The Nurburgring | FerrariChat

The Nurburgring

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Admiral Thrawn, Jan 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Hello all.

I'm interested in familiarising myself with and chatting about The 'Ring.

No doubt many of you have driven on it, so I was wondering if I could ask a few questions:

Does it have no speed limits?

Can anyone drive on it at any time, like an Autobahn?

Which particular section of the track (I have a few maps of it) is used for Forumla One?

Lastly, which (if any) section(s) of the track is generally regarded as being the most dangerous, infamous, etc?

Thanks in advance.

2. ferrari_e_basta

ferrari_e_basta Karting
    BANNED

Nov 1, 2003
    nr Nurburgring, GER
    Full Name:
    Helmut Schnug

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks for the reply.

I just remembered the 360 crash last year at the 'Ring involving two Ferrarichat members. :-(

How exactly did this crash occur and what part of the track was it?

Are there many disastrous accidents like the one above occuring regularly?

4. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Mr. Shnug,

Tell on! Im super interested too, it really is such an important part of both motorsports and the modern development of some really awesome cars (namely porsches) but also others Im sure (lotus, lamborghini). I think ferrari stays at fiorano no? Maybe Lamborghini mostly at Nardo?

5. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    During the summer of 1970 I travelled across Europe camping, following the F1 Circuit. I spent a week around Nurburgring camping next to the track. Each day I spent my $.50 per lap to drive the rented Renault around the 14 kilometer track. Each day I saw 2 to 3 Porsches wrapped around trees. I took care to stay to the right, watched my mirror carefully, and went as fast as I could to reduce closing speed. There were some real serious street racers having fun on the track. The biggest thrill was getting airborne with a quick right turn upon landing. What a beautiful setting for an F1 race.

Jim S.

6. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    So does anyone know where that 360 crashed, and why?

7. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
  8. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Twice I have done three day schools at the Ring, put on by BMW. It is simply unbelievable.
    I lost it big time at Bergwerk due to missunderstanding with my memory cells.
    The sense of history was overwhelming,the old Sporthotel was still there, along with the old wooden grandstands. The little gasthaus in the Sporthotel only had about eight stools at the bar.You just wondered what historic people had sat there. I was in awe the whole time.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's probably the best question to ask regarding the ring... the ring... what are the best schools for learning it? If you are flying in, what's the best source for renting a suitable car for driving it at said schools? Any schools that provide cars?

10. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    Don't have any experience with schools at the ring but one important piece of advice I can give you is that when you're a newcomer don't take a "suitable" car but take a SLOW car.

Go around the track in a SLOW car 10, 20, 30 or more times and memorise the track, keep a good eye on faster and slower vehicles and only when you can DREAM each of the 70-or-so turns, each of the 100's of bumps etc THEN take a "suitable" car.

A car capable of 150 MPH+ will only hit 120 in two spots or so, so high top speed is definitely NOT the fun of the 'Ring.

DON'T get carried away in thinking that you're an excellent "racer", especially when it starts to rain as the track gets VERY slippery.

DON'T get loomed into a false sense of security by following a faster car with a driver that apparently knows the track by heart.

There are probably about 10 potentially lethal bends per lap so start slow and slowly increase your speed lap after lap until you REALLY know it.

Most accidents happen because of too big egos and failing memory...

Jack

11. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    While the rest of your advice is sound and for all, I think that advice is just for those lacking self-control. Flooring it on a straight and listening to some beautiful exhaust sound, and then slamming on the brakes is fun and reasonably safe anywhere... but even more fun on a historic racetrack and even more safe given people are expecting such behavior.

What is true, though, is that trying to take each corner at the limit of the car is way safer in a slow car than a fast car. But you really shouldn't be doing it in either car until you've been driving the ring a few weeks (given how long the course is). All modern cars are fast enough to kill you.

So, when I visit, I plan to get an M3, 911, or Ferrari... drive the first lap where I assume every blind corner is really really slow... memorize the slowest corners... and then drive every lap as if every blind corner is just like one of the slowest ones (because some of them are, and I'll surely forget which is which). But in between blind corners, I'll have a blast flooring it and braking hard... and I want a car that does those things well!

But that's just me!

12. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Course notes!!!

13. Sharky

Sharky Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2002
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Bart Boonacker
    It's really, really hard to memorize the Ring, since it's a track of ~10 km orso.
    some corners are fast, some are realy, really slow.
    Lots and lots of blind corners which can only be memorized, as Helmut said, in 20, 30 or more laps.
    If you search the net you'll be able to find some info about all the corners, if not I'll be willing to scan my course notes Jens provided before we went to the Ring.

Be very carefull when driving the Ring, don't expect to be the best driver and certainly don't try to race anyone.
    Drive at your own speed and enjoy, it's a great track.

Bart

14. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Here's something that helps enormously, go buy the following:

Xbox Video Game Console
    Project Gotham Racing 2 Video Game

Outside of Grand Prix Legends (an old game on the PC), Project Gotham Racing 2 is the only video game that offers a scale complete version (even with elevation changes) of the entire North long course of the Nurburgring. It also offers about 100 street cars, including the M3, NSX Type-R, various Ferraris, etc, simulated quite well (but with slicks permanently mounted so lap times are faster than normal by a bit).

It allowed me to totally memorize the Ring, to the point now that when I watch internet video camera footage of a ring lap, I anticipate exactly when the driver should slow down, where the shift points are, etc, the direction, everything. I'm amazed, I thought I'd never get it. Even the graffiti and roadside houses are correct in the game.

It will take about 100 laps of experience to be able to race the Ring in the fog mode the game offers without crashing, meaning that the fog is a test to see if you're bulletproof.

15. Roland E Linder

Roland E Linder Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    COLORADO
    Full Name:
    Roland E Linder
    Just a few words to get you ready.
    I raced on the old track on bikes and cars. I did the 24 hors bike and 84
    (yes 84 eighty four) hours. Even after so many laps, you still make MISTAKEN...
    Take it easy, it's 164 turns and your brain will trick you. When you think it's left coming, you'll find a right....
    You'll have a ball if you just stay under control. No need to have a big fast car, just a good one that will help you to have FUN.
    You can have rain on one side and dry on the other, fog and during the night ...some souvenirs.
    Good luck and enjoy that great opportunity to drive that amazing track
    Roland
    F40LM

16. becker

becker Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2001
    Arlington VA
    Full Name:
    Becker Cuéllar
    That's correct it's a 100+ turns lots of them blind and 22Km will take quite a while to get them memorized quickly. If you are going to be doing often a yearly pass maybe the way to go , for a single ride is about 14 Euro and there are some discounted passes for a number of laps.

Here there's another web-site that might be helpul

www.nurburgring.org.uk/ringers-faq.html

Ciao

17. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    The only downside is that there are no cheats for PGR2, so you will have to play through the whole game (40 hours worth of playing) until you can access the full Nurburgring Nordschliefe (20.8km track).

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Alternatively you could get Grand Prix Legends and start racing the Nordschleife instantly. It's part of the base package.

19. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Yea, you could, but PGR2 is a much better game. ;)

20. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Easy there. You better explain why or somebody will bring out the flame throwers. Not me (yet), but there are some diehard GPL fans on this board.

21. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy