308 CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT | FerrariChat

308 CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TURBOQV, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Hi guys

I have a new kevlar clutch in my turbo 308, After driving it to VEGAS it now takes full travel out to engage it. Is this adjsutable or is it fried? I searched the archives for 308 clutch adustment and found nothing? My manual does not cover it very well. Any help grteatly appreciated.

Thank you

Paul

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Did you search the old FChat site? I just did "308 clutch adjustment" (and mode) and there were 35 hits like:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/112/323913.html

What year/model 308? Early cars use a clearance between the throw-out bearing and pressure plate while the later 308 do not.

3. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Suggest you read the thread that 91tr posted a link below, then go to:

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/308QV_328_workshop.pdf

page 81 for the 308QV clutch linkage and pedal adjustments.

Very simple to do once you've stared at the linkage a while & gotten oriented.

Which reminds me, my clutch pedal is about 4cm above the break pedal, time for an adj..

4. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Paul, adjusting the clutch will move the pedal lower, but I don't think it will correct your problem. It will still disengage at the top of it's travel. That is exactly what my kevlar clutch did, I tried adjusting, the pedal moves, but the problem stays. I pulled away from a stop sign in the wrong gear and engagement point moved up 2"...it turns out that kevlar hates to be slipped. The combination of extra power, higher fiction kevlar disc and heavy pressure plate mean it gets hot much faster than a stock clutch and can't get rid of the heat because the size was not increased. My flywheel and pressure plate were a black color I've never seen before. Absolutely fried.

Here's the solution I'm trying...I haven't driven it yet though because of the winter weather.

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4309

5. 308geo

308geo F1 Rookie

Nov 13, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    George Benton LaFleur
    I did a Kevlar clutch also (my hands, shop manual, and Ric Rainbolt's guidance). I adjusted it to feel "right" after the installation, because the book specs are "not exact" in all cases (as I was told). Mine started the same exact problem a few years later. I skipped the DIY thing and took it to the mechanic that works on my '81 308 when I can't figure it out. One hour of labor ($100.) and he had it perfectly adjusted the way it was meant to be. The peddle does not have to be touching the floor to be fully disengaged, and it catches in mid-range; the "at rest" position while driving is right in line with the level of the brake peddle (roughly). Before the adjustment, the "at rest" position was darn near parallel to the dash! I had to really reach up with my foot to grab the thing. It is well worth the money to pay to have it done.

6. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    I NEVER SAID I DID ANY OF THE WORK. NORWOOD PERFORMANCE DID IN DALLAS, but thank you for the imput.

7. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Thank you Mark. I appreciate all your help. I have had just about enough of this car. When will it ever end? It is getting old!

Cheers,

Paul

8. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah

Thank you Verell,

You are a true asset to this board. I appreciate your expertise and knowledge.

Paul

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher

I know how you feel. It often takes a season or two to get a project sorted out properly in the hands of someone experienced. I've seen many projects the the owner never sorted out. That is the main reason that most people are so down on modified cars, they often have more than their share of problems. Making a modification means that you are second guessing the factory engineers, so it often doesn't go as planned on the first try....BUT, the guys at norwood are very good at what they do and once the last few bugs are worked out, I'm sure you will be happy. I have always just loved the way a 308 looks, but the performance leaves me a cold. Your car runs with the best of them now, hang in there and I'm sure you'll get the reliability back up where it should be.

10. tf308

tf308 Formula 3

Dec 14, 2003
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I was told that the clutch pedal linkage should be diengaged from the tranny. The linkage on the tranny should then be adjusted to put it to spec and THEN the pedal should be hooked back up. At this point you adjust the pedal to even it out with the brake.

I have not done this myself, but this is what a ferrari tech told me.

11. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Thanks Mark

You have always been very positive towards my project. The NORWOOD engine speaks for itself. I thought i had it all licked with the a/c working properly and all bugs sorted out. Oh well!

Your right, I love the timeless lines of the 308. It is beautiful!!

I wish you well with your beast as well. Happy Z06 killing!

Paul