Any Chicagoans going to the National meet? | FerrariChat

Any Chicagoans going to the National meet?

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by Daryl, Jan 23, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    I've been considering taking the Dino out to Monterey for the National Meet in August. Anyone from the area going? Made any plans for shipping your car?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I'm going, but without the car. 5,000 Ferraris is enough, they don't need another 308. Dino is a different story though.

3. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Daryl: Myself and some of the "good old boys" have tickets in hand. I'm not sure if we are going to campaign a car or not-- it's still early.

I would like to hook up a "Chicago Contingent" dinner if anyone is intrested.

Drew

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    As a "bad middle-aged boy" I'd be happy to join your dinner. Ideally in Monterey I think.

5. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Monterey can work--but NO Italian food ! Every time we travel we always give some "Italian" place a chance and it"s always the same-- very poor. Other than New York, Chicago is the benchmark for REAL Italian food. (and of course Italy has good food -- but it's a long drive and it's tough to park)

Drew

6. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When in Monterey,Seafood is a must. My Dad used to live in Monterey and Salinas,for a few years. Always had some nice fresh Fish,from Fisherman's Wharf.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    :) love the note about parking

While on the Italian food subject: Worst thing I ever ate in my entire life: The specialty of Modena, some sort of stuffed sausage. Did the tourist thing and thought I had to eat the local specialty cuisine. Big mistake.

When in Rome, do as the Romans. When in Modena, do as the Mc Donalds...

8. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    Actually, in Rome the parking was easy--I just left the rental (a really nice Alfa) anywhere there was any room, which includes sidewalks.

Oh and tickets ?? Don't care about no stinkin' tickets--and they are still looking for me.

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Driving a car in Rome's traffic? You're brave!

Speaking of tickets: I must have set a new land record in my rental on my way to the (closing) Maranello Rosso museum in San Marino last spring. I got a lovely letter from the Ravenna police. Took me a while to decipher the Italian, but finally realized, that I was more than 30 km/h too fast. Whoa! In Switzerland I would have walked home...

Anyway, naturally they asked for a contribution to the Polizia fan club and I figured I better support C.A.P.S. of Ravenna if I ever want to reenter Bella Italia again.

So: Are you serious, did you never pay any tickets? Maybe I was too chicken, given their bureaucracy, but you never know. And Italy I will want to go back one day.

10. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    What I did get were "notizies" (excuse the lame spelling) which, I assume, were only parking tickets. Those are still in the glove box.

And for all the driving we did, in all the cities, at those wonderful triple-digit Autostrada speeds, I never got a mover. Whew!

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I was stupid enough to get caught by an automatic machine. Should have brought my V1 along. My love letter came from a judge, so I bowed my head.

12. MikeF

MikeF Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Bloomington IN
    Full Name:
    Mike Fisher
    I'm planning on going, but I want to bring two cars. My Maserati for Concorso Italiano and Maser Club events and my 308 for the FCA event after the Monterey weekend. Can't afford to ship TWO cars. I drove the Maserati out there a couple of years ago and that is really a long haul. I may end up flying and just be a spectator again.

As far as tickets: If the authorities trace the ticket to a rental car, and you don't pay it, you may be put on a list and not be able to rent any car from any rental car company. This happened to me with a ticket in France that I never even knew I had received. Was very difficult to clear up the situation almost a year later.

13. NotRed

NotRed Rookie

Jan 15, 2004
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Drew Massa
    I agree,being a spectator is easy and less stressful, but then being an actual part of the experience at the Nationals is rewarding on it's own--win or loose. It ain't about the plaques--it's about the experience.

Let me check with Mike E. and see if Continental may have a truck going out there this year and I'll get back to you. Drew.

14. paddle_shift

paddle_shift Rookie

Mar 30, 2004
    I am headed to FCA2004 as well. Already signed up for the drivers school and track event with my 360C. I have a two car trailer and only a tentative second car at the moment. Still looking for a lift for one of your cars?

15. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'm going... bringing the wife, but no Ferrari... I agree, the show does not need another 308.
    good luck finding a hotel if you don't have one
    BTW... get your concorso italiano tickets now.... save $20 each

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    My Dad lived in the Monterrey Area up until 2 years ago...just my luck...He moved down to SoCal...:(