Why so many maseratis? | FerrariChat

Why so many maseratis?

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Davidindallas, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Davidindallas

Davidindallas Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    I've been looking at 456's and maserati coupes. I'm getting a little nervous at the rapid depreciation of the maseratis and the seeming flood of cars with very low miles on lots as used cars. Is there some secret lurking problem with these cars that's causing everyone smart to stay away?

2. Attitude928

Attitude928 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    456s, 4200GTs, TRs & Diablos are all depreciating "like stones" (a la SCM), for different reasons. What do you want from the 456 or Maser?

3. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    Well, in a word, fun without enormous headache or enormous depreciation. The masers and 456 seem like opposites in that regard, the 456s should stop depreciating soon (I'm looking at a 95). The masers look like they could keep falling hard but at least the services are covered for the next couple fo years. I'm basically looking for a quick, comfortable car with a back seat that doesn't quite as much scream as my 328 does and yet is still very different. I'm inclined to keep the 328, but I would like something that's both fun and somewhat useable.

4. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    328 is a great car. Despite my bias towards the Trident, the 456 is a better performer & handler than the 4200GT. There are plenty of threads that go over the issues related to the 456 (esp the '95). My sense is that there is further to go with the depreciation of both cars. Maybe I'm wrong.
    The 365 GT 2+2 has gone up in price (~50K). The 365 GT4 2+2 & 400s are less inspiring, cost more to run and are priced lower (upper 20s). My sense is that the 412 is going to join the 400s in price. That 456 is a beauty. The 4200GT "ain't" bad either. It just boils down to identifying the right time to take the $ plunge.

5. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    I agree with everything you've said. I posted elsewhere once on this issue and got a lot of great feedback about the merits of a warranty on the maser, etc. versus the full on 12 cyl. thing. I've just finished moving and have been looking to make this move for months. Now I'm ready. There are two dark blue and tan 456's out west. The one I'm leaning towards has 21k miles and an asking price of about 80. It was listed at 89 on the website and 79 on market letter -- go figure. I've seen it on ebay a couple of times an opening bid of 77.5k and never a nibble. I think the car has had one owner and then went through an auction. It allegedly had a belt service done recently. I have no idea about the window recall, etc... I'm guessing a 95 like this should now sell in the low 70s. I just wonder where it will stop. I figure the c4s and the earlier 2 + 2 cars are all done ever going down. Likely, they'll go up. A good C4 or 365 2+2 is about 50. I can't see the 456 long-term ever being less than those cars once they all join the old ferrari club. So, am I thinking wrong to assume that if I bought an maintained this thing that likely it would, at worst, be worth the low 60s or so 5 or ten years and 15k miles from now? Thoughts?

6. playapimp69

playapimp69 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2003
    I think that the answer to ur question as to why theyr so many Maseratis lies in the facts that there are so many pimp ass playas such as my self - rockin it is the M-coupe. I personally have 3 i dunno about u guys but many of my fellow pimps sport the M-coupe too so. And unless u'es a pimp u have no right to even look at the sacred M-coupe as we call it.

Damn im tired of wasting my time wit u chumps.

Im out

7. The Game

The Game Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2003
    i strongly concure with the facts stated by pimplayafaggot69 or wutever his queer ass name is, u chumps have no idea what the M-coupe really is like, stop trying to pose urself over the net u fairy's...

8. Attitude928

Nov 1, 2003
    NYC
    Opinions;
    1. The first year that the 412 was built was 1985. It's price is still not stable, so I doubt that the '95 456's price will be stable ten years from today.

2. Price stability is a relative term. Exotic car prices vary over time, but may not always be corollated with stocks, bonds, gold, real estate, etc. I suspect that as the baby boomers top out in age, 60s & 70s classic car prices may wane for a while.

3. $60,000 for a V-12 Ferrari that looks and performs as good as the 456 (even if it is a 2+2) would be a good relative price for a 25 year old classic Ferrari. Why not enjoy it now and keep it for a long time.

4. The pimp & the game are one. They always post in the same threads.

9. Davidindallas

Nov 5, 2003
    All good points. As time goes by its interesting to see just how quickly the 456's performance edge is waning to say the Mercedes AMG offerings and the like. I lean to the 456 for exactly the reason you suggest, which is in the long term it will be a fun car to have and it should always have a buyer at a reasonable price. In the meanwhile, keeping up with the windows, the lights going up and down, etc... is the only real fly inthe oinment.