How do you clean your belly? | FerrariChat

How do you clean your belly?

Discussion in 'New York Tri-State' started by noahlh, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Underbelly, that is. :)

So it snows out, the city salts the heck out of the streets and highways, and then it's a beautiful sunny day. You can't resist the urge to take the F-car for a spin.

But then it's covered in salt, and it needs a bath. A nice handwash will take care of the top, but how does one clean the underside of the car? Are there F-car-safe automatic car washes in the NYC area? Do you put it on a lift and hose down the bottom?

2. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Man, am I glad that this wasn't about what I thought it was about. I do not need yet another use for belly button lint . :)

Seriously, all I do is aim the hose under the car and do the best I can. Not ideal but even that is getting to be hit or miss with these below freezing temperatures.

This new stuff they are using on the roads is bad news. The roads stay WHITE and it's a ***** to get it off the body of the car. It's sticks like powderized glue. I'm still investigating , but it seems as if it's disolved the wax on the front bumper . Even Griot's Speed Shine wouldn't bring the shine back. I had to use a light polishing compound. I'll report more as I learn.

Tom

3. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Some drive through car washes clean the bottom of the car.

4. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    I remember one detailer setting a 250 PF high on jackstands, got on a scuba suit with mask, and with a small pressure washer cleaned the complete undercarrage.
    We were laughing for days.....all he needed was a set of flippers...

regards, jim

5. noahlh

noahlh Formula 3

Aug 28, 2003
    NYC, NY
    Full Name:
    Noah
    Yeah I know most do ... but I though it was cardinal sin #1 to take an f-car into an automatic car wash?

6. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    I haven't done it yet, but Dad sets up the Lawn sprinkler, sets it for "straight up" in the driveway (when it's not freezing outside) and drives the car over it. Seems to work.

7. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Hmmmm. Not a bad idea, Clyde. I'll have to try that.

Tom