Awsome book on the F1-2000 | FerrariChat

Awsome book on the F1-2000

Discussion in 'F1' started by beast, Jan 26, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I just receved my copy of "Ferrari Formula 1 : Under the skin of the championship winning F1-2000" by Peter Wright. Just doing my intial browsing of the book all i can say is WOW..

This book has pictures of the insides of the 049 engine as well as the transmission, Engineering drawings.....

The price is a little high at $90 but it is well worth it.

ISBN # 0-7680-1341-0

I got my copy from the SAE bookstore but i think you can also get it from the publisher also at http://www.bullpublishing.com

Oh well i am going to go sit down and read a good book tonight.

Rob

2. il commendatore

Nov 20, 2003
  3. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    After a couple of days of reading they give you enough pictures and information that you could design and build your own version of the engine except for two items the cam lift and durration numbers and information on the torsional dampers for the cam drive.

This is truly an milestone considering the clock and dagger style of keeping technical information about the cars and engine a secret.

4. ferrariartist

ferrariartist F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    East of Toronto
    Full Name:
    Grant Thomas
    i have this book ordered... it was out of stock over Christmas... but its on its way!! now i cant wait even more than i did before!!!!

thx for the review!!!

GT

ps another recommendation is the one i DID get...
    CAVALLINO RAMPANTE: HOW FERRARI MASTERED MODERN DAY F1 by Nick Garten ISBN 1844250237

5. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Beast,
    There was a statement on Speed Channel on how long F1 technology is considered a secret or the rate of obsolesence. Probably why the book was released in 2004 on the 2000 car. Ferrari must feel that the competition has the info by now, or it would no longer be of any benefit over current technology.

I am thinking of picking it up myself. F1 technology from 2000 is still light years ahead of me and very interesting.

6. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I saw that and it does look pretty interesting.The price of it's alittle high though.

7. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Is this the book that you are talking about? The book on the F1-2000 is a lot more understandable than this one. I think that F1 Technology is aimed directly at engineers. This latest one goes so much more into detail where as the just discused general topics.

As for the items being relaease due to the fact that they are no longer cutting edge is a valid point but to be honest there is still enough detail in the book that a person with the means and time could infact take advantage of the technology that is being presented.

Rob

8. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Remember guys if you really wanted the technology all you would have to do is buy one of the cars. Ferrari sell their old cars now, and I would guess that the F2000 is probably now on the for sale list ...

I have seen the 97 F1 Ferrari in Australia that is in private hands and that was a couple of years ago!

Pete

9. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Rob,
    No, I was talking about the F1-2000 book in your original post. I had not seen that second book. Still above my simple brain ("put gas in , car run").

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mule;

If you have to pick from the 2 take fhe F1-2000 book as it is written more for the lay person. It is quite informative and easy to read.

The Second book is written by the same author of F1-2000.

Rob

11. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Beast,
    Maybe I will get both if I can find the second one.

12. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    Mule;

here is the ISBN for the F1 Technology book 0-7680-0234-6

And it looks like borders.com has it in stock

Rob

13. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie