The 328's back in form?? | FerrariChat

The 328's back in form??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jarends, Nov 8, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Thought I'd post a follow up on the missing problem in my wife's 328.

I waited until today to start it and bring it to the shop. Started with the misfire so I let it warm about two minutes, it suddenly sounded better. I took it out and it ran perfectly.

Went by the shop anyway (glad I didn't flatbed it like they suggested). They gave me a first class injecter cleaner and told me to drive it for about 100 miles.

Great excuse to spend the day in PA. Drove all over the place and it ran great. Put on about 200 miles. We'll see. They said it is a chance an injector was fouled.

Augustine, I told them about the extenders and they want to see what this does first. Let you know.

John

2. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Hi John. How have you been? How did you make out with that Trans Am? Say hi to the family for us.

Len

3. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Hi Lens, good to hear from you. I hope you and Potula (know I spelled it wrong) are doing well.

The 84 is just getting finished up, the gas tank was completely rust. When it was down and the sending unit out, with a flash light (smart enough not to use a match to look, proud of myself), the gas was a solid brown color, and the screen was completely blocked.

The new rear is in as well, so finally I'll get it on the road.

Hope we can get together soon, would look forward to it.

John

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    John,

I have been checking on your progress. I hope that the injector cleaner works for you. The guy that I bought my car from told me to put Techron into the tank every other time that I fill up. It may be overkill but I have not had any injection issues so far. Keep me posted!

-Augustine

5. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Augustine, Hi,

This mechanic told me that some use transmission fluid (is Techron one?). Anyway, I'll see how she starts on Saturday.

I'm just pissed I didn't get the gas heater installed in the garage before the freeze came in. This month's Ferrari Club magazine had a great article on maintaining a car. I'll try to scan and post it. Mentioned about the cold and the effect on aluminum parts. Also, keep the gas tank full. I've always done that.

We'll keep going, let you know
    John

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    "This mechanic told me that some use transmission fluid"
    Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Techron:
    http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/fuels/techrongas/advantage.shtml
    It's True - not Propaganda.

jarends, the best & simplest thing you can do is heed Azzurro328's advice when pumping fuel. Chevron's gas already has it, or you can use it in bottled form as an additive with some other Gas brand. After trial and error, I've used nothing but Chevron for years, and my engines have had no complaint.

7. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Who knows, might have misunderstood him, it was a Saturday and I don't wake up until around 1:00PM.

I'll keep it in mind, I've used Sunoco's top octane, probably another waste of money, but it feels right.

Thanks,
    John

8. Moondog

Moondog Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    North Carolina
    John, I can't help but notice the similarity in your cars symptoms and those I experinced with my '86 328. The fix for my car was a new "overprotection relay". I have followed your threads for a few weeks, not wanting to lead you off in the wrong direction, I kept quiet and let the "pros" help you.

When your car runs well, listen for the buzzing sound from the fuel metering valve(near the fuel distribution unit). You will easily hear the buzzing if it operating correctly. When the car acts up, quickly check to see if its still buzzing, or if it has stopped. You don't even need to open the engine lid to tell.

Back in the old F-Chat I went through the diagnosis with the help of others. The thread was titled "'86 328 Intermittant Hesitation"

You might want to check it out.

Tim

9. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Tim, I'll check that one out, thanks for bringing that to my attention. I did remember reading something about that on the old thread.

I hope it won't come back, but I'm not to sure of that.

I'll let you know as well.

thanks,
    John

10. jarends

jarends Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2001
    Princeton, NJ
    Full Name:
    John Arends
    Started like a charm this morning??

Go figure,