Where to get a car detailed? | FerrariChat

Where to get a car detailed?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Stickanddice, Jan 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Whats a good place to get a Ferrari detailed in Houston? Somewhere where they know not to splash water around everywhere and all that junk. Car is a spider version, so people who know how to do convertibles would be nice. I hate when you get a drop top detailed and you get all the lint from the rags stuck on the top.

Cheers

2. F328 BobD

F328 BobD Formula 3

Mar 17, 2001
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I've got to think JRV can get you some good contacts in this business.

Good luck.

3. TC (Houston)

TC (Houston) Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Taek, if you want to bring it by Saturday afternoon I'd be happy to do it for free. :)

We do a lot of that sort of stuff.

4. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas
    Trashy German cars. :)

5. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    We love german cars, but wouldn't kick a 360 out of the garage. :)

6. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Just to clarify, I'm not a professional detailer or anything, just a car enthusiast who loves to clean cars. We get together on the weekends and wash cars for a couple of hours and bs around. Kind of make a social thing out of it.

7. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i will vouch for TC! i trust him more than i trust myself with my TT (which is red, btw) and 360. i've joked with him that he needs to quit his day job and open up a detailing shop!

8. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    LMAO!

9. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Dude, I've gotten 3 pm's asking where my shop is located! :)

Maybe I should try to turn this into a business. There seems to be a lot of demand for this sort of thing.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I'm kinda warming up to the idea of a hoity-toity lawyer washing my car. Geeze, I knew times were tough, but I had no idea! :)

Dr "I ain't washing no cars" Tax

11. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Unlike Dr. Tax I don't mind getting my hands a little dirty. Hey, unemployed guys have to do something to keep busy!

TC, I got your PMs and will PM you my number. I don't really know the area so I don't know what to make of the streets you gave me.

A close intersection to my crib is Voss and Memorial so you can use that as a reference point. Other streets I remember are Kirby (because of the video game :)) and San Felipe (I've been down it a few times). These streets might be long but I suspect you are familiar with River Oaks. I understand if you don't want to meet at your place but I really need to detail this car before I send it to California. Sounds like it would be cool if we can get some more folks to join. Hey, free labor! Wooohooo! Porsches are of course welcome simply because they are superior cars. Hehehe. Let me know if you need me to bring any cleaning goods, I'll stop by somewhere to buy some. Errr...where do you buy this stuff again? Give me a call tonight or tomorrow so we can figure a time.

Cheers

12. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Lol. You name the time and the place and I'll appear with wash bucket in hand. Just don't b!tch about the bill when it comes, I'm very thorough! :)

Seriously, though. Surely you wash and detail your 550?!! If you don't you're really missing out. To me, the car is about the driving experience and the beauty. What better way to experience the beauty than to put your hands on it and make it beautiful?

13. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    We shall soon see! :)

You coming to Detail School? I'm dying to figure out how to wash the top on one of these suckers. Hope to learn a good amount! See you guys on Saturday!

Cheers

14. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, what time are you guys getting together Saturday? Unfortunately, I'll be working at least up until noon. Gotta pay bills...<sigh>

Dr "No detail is too small" Tax

15. ty (360mode)

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    i should be there and i'm STILL learning!

doc, come on down... otherwise, see you sunday :)

16. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Jeez, you guys. Don't build it up too much, we're just going to wash and wax some cars! It's not rocket science! :)

17. Scott_in_Houston

Dec 17, 2003
    Housotn, Texas

TC is good. (I think I am too, but I'm not offering my services)

:)

It really isn't that hard to learn, just some reading and then go experiment on someone else's car! hahaha I kid I kid....

Seriously, you'll learn a lot when you wash with other folks in a group.

The key to the soft top.... micro fibre towels. ZERO lint on that top afterwards.

I washed and waxed my Turbo a couple of weeks ago with another friend of mine, and each time we do that, we learn new things. It's also fun to see all the beautiful cars in one place... so nice and shiny. :)

18. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Former investment consultant (Sweet Title) looking for work with a detail shop. TC lets open one up. I have been good at real work. TY knows that I am much better doing manual labor.As of 5pm I will be unemployed. I could probably get some seed money to get the thing off the ground.

19. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    I was thinking that this would be a very hard business to make any money in, especially if it had investment consultants and lawyers doing the labor (opportunity cost?). :) Maybe what would work better is to open one of those automated/hand wash type places and have the detail shop as an ancillary operation.

20. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul

Maybe for you attorneys the opportunity cost is high. For us in the money business, the beta goes down if I move in to any other industry. I am ready for a change.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I've got these pesky handprints that don't seem to buff out.

Do you guys think you could fix this?

22. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    TY and TC! It was great meeting you guys. Always thought washing a car was a pretty straight forward exercise. Todd showed me a thing or three on how to do it right. The car was pristine when finished. Thank you!! Just got my skid plates put on it today.

Todd, can you email me a list of the products you used? I remember most of the stuff, expecially that grape smelling tire stuff, but I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Cheers

23. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    LOL! That would be Meguiers Endurance. I LOVE that stuff!

24. TC (Houston)

Feb 5, 2002
    Houston
    Haha, so I guess the car is not on its way back west yet? :)

It was great meeting you too. I'll put together a list of supplies for you. PM me your email address or I'll PM the list if you prefer.

25. Stickanddice

Stickanddice Formula 3

Nov 2, 2002
    Not quite yet. JR was a little concerned when he saw the 360 missing. He wasn't quite done. I'm getting the bottom piece painted before I put the skid plates on for good. They were put on for fitting purposes, but now we gotta get rid of the existing scratches. Then a quick once over for a final check (oil, transmission fluid, washer fluid, A/C freon or whatever they use now, tire tread, tire pressure, wheel balancing, etc.)

Feel like driving the piss out of it before I send it out. Put a couple thousand miles on the sucker. Then I can put the exhaust and air boxes, and all the other performance stuff. But it'll be gone soon. I put my wife's birthday gift in the car, and her birthday has already passed, so I'm feeling bad enough as is.

I sent you a PM.

Cheers