360 "World Car" | FerrariChat

360 "World Car"

Discussion in '360/430' started by BrentC, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Does anyone know if the 360 was designed as a "world car"? That is, are all the models for Europe, the US, etc. built to largely the same specification? I realize RHD cars are different in that respect, but are emissions, engines, etc. largely the same the world over? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you look over in the CS dyno thread, you will see that thter are at least 3 build lists for the engine and emissions gear. USA, Euro-with-cat, and Euro-without-cat.

3. nberry

nberry Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    I do not believe so. European car need to be modified in many ways in order to be allowed in the US. However cars built for the Middle East apparently are in compliance of US standards. Asia and S. America may be a different story as well.

4. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Thanks for the feedback. I had heard from someone that Ferrari started building a "world" spec with this car, but apparently that was wrong.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    It depends upon what you mean. It is impossible for anyone to truly build a single "world car"... some specs are fundamentally incompatible. Certain stuff has to be country-specific.

But, what do you call it if you design the car such that the only stuff that needs to change is the stuff that needs to change by law? World spec?

The 360 is close to that... most everything is the same except the catalysts and related stuff... and the pumps associated with reducing emissions when a car is first started.

HOWEVER, all that does seem to add up to about 154lbs of extra weight for a US model!! There's a thread on that particular topic... and in there I've posted a list of all parts that differ between Euro and US models according to the parts manual.

6. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario

Regarding the extra weight of the NA car vs the EU car...there a German test where the car was weight in at 3080 lbs and the test in Car & Driver states that the car was in and around the same number...very confusing :(