Bought an Airbrush, 355 Die Cast Kit, Ready to Rock! | FerrariChat

Bought an Airbrush, 355 Die Cast Kit, Ready to Rock!

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Chiaro_Slag, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Well, I bought an airbrush kit (will hook up to my air compressor), some light blue paint, and a 355 die cast kit.

The kit is nice because I won't have to take a completed car apart to paint it. I bought a light blue paint to try & replicate the Azurro color (the azurro 355 that got away still haunts me). Will post some pics if I ever get it done (may take a while, lol).

Andreas - Do you use an airbrush or just spray cans?

Wish me luck! This could get ugly for me.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Jerry, I do wish you luck. You're a brave man.

No, I've never used an airbrush. I know they are superior to rattle cans, I'm just too afraid of the mess and cleanup. But if you're doing only one color, you might get away with it until the needles clog up. Good luck!

It'll be interesting to see who finishes first: I still got that F50 GT project sitting on my desk...

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Jerry,

Good luck! I can't wait to see how it turns out! :)

4. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    lol

I have no idea what I'm doing, but the guy at the hobby shop gave me good tips about cleaning the brush when done & how to thin the paint for good results - Sounds like fun. :)

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i have an airbrush and i'm just itching to use it. I've wanted to repaint my McLaren GTR for a while. Are there paints made for airbrushes or i've heard you have to mix them yourself. And ideas?

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I'm interested in painting a couple of different things - Die cast cars and Bodies for my RC Truck (Plastic).

Can't remember the type of paint to use on RC truck, but the paint for the die cast cars I was told is acrylic. I was told to mix it 50/50 with paint thinner (Thinner specifically for the acrylic paint) to get a good spray. Then to clean the gun with mineral spirits by taking it apart (instead of just running the fluid through it).

7. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003
    Have you traded cards for an air brush?

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    God no. Playing right now. :)

9. F355guy

F355guy Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Full Name:
    John P.
    Jerry,

I'm sure it'll turn out nice. :) The light blue is a nice color to paint. Here is mines.

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    quite inspiring. I have thought about doing the same thing. especially after seeing the italianhorses.net site - damn. just inspiring to really work with those models.