The Life of Enzo Ferrari - Showing on TV | FerrariChat

The Life of Enzo Ferrari - Showing on TV

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by kenyon, Jan 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Guys,

On Friday 23rd on BBC 2 a programme called 'Time Watch@ is showing a documentry about Ferrari and Enzo himself.

Do Not Forget to Watch...

2. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    The Secrets Of Enzo Ferrari: Timewatch
    Fri 23 Jan, 9:00 pm - 9:50 pm 50mins

The name Ferrari evokes a heady mix of speed, danger and glamour. One man left a legacy of the greatest drivers and racing cars in the history of motorsport. It is a line that stretches down to current world champion Michael Schumacher. Currently, team Ferrari rule the world. This team remains the ultimate tribute to its founder, Enzo Ferrari.

Since his death in 1988, Ferrari has become the stuff of myth. In his life he helped create heroes, a sport, an industry. He belongs to a time when motor racing was the most glamorous and most dangerous sport on earth. Enzo Ferrari had a dream, and to create his dream he would test, he would manipulate, he would shape everyone around him. Ferrari's life story is a story of sex, of fast cars, of danger, and above all of death. His had a famously secretive life. Talking to those closest to him, as well as a clutch of motor racing legends such as Schumacher, Stirling Moss and Jody Scheckter, Timewatch lifts the veil on the secrets of Enzo Ferrari.

[With audio description]

Subtitles Stereo Widescreen

Website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/programmes/timewatch/index.shtml

3. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Watched this last night, I thought it was a great programme with some good vintage footage, Spotted a few mistakes mind you, e.g. where the original Cavalino Rampante Logo came from? Enzo was a great man but his unwaivering belief that the Racing Cars that he built were the biggest reason for success is flawed, as his assumed contempt for 'Rich Amateurs' who bought his sports cars that enabled him to research and develop better racing vehicles. Piero, seems like a much more level headed guy, Surprised Luca didn't make an appearance though ?

Steve

4. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    Didnt the Ferrari horse not come from his brother military division then ?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2003
    Groningen
    Full Name:
    Bob Hagendijk
    I believe it came from a airforcepilot that crashed after he shot a lot of planes. He always had the horse on his plane, because he thought it brought him luck. Later his parents gave it to Enzo after a win, for good luck. Enzo put it on a yellow background and fitted it on his racecars

6. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    I found this article somewhere on t'Internet that give an explnation of the horse.....

Enjoy,

Stig

The history of the provenance of the prancing horse in the Ferrari logo is not always clear to everybody and to be honest, we can only go by the explanation that Enzo Ferrari has given himself in his autobiography "My terrible joys" which first appeared in 1963 and in which he says:

"As my trade mark, I continued to use the rampant horse that had been used on the cars of the old Scuderia Ferrari.

The story of this rampant horse is a simple and fascinating one.

The emblem was emblazoned on the fighter plane of Francesco Baracca, the ace of World War I, who was shot down at Montello.

In 1923, when competing in the first Circuito del Savio, at Ravenna, I made acquaintance of Count Enrico Baracca, the hero's father; as a result of that meeting, I was subsequently introduced to the ace's mother, the Countess Paolina Baracca, who one day said to me: Ferrari, why don't you put my son's rampant horse on your car? It will bring you luck"

I still have Baracca's photograph, with his parents dedication in which they entrust the horse to me.

The horse was, and has remained, black; whilst I myself added the gold field, this being the color of Modena"

7. Steve275

Steve275 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 20, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hitherto, Programme was incorrect and Stig found the correct answer, Piero still refer's to Rampante Cavallino as Baracca's Pony - Even though it is a Stallion !

ATB,

Steve