The Las Vegas Raiders | FerrariChat

The Las Vegas Raiders

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Mar 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1 TheMayor, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Get used to it!

Today the Raiders will get the approval from the league to move to Las Vegas. There are still questions though.

When will they start to play? The Raiders have one more year on the lease. It could be extended but it depends on fan support this coming year. It's possible the Raiders could play in Sam Boyd Stadium for 2 years while the new stadium is built. Rumor has it that Oakland actually wants to kick them out anyway after next year's season.

The new $1.9 Billion stadium will be built (most likely) on the South Strip near the airport and south of the Mandalay Bay hotel. Taxes for the project are already being collected and the property is available as soon as the league gives the OK. Construction should start next year.

When I moved to Las Vegas in 2006, never in my wildest imagination would I guess we would get a major league sports team --- now we have 2!

It's only been 16 months since the first rumor of a "possible" move would happen. I've been following the ups and downs since. I, like many in Vegas, thought Davis was using us as a bargaining chip. Maybe he was but when Nevada authorized $750 million for a stadium the shock set in -- could it really happen?

The answer today will be: YES! And, the new stadium is exactly what Vegas needs for other venues. In addition, the Nevada legislature funded a ton into improving and expanding the Convention center in the same bill as the stadium.

Here's to a bright new future for the Raiders. Welcome!!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    congrats on being a better city than St Louis!

:eek:

3. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Love it. Good for Vegas, the NFL, and the Raiders.

NorCal already has the 49ers.

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I wonder if they will build a dome?

Aug, Sep and Oct can get pretty hot during the day. They should at least put in lights to avoid the heat with night games.

5. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    $1.9 billion retractable roof dome stadium already approved. The next most expensive stadium is the new one going up in LA at something like $2.4 B which has the same roof.

Expensive toys!

6. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Can't wait to see what season tickets are going to be going for. I want! When I moved out here in 2008 I never even thought about this happening here. I heard on the radio today that Mark Davis had trade marked the name "Las Vegas Raiders" in 1998. I guess he had been thinking about this more seriously than most had thought.

7. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Scott...prepare to learn the phrase "Personal Seat License". Great news for the city and county. Some sort of light rail is essential. The 2020 defending NFL Champion Philadelphia Eagles will play the Las Vegas Raiders in Nevada in the 2021 season. Oh, Man!

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I can see my LA Broncos fans friends driving to Vegas for the game. And they can go to the Chargers game in LA as well. (They used to drive to San Diego.)

Glad they are putting in a dome ala Arizona Cardinals.

It will be interesting the next three years. Raiders have an option to play in Oakland for two years. The third year is up in the air. Maybe they can share the 49ers stadium until the dome is finished. Plenty of time to get the schedules straight.

9. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Can't wait until they get the super bowl....!!!!!

10. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Good thinking. Usually new stadiums are rewarded with a Super Bowl.

11. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    No gambling on Raiders games in Vegas.

12. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Source? I highly doubt the city will change gambling laws to appease the NFL.

Mark

13. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Maybe it was a condition to get the deal done... maybe just a ban on Vegas home-games only... let them get in there and settled and roll it back.

14. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I just googled around and found nothing aside from conjecture stating that the NFL could request gambling on Raider's games be banned. Again, I don't see the city agreeing to limit gambling. That's just not how things are done here.

Mark

15. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    Good.

Why would the NFL care anyway? That's where a lot of their $$$ comes from.

As long as the players aren't throwing games because of it... I don't see any problem.

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

My understanding is that this didn't come up. I think there's no change. The problem in trying to do it is you can do it online now. So, what's the point?

17. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yea I haven't heard anything of the sort.

18. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Gambling on NFL games is illegal in 49 states...anybody anywhere in the country ever have difficulty getting action if you wanted it? Didn't think so. I'm with the other gentlemen here..have not heard one word about a bar to wagering on LV Raiders...can't imagine how it would/could work.

19. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Sorry guys, I didn't mean to cause a stir, i was just making a general comment. I am wondering if their won't be a line on Raiders home games. Isnt it true that there are no lines on UNLV college games?

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    As if the fans in Oakland aren't crazy enough, this might send them over the edge. I'd worry about a riot...

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Let's see, in more normal cities young NFL and other pro sports players get themselves in plenty of trouble with women, drugs, alcohol and gambling. What could possibly go wrong in Vegas? :D

22. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol...that just means that players in Vegas won't have to go very far to get in trouble, as they will be surrounded by all of the above.

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
  24. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
  25. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    1) Have they even thought about the heat in August camps, let alone September games?

2) They can 'ban' betting on the Raiders all they want, it won't stop it, and anyone that
    thinks it will is an idiot.
    Besides, folks bet on teams all the time, just because the clearinghouse for most of this
    gambling also happens to have a team means nothing, really. Living in Vegas doesn't mean
    you will bet on the local team anymore than when they were in Oakland..