348 Cat Question | FerrariChat

348 Cat Question

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ltjng, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    What's the different between test pipe and straight pipe? I am thinking to take my cat out for my 348tb, will I gain some BHP but lose the low end power? How about the sound?

I am also thinking to get wheel spacers as well, apart from out look, any effect on handling?

2. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Hi - Not sure about the first question, but I purchased 25mm rear, 15mm front spacers from Hill Engineering for my 348 and am very happy.

The spacers had a very noticeable (positive) effect on handling in my 348 as the car just drives better and wanders less in turns. The spacers also make the car look more "balanced" and normal for an exotic car. I would rate them as definitely worth buying.

3. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Itjng,

Test pipes replace the catalytic converters, straight pipes require the removal of the mufflers (Very very loud).

Shan,

I have the spacers as well, but have not put on the front ones. Do you notice anything different in steering. More bump steering? Harder to keep turned in when on the throttle?

Vincent.

4. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    Vincent - good question. I haven't noticed that at all. Actually the car seems more "sure" and less "twitchy" with the spacers on. Before the spacers, every high speed bump in a turn was less secure and the rear would lose grip without a lot of warning at higher speeds. Not sure about the specifics though - I'll try it out again after I get the clutch back in and let you know.

Shan

5. ltjng

ltjng Rookie

May 14, 2003
    Singapore, Sydney
    Full Name:
    Jackie
    Thanks Vincent and Shan,

Does fitting a test pipe produce any "good" sound on original exhaust? Any power gain or loss?

I like your pic in your profile Vincent, and do you have more of that to share? My 348tb is in black as well.

Good to share Shan, any more details about Hill Engineering?

6. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    ShanB

What tyres sizes are you running on the front and rear with the spacers ??

Vincent,

What tyres sizes are you running on the front and rear ?

7. ShanB

ShanB Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2003
    Tejas/Europe/Desert
    Full Name:
    shanb
    ltjng: Click on the "sponsors" link for more info about Hill Engineering. Paul Hill was very nice and answered all my questions. Great customer service.

Kenyon: I'm running on stock tires and rims.
    215/50-17 front
    255/45-17 rear

8. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    My 348 has test pipes. The HP gain is hardly noticable but the exhaust sound is. It's a tad louder. I think it's 1 step louder than a tubi (at a scale of being tubi is 2-steps louder, and tubi + test pipes is 3-step up). Also the throttle response is more responsive.

I also have 15mm spacers but only on the rear. I felt the fronts are not necessary since the factory only increased the rear track on later 348s.

IMO, spacers (and 18" wheels) are a must on these cars. And once you have them, you will never go back to stock configuration.

9. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    I have 18's on my.
    No spacers on the front, running with 225/40/18.
    I added spacers to the front, 15mm but the tyres kept hitting the front fender arch.

Do you think 235/35/18 would be OK with out spacers on the front ?

I run with 275/35/18 on the rear with 15mm spacers.
    I might o up to 285 or 295 not sure yet.

Overall the 348 spider handles great.