308 Suspension Rebuild | FerrariChat

308 Suspension Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by seschroeder, Jan 25, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Well, the front is done and with no surprises or problems I'm happy to report. Now on to the rear.
    Of course I'm going to replace the inner bushing with ES, the shocks with new Koni's (new bushings of course) and clean/power coat the parts. The outer hub carrier bushing have me a wee bit worried. I'm certain the seals and thrust washers will have to be replaced but what else might I expect to find? I'd have to mortgage the ranch to replace all the parts. One last item, a good source for front hub grease seals?
    As always, thanks in advance.

2. Ferrari_tech

Ferrari_tech Formula 3

Jul 28, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Malcolm W
    Steve,

Nice job, but I couldn't help but noticing that you have all the top castor shims to one side of the ball joint, as a starting point after a suspension rebuild I would recommend two shims either side of the balljoint, with any adjustment done on the shims on the lower balljoint.

MW

3. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    For the outer rear bushings, at the minimum, replace the coated washer and the rubber seals, on mine I am replacing all but the end washers and the chromed inner most tube ( one of those had the chrome peeling so I replaced it ). Total cost on ALL parts per bushing at good pricing is about $130

4. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Mw

Actually the top ball joint has to shims on either side. The top has three to the front and one to the rear. I did this because prior to the suspension rebuild the castor angle was to great, sitting at 4.9 degrees. I understand, actually from one of your replies, that 4.0 degrees is correct.
    I'll be in touch with Ferrari UK very soon for the rear end parts.
    Thanks
    Steve Schroeder

5. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Steve,
    Where did you go to get the shock bushings? What was the cost?

6. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    The shock bushing came from Ferrari UK. They were 9.25 pounds each.

7. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Well, the "GREAT" total suspension rebuild is complete. Tomorrow the vehicle gets an alignment. Clean it up and I'll be ready for the spring driving season. Total cost was right at 1,800.00. New shocks and bushings, new inner bushings, powered coated "A" frames, lower ball joints, wheels bearings and seals, turn the rotors, rebuild front calipers, SS brake lines, new rear outer bushing and seals (I was lucky - chrome inner pieces all intact). No funny noises from the suspension is the best news!!!
    I thank everyone for their kind input. I moved the spaced on the upper ball joints to two on each side - advive from Ferrari UK tech.