Boxer Kit Car | FerrariChat

Boxer Kit Car

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by GaryReed, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  2. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Looks like a Testaberlinettarossa.
    The nose looks like it is meant for a car twice the length of this one.
    ".they know not what they do............"
    DJ

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    This ebay replica is really icky. I have seen a nice looking Boxer replica at the Pierce County Annex in Tacoma. But like you said, why spend that much money on a fake?

4. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
    Man! The gap above that rear tire looks dangerous!
    DJ

5. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    They say they built it in 1990. At that time the 308 were going for 60+k, so it wasn't such a dumb idea.

The design of this kit is actually copied from a Koenig modification of the real 512BBi. Aside from the proportions being wrong, it looks fairly close.

So I don't have too much of an issue with it, but like most replicas, the fun ends once you get inside...

6. mondial85

mondial85 Karting

Sep 9, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Casey Slattery
    OMG, thats horrible! Hes calling that a Boxer? Thats a lot of money for a Fiero.

7. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    1990 eh? Who the hell would buy a 15 year old kit car for 15 grand plus tax, shipping, inspection, plus the risk of a hack job?
    I think I broke my eyes!

8. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Why no pics of the interior??? I wonder, I wonder?

9. saiid

saiid Karting

Jan 6, 2004
    London, UK
    I don't see the problem. Its the perfect car...

...for the man that also wears a fake Rolex!

10. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    That's my point. Some replicars might look on the outside (this one doesn't), but the interior doesn't live up to the original. Especially true for Fiero conversions. But I have seen Mc Burnie's that had the interior done as well. Those are nice.

11. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  12. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    From the Ebay listing: "...less than a hundred of the real ones made, and they run approximately a half a million dollars."

Wow! Is that what you paid for yours Gary?

Also from the listing: "This car is known as the most sought after Ferrari kit made." I think everyone knows that fact. I have been hunting for this car for years. Sweet. I hope it doesn't go over my max price of $50K....

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Gary, you can't compare it to your marvelous 512BBi. This replica is trying to mimick the Koenig version of the 512BBi. And it is doing a good job at that.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) a Fiero has the wrong proportions for a BBi, so it looks odd. And of course once you see the interior, let alone crank the engine, the illusion is all but gone anyway.

14. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yep, the guy was a bit off on the figures.... Ferrari built 191- 512BBs in 1979.

Sure wish I could sell my car for $500K.... I'd buy an F40 and a couple of other Ferraris.

That kit car must be pretty rare though. Of all the various Ferrari fakes I've seen over the years, I've never seen a Boxer kit.

15. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Tifosi12,

Interesting photos of the real Koenig 512. I found a couple more doing a Google search.

16. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
  17. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You have to admit that this thing will stop on a dime...the nose will dig into the asphalt and insure a top speed (80mph for this Fiero??) to 0 in 10'. You may need to use a prybar to get said dime out of your teeth.

18. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Oh CRAP!! Another Boxer kit car . Thats it , had it!!! My car is for sale.
    HAD IT DAMIT!!!!

19. PINNIN512

PINNIN512 Formula 3

Aug 30, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    David
    Changed my mind.

20. Slomo

Slomo Karting

Nov 22, 2003
    Bellevue, WA
    Full Name:
    David Chambers
    Funny thing is that the kit Fiero-i Boxer doesn't compare that badly to the butchery of the Koenig Boxer. In fact, I have to think the Koenig is a more heinous form of "plastic" surgery, taking a thing of beauty and making something...horrible. The Fiero is just someone trying to make something more than it is.

21. Prugna 328

Prugna 328 Formula 3

Sep 10, 2003
    L.I.N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Gregory
    This car=JUNK

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Actually it is not that rare. It is rare that somebody uses a Fiero for something else than a 308 replica (where the proportions somewhat match). Trying to put something bigger like a 512 BBi or TR on it, is a doomed project from the start.

The Koenig 512BBi kit however is readily available. The full kit does actually include that monster rear wing Koenig has.

Whether one likes the eighties look of the Koenig BBi is a matter of taste (or lack thereof), however the Koenig BBi does need all those wings etc. It has a twin turbo that turn it into a rocket on wheels. Those wings aren't just for show.

Would I want to do that to a 512BBi? Heck no! But the Koenig mods came out when the car was new and not yet a collectible.