the valets to return our cars, he was standing next to me, so I said hi and shook his hand. I told him I had a 328 and he nodded approvingly. He was very nice.

At the track my wife decided to stay in food tent while I watched a race. When I came back she was the only one left there except a table full of men in expensive Italian suits, including Piero. My wife thought the Mob had walking in . No I told her: they are more powerful!

Piero is Enzo's son just not by his wife.

Dino may have had Muscular Dystophy but he ultimately died of kidney failure.

Dan