308 GT4 owners - what to look for? | FerrariChat

308 GT4 owners - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doug, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    I will be looking at a '75 308 GT4 tomorrow and want to know some of the little $$$ things that you may have overlooked when you purchased yours. I am not new to Ferrari ownership (previous 308 GTS and 512bb) and know that certain models have specifics to look for. Any particular spots to look for rust as well that are not the obvious?
    Thanks
    Doug

2. Mike Florio

Mike Florio Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    NW Rural Nevada
    Full Name:
    Mike Florio
    Look at the bottom of the tubs on either side of the trunk.
    Remove the door panels and look at the bottom inside of the door - make sure the drain holes are open.
    Check the rear wheel well flanges - where the plastic wheel well connects to the fender.

That's all I can think of for now

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    Doug- Please fill in your profile.

I'm not sure where you are located, but issues like rust will be more of a problem on the east coast of the US vs the west coast. My car is a california car, and largely rust free, though I do have some bubbles on the corner of the front windshield.

First of all, get a mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection. They will check the car out completely and help find some of those small details.

Check out the fuel and coolant hoses. If they haven't been changed in a while, then it needs to be done. Be especially careful of the hose that leads from the tank to the fuel filler. Cheap to repair (though access is a pain), but potential fire hazzard if left alone.

I think most of the issues with the 308's are similar with the GT4's, so if you are familiar with the 308, you should be fine. I think the key will be a good PPI.

Hope this helps.

Dom

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Sorry about the profile Dom, didn't realize that it went away with the old Ferrarichat.
    The car is in the midwest, but I will find out more tomorrow regarding the history. I will do a PPI after a visual if i want to pursue it. I am budgeting in belts, valve adj., carb rebuild. It's the other little nitpick things that don't seem like much that can quickly add up. I may have more questions tomorrow after seeing the car in person.

5. 4re gt4

4re gt4 Formula 3

Apr 23, 2002
    Roseburg, OR
    Full Name:
    Hans E. Hansen
    I'd say shop it like it was any other 308. The only real differences are the specific areas of rust potential.

However, realize that these cars are older than the rest of the 308 series. So typical 308 maintenance areas need to be more critically looked at. Many/most of these cars haven't had hoses attended to. Beside the big fuel filler hose Dom alluded to, there are numerous other gas hoses that get neglected - such as the trio of short hoses on top of the RH gas tank. (Mine were all cracked and leaking badly.) Also, the long heater hose and perhaps the A/C hoses are probably in need of replacement.

Suspension bushings and shocks are often toast as well.

The other usual 308 issues tend to show up in spades because of the age of the car. Power windows, fuse box, steering gear, etc.

Just look at it with the reality that it's a 30 year old car that may have 30 years of accumulated maintenance needed to little items and go accordingly.

6. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    One thing you won't be able to see is the suspension corners. I mean the inner workings. Mine were completely toast! I had to replace almost everything in there and it is not cheap! I would also say to make sure it is all there, for example the light in the engine compartment, the lens alone is almost $100! Struts to hold up the engine lid and front bonnet, all these things add up to thousands, and it's not like you can run to your local autozone and pick up the parts.

7. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Took a look at this car the other day. If you can get a running US '75 GT4 for $12-$13k with a straight, rust free body indicating 11,000 miles would you do it? The car has no service records. The current owner has had the car for 10+ years and has never done anything except oil. Tires look to be original. The car has had a repaint that is average with underspray on the susp. Not Pebble beach, but presentable. Interior is nice, but seats are dry as a bone. Looks like they were re-dyed from red to black which would have made it a red/red car. I'm thinking that if I can get the car for $12k, put about $4000 into new tires and a belt change, valve adjustment and tune up plus $2k in extra misc., I can have a fun car for Under $18k with fresh services.
    Couple of questions, do you GT4 owners have surface rust/peeling paint on the expansion tank, some chassis areas under the front hood etc...? Also, looks like the front winshield was replaced with a botched home install...lots of silicone. I can check out the car again next week and the owner said he will have it running(needs a new battery and weather is very cold right now).
    I know that the suspension will eventually need a re-do. How much for the hardware for all 4 corners?
    Also, why do the exhaust tips have holes exiting the bottom?
    Thanks.
    If I decide not to get it, I will let you all know in case someone wants a running parts car. I am sure this cars is worth more parting it out.
    I will also be looking at a car that was EBAY a few weeks back that had no bids at $15k. It had an ugly spoiler on the back. I will let you all know how it looks.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Doug the windshield concerns me. I've heard that some of the aftermarket windshields don't fit quite right. Ferrari UK wants about $700BP for an OEM windshield. Locan quoted me $1200US for an aftermarket. If it is just a question of pulling the glass out and resealing it you gotta be real careful with it.

This is the quote I got from Ferrari of Ontario for the parts only for the corners

#101009 washer $21.26 Quantity 8 $170.08
    #109905 spacer $134.63 Quantity 8 $1077.04
    #100787 bushing $26.56 Quantity 8 $212.48

That's almost $1500 just for some washers and spacers for the corners! I got my parts from the UK with some other stuff, but it is still expensive! You still have to add on shocks, sway bar bushings, brake lines...

9. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    I'd do it, but it would be to make a track car for that price (keep my current GT4 as a collector piece).

My tank was intact and in good shape really. It was the flat sheetmetal of the chassis underneath it (and the opposite side of the car) that was severely corroded. Ferrari drilled drain holes, but they're useless. When I wash the car, I always have to towel-dry those areas.

Originally, U.S. cars had to have downward-pointing exhaust tips for emissions regulations. Looked awful with those little curvy pipes. Just one of the many items included in the face-lift updates of '75 cars included "dummy" exhaust tips to make them look more normal... But they still had holes on the bottom to meet the regs.

10. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I have a friend who is looking for a gt4 in good original condition if anyone has any leads let me know. I told him to go to the CI as this year the featured car is Dino

11. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    DOUG!!! IF YOU DONT BUY IT pm ME OR POST. IM SERIOUS. michael in GA .

12. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Michael
    No problem
    I will let you know by Thurs or Friday after I check them out again.

13. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  14. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Michael
    I sent you an email. If you didn't get it, let me know.

15. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thank you Doug, it was nice talking to you on the phone, happy hunting, i have not had any reply yet from the owner of the car. michael

16. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    \

Um...I don't think so. A car that's really neglected will be needing a lot more than what you list. Brakes, exhaust, clutch, water pump, radiator, suspension...on and on. Every system will be suspect. You'll end up needing a complete restoration. Been there, done that with my Lotus except my parts are 1/4 the cost of yours, and my Europa is 1/10th as complicated. If a perfect Europa costs $15-20k to restore (it does) then a GT4 would be more in the $30k range at least. For that $ get a really nice Mondial.

Ken

17. Dino 208gt4

Dino 208gt4 F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2003
    European Union
    Full Name:
    Roel
    #17 Dino 208gt4, Feb 9, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

SO WHAT??? I should prefer MUCH MORE a gt4 then a Mondial.........

Ciao,
    Roel
    www.dinogt4register.com

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. BoxerCrazy

BoxerCrazy Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2002
    Charleston WV
    Full Name:
    Douglas A Hunt
    VERY NICE!!! I love the red interiors(the silver exterior is non too shabby either)!!!!!

doug

19. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    I didn't mean to bash your choice of car; sorry. Some GT4 people choose the car thinking it will be cheap, which is why I mentioned the Mondial. I love GT4's too; but still, the better example you start with WILL save a lot of money over you doing major restoration on a more needy car.

Ken

20. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    This is a modification for the US market. European versions have straight exhaust tips.

21. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Peter and Ad de Koster,

Did the 1975 308 GT4 have a thermal reactor type muffler?

Barry

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Yes. A square boat anchor weighing 100 lbs.

Even California now exempts 1975 cars from smog checks. This means my 75GT4 mysteriously lost its boat anchor in the back.

23. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Yes it does. For detailed questions like this, check chapter O in the workshop manual. You can download this manual from

http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/

24. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Yes, the original 75 GT4's only have the thermoreactor mufflers with no cats. BTW, here is my baby getting a facelift, at least another month of work here. :)

25. bpcurtis

bpcurtis Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Dickinson, TX
    Full Name:
    Burnell P Curtis
    All, I finished restoring my 75 308 GT4 about two years ago. I did all of the work, motor, body work, paint, etc. I had the interior done. It will cost about $15k and a hugh amount of labor, depending on the body work needed. Mine was badly rusted, so I replaced all of the interior panels and replaced a lot of the lower parts of the outer panels.

Mine is now for sale (too many cars). You can see a photo on www.lsrpca.com in the ads section. I am going to post an ad here soon. I am asking $29k because it is totally restored and won many awards in local shows.

Burnell