Stradale BANNED (in Australia) - not Homologated! | FerrariChat

Stradale BANNED (in Australia) - not Homologated!

Discussion in '360/430' started by manu, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. manu

manu Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2002
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Manu
    just a quickie (barely get time to think now...)
    I just heard a rumour from a normally 100% reliable source close to the factory that a drunk driver was pulled over in a CS in Australia last week.
    After all the drink/drive issues, the Australian authorities took his car saying it was illegally noisy.
    The car was then re-tested (or tested for 1st time??) and deemed to not meet import/homologation criteria for Australia - apparently NO MORE STRADALES are going to the land of OZ..

Furthermore the real controversey is that the cars submitted for homologation purposes vary hugely from the road cars and even further from the press cars.....

*****This is still a rumour - can anyone confirm.. ?*****Have I reposted - is this old news?

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Wow..they really are uptight down there..

I guess they sent euro stradales to Oz ..Because the US Stradale surely isnt as noisy as the Euro.

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Thanks for giving me yet another reason to hate this sh*thole, Manu.

4. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    Wow, I hope this is not true!! Illegally noisy... now that is a stretch!! One guy spoils it for everyone else I guess?

Now, if they take away his car because he was dumb enough to be drinking and driving ... in such a "low profile" car like the Stradale well that is a different story :)

5. Mako99

Mako99 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 29, 2003
    Well there "Admiral Thrawn" why don't you just hop on a star destoryer and beam yourself out of the galaxy?

Or maybe your friend Chewbacco could give you a lift?

LOL

6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Australia is understandably very strick on noise. From what I understand many new Ferrari's and Lambo's come with an exhaust bypass valve that when you gun the engine it becomes effectively a straight pipe with no muffler.

This is 100% not acceptable on any public road (and I would have thought anywhere in the world) and I would like to see how pissed you guys would be after say spending 3 hours to get your baby to sleep and some as**hole lets rip in his play toy and frightens the child awake.

Even on race tracks over here (and again in most countries) there are now unfortunately noise limits (NZ it is only 100 db ... which requires MOST cars to have atleast a single large muffler) thus the CS would probably NOT be able to race anyway.

Don't knock Australia for doing the right thing and requiring Ferraris to be as socially responsible as every other car manufacturer. If somebody does not pull them into line eventually the greenies will start marching against them ... and then the rest of the worlds population will wake up to the total irresponsible lack of need for cars that are capable of 200 mph BUT do not require any extra driver training, etc.

**** many drivers cannot keep their 50 hp Holden Commodores on the road and with the way authorities think about road safety ... and how it is all speeds fault, what chance does a Ferrari owner have.

Pete
    ps: Nothing pisses me off more than somebody complaining about the country they live in, especially when they have the funds to do something about it. Thus if you vote and are wealthy then shut the f**k up or p!ss off. There are many people living in poverty and being raped, etc. in far worse countries in the world who do not have 1% of the chances your silver spoon has given you ... so stop the moaning and do something about it if you do not like it here.

ps2: Ferrari is not god, and they also have to comply with the rules. If it is only the noise that failed it ... stick a muffler on it will solve the problem.

ps3: I like Ferraris and going fast just as much as the rest of you, but I really (as I have said many times) think it is pathetic this supercar speed race. Unless you track your car in serious racing, you do not need 200 mph accelerating type performance ... you simply need a car that is emotive to drive and fun.

7. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    this is crazy.

8. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    the enzo is louder

have you head what that that freakin thing sounds like?!

9. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    and that in the land of criminals :) jk

its the right thing to do if it does not comply with their laws. Although rediculous since there will be maybe 50 cars in Australia.

Martin
    my 2c worth

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heh, I cannot remove the muffler of my Alfa Romeo and scream around and terrorise the neighbours, why should a Ferrari owner be any different!

I think some of you guys need to get out more and put those feet back on the ground ... they are only cars TOO, just like Toyotas, Hondas, etc. who also have to abide by the laws OR simply are unable to sell them in that country.

Australia's car laws are very similar to the US, we just have police who do on the spot checks. Why they do this is to try and stop idiots modifying cars without engineering knowledge ... thus they make very dangerous cars that kill other innocent people.

Now the police also do not have the engineering knowledge but carry a check list, which includes things like a block that must fit under the car to ensure the car is atleast the legal ride height, etc. I do not know how they test noise, but I did hear a funny story about a customised car they pulled over for excessibe noise ... the driver was death and thus could not hear a thing :D

While noise is not a dangerous thing, it excites the anti car movement, and thus I'm on the polices side as I want to be able to continue to enjoy driving with sensible noise limits, not be knee jerk restricted to something rediculous like 50 db ...

As for the guy being drunk ... hope he looses the car permanently!, and spends a nice long time in the clink with a real big bastard as a cell mate ;) ... no excuses for that crap!

Pete

11. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    you must be having a bad day................

you think i should drive a quiet ferrari so i dont wake sleeping kids in the neighbourhood?

LMFAO

12. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    512TR with tubis & no Cats, Thats loud, the 512TR race car with zero mufflers is painfully loud :)

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well what a considerate person :), so impressed.

I have owned many very loud cars, and the mature thing to do is to lift off and cruise when in a built up area. This is called respect for others ... or didn't your mummy and daddy teach you that!

When out in the open roads, yep let rip but you are supposed to slow down (and reduce excessive noise) in a built up area.

And you guys bash Australians ...

Pete

14. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    and what if you live in a metropolitan city where every area is a built up area?

i better run to the dealer right away and get my test pipes and tubi's removed. don't worry though, i'll keep it real quiet.

i have NEVER heard anyone complain about ferrari's being too loud. lol

15. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    WOW, you have a problem with modified cars killing innocent people down there???!! good thing the police are on it.

i better be careful if i'm ever in sydney. i didn't know the risk of being killed by a modifed car was so great.

16. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    :D lol

Pete

17. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    this is a laugh coming from the land of ambulance chasing, lawsuit at the drop of a pin litigious society.....

take the following example, why do insurance companies here only allow you to put wheel/tyre combinations on that increase the track by 1" ?

because morons thought that it looks "cool" to put seriously wide wheels on that strain the axles and eventually will break under heavy loadings, like going around a corner at speed.

I was pissed off when I was a kid and wanted to do this sort of buffoonery but after you've seen cars crippled on the side of the road due to stub axles breaking and you see the width of the wheels then it registers that some serious engineering and testing went into this limiting the track increase rule.

As for the noise I çouldn't care less about waking up the kids but an open exhaust in a built up area is just plain stupid, the by-pass valve on the Fcars is meant for the track and open highway where the intrusion is small.

Drunk driving has always been taken VERY seriously here for at least the last 35 years and has made most people more responsible in their drinking and driving habits, this is a BAD thing ?

If this story is true, and I haven't heard about it here Manu, I would suggest the Naz...err police were just being their usual "nail the rich bastard" selves and teaching him a lesson, and if he is drunk then he needed one .

18. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    hey moretti, sounds like your takin a shot at the americans!

but i am canadian, we love everybody!!

19. Sin

Sin Karting

Nov 28, 2003
    WA
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I would have to disagree with this comment. Things are quite different, you can get away with loads of things here (maybe not CA?) but in Australia you can't get away with **** without being EPA'd or canaried.

If anyone wants to know my thoughts on this further, check out the Aussie section.

20. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I, for one, find the noise level from a completely stock F355 just barely tollerable.

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sin,

I could not find a post where you discussed your thoughts on allowable road car modifications ... maybe you can help me.

The simple fact is that NOT everybody is able to understand the forces and stresses and other engineering things that go into the building of a car. Thus for their safety and others, there has to be limits.

From the cars I have seen on Australian roads you can build some pretty wild things (like 1000 hp utes, etc.) so the rules cannot be too bad. You just have to stick between the guide lines.

An overly noisy car, whether it is a Ferrari or a V8 Commodore, just incites anger from other road users ... or dare I say it other people that we have to share our space with.

NZ has this too. I can remember when it came in and all us guys that had race cars that were also 'road registered' had to fill in a certificate indicating the current modifications to the car. These were then allowed as they were done before the law changed ... any further modifications had to be along the same lines as in Aussie land.

In the end some just have to hate the system, even for no good reason other than it is just there. It really aren't that bad, and if you need to go outside the guidelines, then I have to ask why?, or I bet if you got a certified engineer to do the calcs (and hopefully prove that you actually NEED the mod :) at the same time) and prove it safe, etc. you would be okay.

The only law I have come across that I do believe is stupid is the use of catalitic converters and maybe unleaded fuel. I personally think the **** they put in unleaded fuel is more harmful than the lead ... and this was a case of the greenies getting all exited without doing enough research. Also once a catalitic converter gets old it does nothing ... and who checks those!

Pete

22. Rennphile

Rennphile Rookie

Nov 24, 2003
    Colorado
    I gotta agree with most of Pete's argument here. No matter how free a society we all think we live in, we owe a duty of care and consideration to others. And as with any law, there will be those that disagree with it. Hence the need for the law in the first place.

I can't stand the sound of an unmuffled hog at anytime of the day but imagine there are plenty of people that feel the same way about a Ferrari with test pipes.

Those of you who are amused at the thought of irritating others with a loud exhaust are part of the reason why we have rules.

23. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Manu - what state was the car-driver caught in?

AFAIK Maranello does it's own ADR compliance testing. So what you say about the noise could be true. But I understand the issue of no more CS for Oz was made late last year and wasn't anything to do with the noise or homologation.

24. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Noise??? My stock 550 is very quiet. It also goes quite fast.

25. EnzoNZ

EnzoNZ F1 Rookie

Nov 9, 2001
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Andrew Wass
    There was/is a problem in NZ with 'boy racers' (and some young girls as well), who who put outlandishly large & loud exhausts on their cars, install 5,000 Gigawatt stereo systems with sub-woofers that make the earth move, and then do burn outs and race at high speed in built up areas - and more and more of them are being killed and maimed along with a few innocents. Yesterday's paper had a smash where 4 16 year olds(I think) were killed when their car(suspected to be racing another in a built up area) smashed into a pole at an estimated 140km/h. The car disintergrated and the engine was found 50m away.

The politicians are starting to act and one of the actions they are taking is to confiscate cars for 28 days for various offences. With regards to noise, many cops carry DB meters and get the driver to rev the engine while standing behind the car. If you are over then you get 14 days(I think) to fix it or your car is taken off the road and not allowed back until it's fixed.

I have not heard of any Ferrari's being tested as yet- The Stradale will fail, along with the Enzo and the Tubis and challenge exhausts that are around.

Regards
    Andrew in NZ