FIAT | FerrariChat

FIAT

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Prancing_Horse, Jan 29, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    This is a question that is always bugged me

I know alfa romeo will be coming to the US soon but what about FIAT

Why did FIAT stop selling in the US?

it makes absolulty no sense

2. Andersen

Andersen Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Europe
    Fiat decided to stay focused on building small cars and figuerd they would not sell so well in the US.

Do not feel like you have been late for the party, because its just been a mass/mess, really, at least this side of the millenium.
    In the late 80's the Uno Turbo ie. was fun and so was the Coupe 20V of the late 90's, but these days...nothing!
    Stilos and Multiplas are great cars for distributing fresh croisantes and flowers through narrow streets in european cities.
    Anyway, they are different, nice different and the quality is pretty good too.

3. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    well small cars are begining to become more popular because of gas prices

i think they should start thinking about it agian

4. sjmst

sjmst F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Because they were not selling. They had an awful rep...
    (eg FIAT stood for Fix It Again Tony) etc. Some of the bad rep was deserved. But, there were other cars that were not reliable that survived (Jaguar comes to mind). For whatever reason, economic or otherwise, Fiat decided to leave rather than fix the problems and market agressively.

If you are interested in Fiats, check out www.flu.org

5. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Really bad dealer network, and cars that disintegrated in winter salt states.

6. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele

you're really right ;)

7. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Hi there,

You're actually saying the US doesn't like this??? A Bravo for instance.

I've got a '99 Fiat Bravo GT as a daily driver. Done already 280.000km with it (175.000miles) without any problem. Who said you can't trust a Fiat! It's a great car with superb looks for a small car. Or is it just me? :) A matter of taste?

And what about the Fiat Barchetta? Wouldn't that sell good in California?

Greets, Alex

8. tifosi69

tifosi69 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Full Name:
    Al-Al Cool J
    That black Bravo looks cool.

9. Prancing_Horse

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan

thats exacly what im saying

were only getting alfa romeo but thats in 2007

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, I think the Barchetta is currently the worse selling car in the world ... but I guess that does not mean Californians won't buy it ;)

I believe also that FIAT in Italy is being hurt badly by Italians choosing the Ford Focus instead of the home grown equivalent ... oops.

Still I do hope that FIAT pull themselves out of the ****.

Pete

11. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
    you're right...and Fiat is coming out of the sh.t: the new Panda sold 130.000 cars from the start of sales (6 months ago I think) without a diesel engine (coming next month), Lancia Ypsilon sold 65.000 cars in no much more than 3 months (always without a diesel engine, now on sale).

These numbers are actually really good in Europe.

The Barchetta had manufactury troubles (it has been out of production for 7-8 months due to the manufatury's restoration), and now is coming back to the market with a lifting.

The Bravo was a good car (we have a Brava at home), but there were better cars....the Stilo is a wonderful car with an horrible german-shaped design....

Fiat has to come back to Europe before coming back to the Usa ;) :)

12. alx355gt

alx355gt F1 Veteran

Feb 3, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Alexander
    Like I said before, NEVER had problems with my '99 Fiat Bravo and done already 280.000km/175.000miles with it. IMO the Bravo has more "stilo" then the Stilo!
    I don't like the looks of the more recent model that much. Although I like it more than a Astra or Golf. My next car probably will be a Alfa Romeo (147 or 156; 148? or 157?).
    The Barchetta still is a goodlooking car.

Greets, Alex.

13. Fiatz79

Fiatz79 Rookie

Jan 28, 2004
    Then Again... So did Hondas of that vintage. Remember the CVVC? LOL
    Those things would rust rolling down the road.

--Ron
    1994 Alfa Romeo 164LS 24v
    1979 Fiat Spider 2000
    (1 little rust spot and still going!)

14. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
    glad to see you love italian cars ;) :)

the 158 will be on sale next year, on june there'll be a restyled 147....so, wait for these cars ;)

The 158 will have new JTS engines and a 2.2 JTS turbo with over 300 hp ;)

really don't like Astra and Golf, i agree with you about the "stilo" ;) :D....I'd buy a 147 right now.

15. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    Just thought you guys would like to see some pictures of some "old Ones" all run, race and are very dependable. Plus I had to include a picture of my winter "projects".

16. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    holy sheet! i have never seen so many in one place! you rock !!!! that is really cool!!!!

17. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
    really wonderful cars!!!

did you get them in Italy?

18. abarthracer

abarthracer Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Falmouth, Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    david S.
    No I didn't get them from Italy, and they are all parked in my garage here on Cape Cod. Just toy's that are easy to work on and fun to play with. Plus I can get 5 of them into a 2 car garage! Sad part on the gray/red one is that I bought it last OCt, had it for a month, took it to the last race of the season and proceeded to roll it 3 times! I think it is fixable, but we will see. It was a great little hotrod!

19. Pat

Pat Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Genova, Italy
    Full Name:
    Emanuele
    ;)

please don't destroy them!

those cars has an history!!! ;)

I know how little and fun they are....my dad had a 500 till 14 years ago.... :)

20. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Great collection, David!! :) Ironically enough I was talking to my dad about the Fiat 500 he used to have when he was in the Air Force. He says it was a nice little car until the tiny little dipstick popped out while on the PA Turnpike and burned out a few engine bearings :( I still can't figure out how he'd fit into one as he's 6ft. tall...I'm taller than that so I'd NEVER fit in one. Fun little cars no doubt.

Great looking Bravo, Alex! I'm sure had Fiat exported those to North America it would sell reasonably well. It definitely has much more pinache than most of the crap out there these days. :)