What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328? | FerrariChat

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mike328, Jan 27, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

What gearbox oil are you using in your 308/328?

1. Royal Purple 75W-90

2. Redline 75W-90 ** NS **

3. Redline 75W-90

4. Shell Spirax 75W-90

5. Mobil 1 75W-90

6. Castrol Hypoy/c 80W-90

7. Castrol Syntrax 75W-90

8. Swepco 201 80W-90

9. Agip Rotra LSX 75W-90

10. Valvoline Synthetic 75W-90

11. Chevron Supreme LS 80W-90

12. Other (specify below...)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Just to get a feel for what's in use out there... I'm currently using Redline 75w-90 NS, switched a few thousand miles ago from Chevron Supreme LS...

2. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Mobil 1 Syn.

3. REM9

REM9 Karting

Jun 17, 2001
    Finger Lakes NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Russ Moore
    Mobil 1. I use that in both the 328 and the TR. Also use Mobil 1 motor oil. It's a bit more expensive than some, but it has proven advantages and is available almost everywhere which the exotics are not.

Russ

4. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  5. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Just switched to Redline 75W90 NS with the last gearbox flush. I haven't noticed as big of an improvement in shift action as others have but it is certainly no worse. Also, I am now using Mobil 1 motor oil.

6. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Amsoil? Nevah "hoyd" of it!

But here's the product info:
    http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/2000-75w-90.shtml

75w-90. Compatible in limited slip differential applications.

AMSOIL Series 2000 75w90 synthetic gear oil delivers unbeatable power-enhancing protection, thermal stability and fuel economy. AMSOIL Series 2000 gear oil provides maximum protection in both heavy duty and severe service operations. It supplies limited slip performance without aftermarket limited slip additives. Recommended for use in all passenger vehicles, commercial trucks and racing vehicles.

What made you decide to use this stuff?

--Mike

7. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mike,

The Euro 308GTS QV here was previously owned by Jeff Edison. He seems to know his sh-t, er, um, stuff, and uses Amsoil for oil and tranny. Did MUCH research in fluids and discussed things with some VERY knowledgeable friends online.

During the recent 60k major kept the all Amsoil fluids going (FYI: used the Mercedes fluid for anti-freeze). In the end i care NOT about cost as this is just a small expense in the scheme of things, though i DO DEMAND the best if possible.

Accept NO substitutes and YES, even at -15F the 308 here starts fine, shifts ok when cold (am talking -15F here) and at 32F she shifts a touch easier than -15F but still the usual Ferrari "cold" condition. After the usual few miles she shifts very well (including 2nd gear). Some of us DO drive our cars... including winter in the New Hampshire mountain region. As for summer shifting, after the usual warm up it is like buttah darrrling :) Naturally still DO NOT conduct hard acceleration or go over the proper rpm range when cold. When warm, well... :)

(Putting on my Nomex suit) Yeah yeah yeah, you guys can avoid the cold, talk about cold start wear, but with the right fluids... Look, NASA uses equipment at SEVERE COLD temps. Yes, the right fluid for the right job :)

Below is a graph concerning Amsoil tranny fluid.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

8. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
  9. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    castrol Hypoy-C

10. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ron, did you "Vote" in the poll, or just post here?

11. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I've got swepco 201. So far, no problems.

Dom

12. ChrisfromRI

ChrisfromRI Karting

Jan 28, 2003
    Foster, RI
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    DANGER, DANGER, Will Robinson -- another debate on oils...

I ended up using the AGIP ROTRA LSX 75W90 listed above (yes, I voted for it) as it is what Ferrari recommends, and I was frankly afraid to use the Mobil 1 because of the possibility of brass synchro incompatibility (excessive wear). The AGIP Rotra is a synthetic gear oil and is supposed to be compatible with the brass synchros in our transmissions as well as with our differentials. I understand that Mobil 1 is not compatible with brass synchros, which is too bad as it is easier to obtain and generally my first choice for engine oil (I do use Mobil 1 15W-50 in the engine crankcase).

The fact that the transmission oil and the differential oil are common in our cars makes this all more complex, since the characteristics that make the differential work properly (anti-slip) are different than the charactersitics that make the synchros work properly (slip). In the end, some compromising has to be done in any gear oil we use.

I have heard good things about Redline and Amsoil products from some people, but their products are not easy for me to obtain, plus I have never really used them much if at all, so I have never become very comfortable with them.

In the end, the AGIP was easy to obtain by calling AGIP USA at 1-800-632-8777, and also the OEM recommendation, so the choice was fairly easy for me.

Kind Regards, Chris

13. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My interest is peaked in the AGIP stuff, especially now that it's actually obtainable.

Hilarious, but not insignificant: One reference I found states the Lamborghini Diablo GTR uses the same Agip Rotra LSX SAE 75w90 that we're talking about here, both for the gearbox AND differential:

http://www.lambocars.com/framed/diablo/diablogtrs.htm

14. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Oh, BTW, the Amsoil temp graphic pictured somewhere above is slightly misleading. It insinuates that Amsoil is superior, but in reality it says that *synthetic* oil is superior to 'Dino' oil. Ask guys who worked on the Alaska pipeline. Dino oil will not pour out of an inverted open oil can at Nome temps. Synthetic will. All synthetics. I doubt Amsoil is any different/better/worse than Mobil 1 in this regard.

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    4re gt4,

Agreed, noticed that after i posted. Good call :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

16. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Chris,
    After much debate on the old board, I think we finally concluded that there are no brass syncros in a 3x8 transmission so the issues with Mobil 1 are moot.

Best,
    Birdman

17. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Not totally sure that was ever 100% concluded as a consensus, though some people concluded that.

If I recall, we established that the syncro rings were not brass, but with the tens upon tens of little components that comprise the total gearbox, some were worried some of those bits themselves might be brass...

18. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I knew a very technical engine builder who was an Amsoil distributer.

It is a good product.

Actually one of the first in the marketplace, making them as old, if not older than Mobil 1.

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #19 BigTex, Jan 29, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We've checked every car from a 246GT to the 360 Spider here in the shop and we can't find any tranny pieces that have been harmed by synthetic oils.

Sorry if this real world answer interrupts this fascinating debate.

AGIP/Mobil 1/Redline/Royal Purple/Amsoil/Shell is the same question as

Lambo/Ferrari/Porsche/Alfa/Maserati. It's a matter of preference.

And of course availability!

Preference and availability. Like this. Which do you prefer?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1. That was another myth blown out of proportion. I have used it for over 30K miles. Many Ferrari owners use it in their trans. Plus not chatter. I would be more worried about the chatter that everyone seems to be getting from Redline.

21. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    308GTS,

Agreed. Seems many people use Redline, yet we also hear complaints about chatter at times so then they feel the need to add yet another fluid.

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I had Mobil 1 in my 328 trans and it worked great for the first 8k miles, then the diff started making noises and the shifting became difficult and started crunching. Switching to Redline NS eliminated all shifting issues, but the chattering diff persists. I will add a bit more of the slip additive and report back (if I ever get my car back from the shop). :)

23. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I get some slight chatter in tight turns using Redline "NS", but I simply "give it the boot" with my right foot. Chatter stops, but it's scary on wet pavement.

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I forgot to mention that the "chatter" only occurs when making a very tight turn(light turning right from a stop sign), and I "gas" it pretty briskly. Any other normal driving, never hear a "peep".

25. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    I DID hear that there were some brass bearing cages though. Can somebody confirm that?
    DJ