Bill Gates to be knighted | FerrariChat

Bill Gates to be knighted

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by AnotherDunneDeal, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Just heard this on the radio. Bill Gates is to be knighted by the
    Queen shortly. I got no details on it so someone might like to check into it. Bill Gates,,knighted,,,imagine that!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, Sir Bill Gates..........................

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    yea, but Kieth Richards told 'em: "Keep it" LOL

Sir Mick, indeed.

3. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Technically he would be a KBE which means Knight of the British Empire, like Bob Geldof. If you're not British you can't be a Sir-anything.

4. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Right on. Gates deserves such an honor. Mick Jagger doesn't. The Rolling Stones are direct contributors to the creation of a cultural atmosphere of amorality, which has led directly to a generation of fried brain drug addicts and to the rampant spread of STD's, illegitimacy, and abortion. At least Keith has cool and humility that Mick doesn't.

If the Royals want to knight old rock stars, why don't they go ahead and give the honor to Ringo Starr, and George Harrison and John Lennon posthumously. The Beatles were right in the middle of it, but in the long run have made a positive contribution, in the past and continuing into the present, that the Stones never did.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, I think they made considerable contributions to the science of blood transfusions, heroin addiction treatment, things like that.

Jus' kiddin'.

That was Kieth's point, I think.

He said he still remembered all those blokes trying to put 'em in Prison.

6. bluekawala

bluekawala Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2004
    Ormond Beach, FL
    The Beatles weren't exactly innocent when it came to your drug statement... but I'll agree with you though. :) I don't really understand why an American will be knighted(?) and I think the grounds for knighting a music star is thin at best for most artists. If anyone deserves it though it most certainly is John Lennon!

7. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Hey, Bill could BUY the Brittish empire, so he can be Sir anything if he wants.

8. Ferrari_UK

Ferrari_UK Formula 3

Dec 6, 2002
    England
    Full Name:
    Jeff Howe
    I wouldn't sell Bill Gates a loaf of bread, let alone the British Empire !

As for knighting the Beatles ? Are you mad ?! Half of them are dead, McCartney can sing about as well as our cat, and together they made a raucous, abrasive moaning racket !!

The 'Stones deserve a tribute - they're real rockers !

He he :)

9. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i was listnin to Virgin radio the other day when this was announced and it was like they kept repeating it every 15 minutes.

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #10 wax, Jan 28, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  11. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Working in IT, and being subjected to Microsoft sortware policies for some 15 years now, I would sooner rip off my own gonads that welcome the idea that the figurehead of such a obstructive organ as MS should recieve the highest accolade from the Queen. And I'm no lover of the morarchy either!!!

I'm all in favour of swinging a sword in his general direction, but for other reasons than a Knighthood!

The Stones makes me think that drugs are a BAD idea, wheras Microsoft has made me reach for a big fat "bifter" on many occasions!

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i just want the head of the person who's responsible for Internet Explorer; if it's Gates, well, then... If the Queen slips with the sword, i'll try not to lose sleep over it...

13. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'll agree with you there on "Sir Paul"!

14. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    What...?!? No way are the Stones better than the Beatles...! This needs a separate thread/poll...!

15. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Dude - It may be fashionable to bash IE and MS in general, but most of the reason for Netscape losing browser & mail share was because it was crap. Even Morgan Stanley who did the IPO for Netscape and HAD to use the Netscape environment for PR reasons finally got round to binning it.

My software company drop support for netscape a couple of years ago because it was so much aggro to get things to look decent on it and no-one used it.

Its bad that there's no competition, but at least IE 6 is a decent standard.