EURO STRADALE WEIGH-IN | FerrariChat

EURO STRADALE WEIGH-IN

Discussion in '360/430' started by wazza, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Guys,

Finally got it weighed today.

1400 Kg exactly.

Including

Full tank of petrol(115 litres)
    Tyre repair kit 1 Kg
    Tool kit 3 Kg

Including the following factory options

Roll Bar
    Fire Extinguisher
    Electric windows
    Stereo with Speakers
    Large Racing Seats
    4 Point Harnesses
    Alcantara all round
    NO Leather except steering Wheel
    NO Carpets.

Not Including Hand Book/Owners Manual 3 Kg

That's should be it.
    Please let me know if I've forgotten anything.

For reference

The Euro Manual states Kerb Weight @ 1290 Kg and Dry Weight @ 1190 Kg.

The Marketting Lit states Kerb Weight @ 1280 Kg and Dry Weight @ 1180 Kg.

Go Figure.

Best of Luck

Wazza

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Go Figure ?

Meh...Your car sounds sooo good that even at 2 tons it would be amazing !!

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks for posting, Wazza! 1400kg = 3,087 pounds. Which compares to the Car & Driver as-tested weight of 3,152 lbs.

I've been saying since the first details of the car came out.

A year ago, I wrote, "The 420 hp is believable, as is the optional A/C, but it can't be that light [only 60 kgs. more than a Challenge race car] -- not with all of the federally mandated safety equipment! Airbags, protection beams, etc. I would think that maybe the rumor is that the car is 60 kg. lighter than the 360 Modena, maybe? That would make sense... strip out some soundproofing, drop the a/c, stereo, use plexi instead of glass, lightweight panels, lightweight wheels, and that could add up."

So I guess this is just another example of Ferrari's flexibility with published numbers....

Oh, and to reiterate the position I took 12 months ago, the 360 Challenge will KICK the 360 CS's ass around the racetrack. :)

So, for $200k, I'd rather buy a 360 Challenge AND a 355 Berlinetta, OR a 360 Modena and a 355 Challenge.... :)

vty,

--Dennis

4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

I think that you could do the 360 Challenge and the 355 Berlinetta for somewhere around 175k for a top F355b and a raced but well maintained Challenge. Sounds like a deal to me.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Reasonable... but then to go to Monterey this summer, drive to the Concorsos, and then drive around the wine country and coastline with your Ferrari, and then take it to the track... you'd need to drive in your tow vehicle with both cars in tow.

In contrast, I'll be having much more fun in my Stradale ripping through the mountains of Colorado, around the Grand Canyon, and so on... through the wine country... and then around Laguna Seca. No damned tow vehicle or trailer needed! ;)

6. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    So, you're 110kg heavy... but those are some
    heavy options... I thought I read somewhere
    the roll bar was 60kg and the extinguisher is
    8kg. Given some decent size magnets on the
    speakers, maybe another 8kg? That would
    put you only 34kg off. Or 2918lbs total. Far
    more appealing.

Anyone know the actual weights for those
    three items???

7. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna

Brian,
    Let me know when you'll be here and I'll show you the good canyons to enjoy that Stradale.

8. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    My guess is the stereo is at least 5 Kg.

I could weigh the Extinguisher tomorrow.

And difference between plexi and electric windows is probably a net 10 Kg

But I think we're getting pretty close.

Wazza

9. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    well done Wazza! - thank you - what type of scale did you use?

Wazza....CS EU 1400 Kg 3080lbs
    Thomas..CS US 1407 kg 3096lbs

options:

- Fire extinguisher
    I have the fire extinguisher too. (I did measure it without fixture at 8 lbs (3.6 kg) some time ago)

- Stereo
    I took mine out so I have the wiring harness + tweeters in but not the head unit / woofer. I measured the head unit + woofer = 15lbs (6.8kg). I don’t have the cd changer.

- Roll Bar
    This is the biggest difference. I have 20 kg in my mind for the roll bar but can't remember the source. A quick search only yielded "The car can be fitted with either 3-point attachment or 4-point attachment racing seat belts and an aluminium roll-bar that's 40% lighter than a conventional type, developed specifically for the Challenge Stradale."

Well I will get one soon so we will know at that point. Brian I hope you are wrong 60kg!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Actually, I hope so too... I am also interested in adding one after the fact. I go back and forth... I think the risk is minimal giving I don't do head-to-head racing in it... and even if I did roll, I'd likely be fine without it... so, its really long odds that it'll save my life... but then, I only have one of those life things. ;) If its light enough, it'll be an easier choice... the heavier it is, the more difficult a choice it will be.

Please document it well when you get it and when you have it installed. Are you ordering it through your dealer? Will they install it for you?

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

will do - no I am working with Heiko; biggest problem is that I want to keep my original parts; i.e. it is a hassle to get all the part numbers sorted out - it looks like that my dealer will install since they are all Ferrari parts

12. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I asked about fitting the roll bar after delivery. No can do it seems. I also asked about it's weight. I wrote it down somewhere but can find it right now so I'll ask again. I didn't get it in the end because of rear visability (the car I drove had one) and the weight. From memory it was aroubg 30kg, certainly not 60.

BTW the best thing you can do to reduce weight is not take the wife with you :)

13. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    Can anyone tell me, does the roll bar add any rigidity to the chassis structure in any way?

14. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    That's a different answer than the rest of us have gotten. My understanding is that its a fairly straight-forward bolt-in. But I guess Thomas will be the first to figure out for sure as he is already "committed", so to speak. Thomas, thanks for pioneering all this stuff!

That could be right... it might have been 60 lbs rather than kg... relying on memory is a bad thing when you're constantly seeing different units.

But having someone in the passenger seat is half the fun.

But actually, there is a real easy weight reduction relative to the competition. I was reading the Autocar comparison of the GT3 RS and the CS... I noticed the GT3 has a pathetically little gas tank and a mere 277mile cruising range... just think how many more stops that would be from here to Monterey!! Anyway, it occurred to me its not quite fair to penalize the Stradale for having a bigger tank (which is JUST a good thing)... if you measured the Stradale with only the gas that fits in the GT3 RS, then you'd reduce the weight of the Stradale by about 50lbs! Or run with about 1/3 of a tank when on track... and save 100lbs. But then when driving to Monterey... fill 'er up!! :D

15. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    Sorry Robin,
    But i'm not sure I agree with you about the roll bar impairing Visibility.

In no way does my roll bar interfere with the rear visibility.
    It's fitted so tight to the walls and ceiling.
    Perhapse if you sat taller in the seat that may causes the problem.
    But i'm still not sure.
    The only thing is the centre strutt that strengthens the rear plexi glass on the engine hood.

Wazza

16. robinh

robinh Formula Junior

Jan 3, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, Engl
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I found the roll bar quite intrusive on visability. Must be my size/way I drive, poor eyesight but found it intruded by about a third at the top. Still, who's looking where you've been :)

17. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    would you mind posting some pictures of the rollbar from many different perspectives? inside views and outside? mainly from an aesthetic point of view. i like the idea of the added safety a rollbar offers, but i've never seen one in a 360 or a stradale.

18. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In particular, a picture looking back with your head near the roof in the driver's position... and another looking in the rear view mirror, with head near the roof. I'd very much love to see the visibility impact myself... and that's not possible in the US... well, at least not until Thomas gets his installed.

19. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I drove a 360 Hamann in Germany that had a factory installed rollbar, and it didn't interfere with my vision at all. Of course, I'm about 5'9 so my line of vision is perhaps a little lower than some other people's. When I drove this car, I could feel a slight different in terms of rigidity. It was not a big difference, but when you're going over extremes in the road, you could feel a bit of added rigidity from the rollbar. This car also had 4 point harnasses and racing seats, and the combo of the rollbar, harnasses and racing seats is probably the most cozy driving position and feel I've ever had! Wow.

20. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    he already has - browse down in the thread

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2197

21. wazza

wazza Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2003
    What those other pictures of the rollbar don't show is the rear view clearance.
    I'll try and get some tomorrow.

Thomas, as for the type of scales used.

A F.ING BIG ONE.

It's a local council run facility. I had to queue up behind a bunch of garbage trucks. Wish I had my camera.

It's also used by the local police and pretty much everybody.
    I did check with the bloke about the accuracy.
    He just told me to "Sod off" ( think that translates into American as Have A Nice Day).

So there you have it. Municipal workers- Love 'em.

But joking, aside I guess it's spot on.

Wazza

22. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Its funny that you brought your car to the local facility dump...I would have loved to have seen the faces of the guys in the dump trucks wondering why you are there!!

I also brought my Porsche to my local facility dump to weight it. From what I understand they are not the most accurate weight scales. They are normally weighing trucks in the 5,000 to 30,000 lbs range. A hundred lbs either way would not matter much on these scales. But, I believe you are very close to the true weight of the Euro Stradale though. :) ... give or take a few lbs :)

23. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    That's amazing! My F355ch in road trim (air con, carpets etc etc) with full fuel weighs 1450kg. I'm amazed that the difference is so little!!! What's going on??

24. dan360

dan360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks for Posting Wazza - I can just imagine you @ a local council with miserable "my old man's a dustman" types grumbling about your car :)

It seems to me that the weight thing is not just Ferrari bluffing somewhat wrt the US market, but wrt all Stradale's. I'm acutally happy that the US car seems to be relatively close to the euro car.

Now, all I need to do is install a destricted 360 GT engine, custom ECUs and I can go worry the 360Cs :)

BigHead is right that a 360/355C is a better/more sensible spend of 200K. My thinking is that a 360CS/355C is an even better idea if you've got the 275K required :)!!

Here's to spring and the ice age in my driveway ending.

25. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    I have a Stradale in France.

My manual says 1280/1180!!!

Yours at 1400 sounds right

Roll Bar about 50 kg
    Fire Extinguisher about 10 kg
    Electric windows about 20 kg
    Stereo with Speakers about 20 kg

which equals about 1300 kg

Mine has the roll bar, extinguisher, electric windows and came in at around 1340 kg, and i am not sure how much fuel was exaqctly on board.

Any case I have 5000 km on the car almost all track. Have used 3 sets of front tyres, one set of rear tyres and one set of pads (ouch! V. expensive!) and NO ONE can follow.No Porsche or Ferrari. Only an Enzo is quicker and only on a track where there is a long straight. On the twisty bits... bye bye.

Also ran against a Challenge car. He was about the same BUT he was on slicks and I was on road tyres.......