Gasket set for 355 (2.7 motronic) | FerrariChat

Gasket set for 355 (2.7 motronic)

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by BigHead, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I need the complete gasket set for a 355 motor (1995, 2.7 Motronic). It's part # 165725. The best deal I've found, after beating up a few of the usual suspects, is just over a GRAND. A thousand bucks for a gasket set!?!? Jeez, am I nuts, or is this just a crazy price for a set of GASKETS?!?

Your opinion would be appreciated!

vty,

--Dennis

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Must only be a top end rebuild gasket set, the whole engine set is closer to 2 grand!.

A) whether you are nuts or not is not answereable at this point
    B) this is crazy, but what can one do.

3. Gianluca

Gianluca Formula Junior

May 6, 2003
    Centreville, Virgini
    Full Name:
    Gianluca Chegai
    I am making my own for a 308. Took most of the engine apart with the exception of the heads.
    Places like McMaster Carr or MSC have a variety of gasketing material in different thicknesses.

An exacto knife and a set of punches plus a little time should do it.

The way I mark my gasket is to spread a thin coat of grease or, if the gasketing material is impervious to grease, anti-seize compound on the part (without studs) and then "press" it on the gasket sheet. All the details will be clearly visible. Punch all the holes first then do the exacto cutting.

Harbor Freight has several sets of punches from just a couple of bucks to about $ 35 for a set up to 2" (maybe more).

Please, understand that I have no knowledge of a 355 so the above may not apply. Then again, is a piece of the appropriate material cut to the right shape. Should be fairly easy.

Hope this help.

4. Diablo

Diablo Formula Junior

The gasket sets are very pricy, due to the fact that these gaskets are not very common.

I have had people look for F40 cyl. head gaskets. No dealer in the US had them. I finally had luck and Wide World got them.

5. HGParts

HGParts Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2003
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Heiko from HGParts
  6. ricrain

ricrain Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Dallas Area
    Full Name:
    Ric
    Hey Dennis. Ric here.

If it's like the 348 set, TR set and 308 set, the gasket set contains:

1) ALL the gaskets (head gaskets, valve cover, rear main, timing cover, cam ends, intake runners, AND the asbestos exhuast donuts, etc.)
    2) ALL the oil seals (cam seals, timing cover, rear main seal, etc.)
    3) ALL the rubber O-rings (including the cylinder liner O-rings, fuel injector O-rings, etc.)
    4) ALL the valve stem seals
    5) ALL the copper gaskets
    6) ALL the other little tidbits (water pump seals, etc.)

Basically, everything you need to completely rebuild the entire engine, except pistons rings, valve guides and bearings.

In that light, it's still costly, but not like purchasing it all separately!

7. Nick

Nick Formula Junior
    Sponsor Professional Ferrari Technician

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Nick Scianna
    Give me a shout I should be able to get you the lowest price around,
    e mail me at my Italian e mail adress. [email protected].I will ship it directly from Italy to you if you are still looking for a gasket set. Nick Scianna www.nicksforzaferrari.com
    Ferrari chat's oldest Sponsor.