79 308 GTS weber carb question/explaination | FerrariChat

79 308 GTS weber carb question/explaination

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by groovzilla, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    hello all,

having been a porsche 356 owner i understand the cold blooded weber carb issues..

**my question is that when i warm up my 79 308 GTS for about 10 minutes and drive around town for another 20 minutes, my carbs are still popping a bit on deceleration and once or twice on aceleration...(the temperature here in seattle has been in the 30 degree range)

because of weather, i haven't had the oppurtunity to really run the car out on the highway..

any carb owners out there have similiar carb popping after the car is warmed up??

thanks for informative responses..

william ceriale sea., wa.

2. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    When I first got my car, there was a popping - more like a snapping noise, like a twig breaking. Much worse in cold weather. I finally figured out it was 'sneezing' up thru the carbs.

I replaced the 55 idle jets with 60s and it was all fixed.

3. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Does sound like the idle jets are causing it to run a bit lean. Does it also happen at small but constant throttle openings or just under accel and decel?

4. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    Mine was at constant, steady cruise. Small throttle opening. Like 65mph in high gear.

5. groovzilla

groovzilla Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    seattle, wa.
    Full Name:
    william
    ***the carb popping is happening most only at deceleration...the sound is like the sound of the webers when they are cold...

6. 4Webers

4Webers Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Darrell
    My '79 does this exact same thing, mostly at small throttle openings on accel. I pulled the jets and found that 3 carbs have 50 idles, while one carb has 55s. ?!?!? I ordered 6 55 idles for the 3 carbs, but it sounds like I may have to go order a set of 60s...

When mine is cold, the popping is worst, but it persists even when warm. You may want to pull your idle jets and make sure that a P.O. didn't put smaller jets in for whatever reason.