An eBay story | FerrariChat

An eBay story

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by WCH, Nov 10, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    Given all the eBay posts, thought the following brief story might be of interest.

A recent thread here discussed a 360 offered for sale through eBay at a very low price, no VIN, only one picture, mileage listed as 6,500, specified US car, east coast US location, auto transmission.

Curious and skeptical, I sent the seller an e-mail asking for VIN and photos. No reply.

The auction then ended with a winner. Within a very short time after the auction ended, I received the following e-mail from the seller:

"Hi Will,

I have for sale a 2001 MODENA F1 360 Ferrari in excellent condition. It is a beautiful car and it is 100% adrenaline guaranteed. The car has never been in an accident and it runs like fire. It has no hidden damages and has warranty left until Feb. 2004. I must sell it because it is way too fast and too furious for me. The Ferrari is not actually my type of car and I want to sell it because I want a slower one, which will fit my needs.

The vin # is ZFFY[etc].

Thank you, [name withheld]"

I replied by asking whether the car mentioned in the seller's e-mail was the same car the seller had just sold vie eBay, and the told seller I didn't want to interfere with an eBay deal. I also offered to travel with my wife to personally inspect the car, if it in fact remained available.

Then I googled the VIN. Turns out an independent West Coast dealership had a car with the same VIN for sale - but it is not clear to me that the dealership still has the car, I didn't call. The Cali dealer listed the mileage as 470, and transmission as manual. Guess the Cali listing could be quite old. But there's more.

I then received a second e-mail from the seller, as follows:

"Hello Will,

I will be sending the car from Italy with sea cargo and it will reach the [US east coast] area in aprox. 1-2 weeks.

Thanks, [name withheld]"

I'm getting bored with this. I guess it could all be for real - perhaps the car really sold in Cali at 470 miles, then was shipped to Italy (for a transmission conversion?), and now is coming back. I have no evidence of fraud, I'm simply giving you the facts.

I'll bet eBay is full of this kind of story. And yes, I know I have too much time on my hands.

Cheers, Will

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    I sell ocean front property in Arizona on Ebay...i'm telling you I will get rich

3. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    The fact that the seller used the phrase "too fast too furious" in his reply in reference to a Ferrari is enough to turn me off

4. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Very scary story. If someone wants to really sell something then they usually will post as much information as they think is necessary to get the interest up...the info. will be mostly positive of course. But I have never heard of sending a car back to Italy for a trans conversion. And considering the number of 360s available and the money required to get one I would think you'd get the trans you want and not have to settle for a specific type. This story has too many twisties in it, expecially the vin number issue. Sure it could be legit....but I doubt it. I would imagine the seller is hoping to get a downpayment of some sort and then split....never to be heard from again.

5. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    Sounds like an elaborate version of the ol' Nigerian 419 scam to me!

6. AJF1

AJF1 Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    AJ
    I got the same email about the car coming from italy. I sent a reply email questioning why it says new jersey in the description and they are shipping the car out of italy. Its definitely a scam, I recall the same photo on a previous auction and the car was out of denver??? On that particular auction the seller was very forthcoming and even had a phone number. These people running these ebay scams are so stupid, most aren't smart enough to use a realistic description. Come on "too fast and furious", phrases like that are definite red flags. As far as I am concerned if you send money to someone like this, you deserve what is coming.

7. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I wasn't aware that Chris Sawyer was importing cars these days.

8. spidr

spidr Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2003
    SCam!!!

Tell him you just happen to be in Italy on vacation right now and will come take it for spin tomorrow and then bring it back with you.

9. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That wasn't a scam!!!! I was assured I would get my money for helping the poor guy out. It's only been six months since I sent them the bank fees. I doubt they'd screw me over like that, that'd be unethical.

If it was a scam, I wouldn't have bought the Ferrari (just waiting for the check to arrive) on borrowed funds.

10. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I am emailing the seller on Ebay...the car is now in Lisbon, Portugal (boy this car gets around!). Still wants $5k up front to show I am "serious"....yeah right. :)

11. WCH

WCH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 16, 2003
    "These people running these ebay scams are so stupid, most aren't smart enough to use a realistic description. Come on "too fast and furious", phrases like that are definite red flags."

What surprises me, too, is the unimaginative and lazy scamsmanship. My comment about the transmission conversion was meant to be funny - the whole thing doesn;t hang together at all. When I see only one photo and no VIN in an eBay listing, I assume it's a phony deal. In this case, though, I give high humor marks for the "too fast and too furious" and "100% adrenaline guaranteed" lines, which my wife and I enjoyed.