Buying an F car... | FerrariChat

Buying an F car...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by frogman, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. frogman

frogman Guest

Ive been lurking for over a year.

Currently deployed to Iraq and have saved up all my money. I have been too "responsible" with my cash in the past and have concluded,on my fourth combat tour, that Im getting an F car before I die. Which can happen at any time as it seems.

I will be looking to do a wire transfer in full and will do so in the Jun/ July timeframe.

I will be home only one month and then leave for another six months, so the car will spend a fair amount of time garaged each year.

I plan on driving the hell out of it and treating it like my daughter when not on the road.

I have done very thorough research on this. I have the money and can afford to properly service and maintain it.

BUT!!!!

I am very concerned about getting a solid car, fair deal, and an HONEST salesman.

I cant afford to get screwed.

I want a Testarossa, post 88, that was babied by an F car lover and wants to sell to the same.

I would appreciate any referals or recommendations to good people in the business, preferably other owners or people you have bought from. Also inform me of any people/companies to avoid.

I have done lots of "search" and have a great deal of info. But would greatly appreciate any help.

I appreciate the help in advance.

Stay Low,
    BDT

2. branko

branko F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 17, 2003
    Birmingham, Alabama
    Full Name:
    Branko Medenica
    If you have been here a year, then you know getting a PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) is the best thing you can do. Also, if he has all the records of the scheduled maintence.

3. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Honest salespeople:

Martin at Cavallino Motors (www.4ferrari.com)
    Mike Grande at www.lnsmotorcars.com

I just bought a '98 F355 GTS from Mike, through Martin. Both are great guys and car people. Martin posts here all the time, not sure about Mike.

4. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Welcome to F-chat.

I am a salesman, but am not interested in selling you a car, Martin or the Car Store of Glenside will do that, as I came here to learn about TR's as well, since that will be my next acquisition very soon.

All I can say regarding "honest" salespeople is to look for someone who has been around a long time (10-15+ years) with 2-3 companies at the most. "Usually" that is your best bet for obvious reasons. And BTW.....I am not suggesting that newbies in our business are not honest.....there's just no way to judge them with a blanket statement like I just made.

I hope you have been keeping a copy of the tech threads relating to TR's..........the knowledge I have gained here is immeasureable and priceless. My only concern is how to repay those who have contributed on the technical side as I have reaped the benefit of something I cannot return.

Good luck........!!!

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Another Fcar dealer with an excellent reputation here is
    Steve Harris Imports (Salt Lake City). Many can attest to this. Website is www.ferrarisales.com.
    Contact the owner, Sean Harris. I bought my car from him.

He currently has a '90 Red/Tan TR with 6200miles that has recently been serviced. Asking $74,900 if I remember it correctly.I really want to get this car badly but bec. of our plan to relocate (which I hope materializes) I may have to wait. :(.

Good luck.

Ron

6. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Frogman, welcome to FerrariChat... As others have suggested, consider Martin at Cavallino Motors in Miami, Florida or Sean Harris at Steve Harris Imports in Salt Lake City, Utah... Both are stand-up folks...

Testarossas are awesome, great choice... Please keep us posted on what you decide and how you go about things...

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    So, in effect, you want a car that has never been abused so you can abuse it?

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Hope you find the car your looking for. Theres a place in my town that helps people locate the Ferraris they are looking for heres a link for that http://www.buxtonmotorsports.com/ Also on a side note are you in the Navy and you must not be enlisted to be thinking about getting a Ferrari and if you are enlisted must be a Master chief or something. (Just uessing Navy because of your screen name on here.)

9. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Hell, if you are on duty in Iraq, we all should chip in to buy you one to say THANK YOU for being in that hell hole, combating terrorist. Keep up the good work. God bless your efforts.

10. J Nicks

J Nicks Karting

Dec 4, 2003
    Peters, very well said

11. Grande

Grande Karting

Dec 6, 2001
    Yes, Mike from LNS posts here :)

I keep a low profile here since I do not pay Rob to advertise, although that may change shortly.

I have heard nothing but good things about everyone mentioned....even Martin :p

Mike

12. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Your license plate should read: DNGRPAY

Best of luck out there; our prayers are with you guys.

13. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    TRs are great but if you can scrape up $85 k + get a 512TR which has all the right upgrades and as you say you will be driving it hard, You'll be happier with a 512TR. What part of the US will you be buying the car in. It cant be stated enough how important PPI is. You do Not want to be restoring a Ferrari

14. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    So, did you get it?

15. jaturon

jaturon Formula 3

Oct 25, 2004
    Bangkok Thailand
    Full Name:
    Zane
    I agree go for 512TR and the worries should be less.

16. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Frogman----Keep SportAuto in NC in mind. Steve Jones is great to deal with and they are always getting Fcars in. Bought mine from them and made my first purchase a wonderful experience!!!!

17. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    Did anyone see how old this thread is???

Frogman isn't a member anymore...

Ryalex just likes to dig up old threads...

18. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #18 ryalex, Oct 12, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. TexasMike

TexasMike F1 World Champ

Feb 17, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    Michael C
    You are probably right...I'm sure they do have internet access in the "green zone".