Best place to purchase models & supplies | FerrariChat

Best place to purchase models & supplies

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Schatten, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Besides the little items that you can pick up at a local hobby supply store, what is the best place to pick up models?

Where do you buy them?

btw, this is referring to models, not necessarily pre-build die-cast ones. but include those if you have any tips besides BigLots for the HotWheels issues.

2. spivy

spivy Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    Newton, MA
    Full Name:
    Gene Spivak
  3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    hmmm, those are custom built, pre built. not exactly what I'm looking for but thanks.

btw, if you own the site or know who does: a stardale model doesn't exist and the ebay link doesn't work. =/

4. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have had good experiences with Exoticar.com.

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i haven't actually bought anything off exoticar but their shop in NY is awesome but i have heard some bad things about them (cancelling orders at the last minute without reason, problems getting refunds etc)

6. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    If you are talking plastic models that you have to assemble try

http://www.internationalhobby.com/ihs/
    http://www.ewa1.com
    http://www.plastic-models.com/

Rob

7. jj2728

jj2728 Karting

Jan 19, 2004
    Ontario
    don't forget ebay.....i know that in 1/43 there is always a decent listing of unbuilt kits for sale....

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I think the best models (that you make) are the Pocher models, sometimes they come up on ebay, try scaledetails. I think they are on Ferrarichat.

9. Dave328

Dave328 Formula 3

Nov 24, 2002
    Katy
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I've used Phoenix Model Co a few times and am very pleased,
    http://www.phoenix-model.com/

They carry just about anything you could want!

Dave

10. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    I have good experiences with Exoticar, though they have very few kits. They have some great stuff for building displays like scale car lifts and garage supplies.

I used to be really into 1:24 die-cast kits, but I can only find a good selection at hobby stores. The closest hobby shop to me is 65 miles away, so I have to find alternatives.

I have always had an easy time finding what I need/want at those close-out stores and it is relatively inexpensive. I try to check back once a month. They usually have a fairly good selection of things; you just have to look. Granted, you are not going to find $250 Pocher kits there, but you may find paint, brushes, and sometimes decals that are usually sold at a hobby shop. I have found packets of Porsche and Ferrari decals before at such a place. Just do not buy anything perishable that looks like it has been sitting awhile.

If you are brave, you can also try the toy department of a discount store. The selection is nothing great and the looks you get a pretty ugly. This is probably a place just for supplies like paint; the kits are better and less expensive at a close-out place. The paint is fresh, so to speak.

11. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Hello,

I'm a newbie here. I just wanted to tell you about www.diecastmotorsports.com . We carry 1:18 scale diecast race cars in various categories. We carry some Ferrari's and hope to add more to our product line.

Ross
    DieCast MotorSports

12. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to the board Ross!

If you're interested in sponsoring FChat, let me know. That would give you a chance to have more exposure going forward and put in plugs like this.

13. model builder

model builder Formula Junior

Oct 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Edward Cervo
    Island Collectibles carrys literally thousands of model kits, mostly resin in 12th, 24th and 43rd scale as well as handbuilt model cars. No diecasts. Lots of Ferrari kits.

www.islandcollectibles.net

Ed

14. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Yeah, I just recently discovered them. Absolutely amazing! After I saw their many, many kits, I decided to rearrange my workspace. Lots to do, let's get started!

15. DieCast MotorSports

DieCast MotorSports Formula Junior

Feb 10, 2004
    Michigan, USA
    Tifosi12,

Can you give me the Sponsor info?

Thanks,
    Ross

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/ads.htm

Let me know how I can help. We already have one model sponsor that sells hard to find and custom painted 1:18's. I usually don't mind small overlaps though.

Thanks,
    rob

17. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    For handbuilts and kits I can advise www.grandprixmodels.co.uk. Excellent service they have, never had any problem. They also have a professional subscription magazine appearing 10 times a year with reviews of the newest models.